• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc What is the super hottest pepper with a very short production period?

Hi Guys,

most of superhot have like 100 - 130 days to be ready for harvest...

some has lower time frame (like Maya red hab) which are in the 70 days...

is there any SUPER HOT (in the 7 pot, naga or scorpion range with a very early production window?)
or an super hot hybrid

since im in a zone 5 i need to take care of that part of the equation...
i know that a lot of annum are able to cope with that... but the chinense... hummm

I do not know about super hot. But the best all around heat/finish time has to be Cayenne for the win.

70 days your picking peppers5x hotter then a jalapeno.

Wait there is a red hab you say that produces in 70 days wow!!

<> Yes me too synclinorium. I would like to know as well. <>

<> Thats what I thought romy6. Because Cayenne is 70 days, is there really a hab that is that quik?<>

"The Red hot paper lantern are in the 70-90 range to help some guys here"- Wow. That is quik!!!! You should just try that one.

"I need to make a cross with some super hot and annuum to make a super hot early pepper ;)"- Is that possible? :cool:

<>People use jalapeno as cross a lot I see? Is it because it is so productive and strong?<> Posted today, 1:44 pm

I'm always confused by the time given. Is this time from the seed being sown or time from transplant?

(I should probably know this by now)

(or are we just talking time from pollination to ripe pepper? I think this would be most useful, honestly... )

ok thanks...

The Red hot paper lantern are in the 70-90 range to help some guys here... and this is one of the closest hab type with good heat
maya red hab and some like that fit in the profile...

i need to make a cross with some super hot and annuum to make a super hot early pepper ;)

ok thanks...

The Red hot paper lantern are in the 70-90 range to help some guys here... and this is one of the closest hab type with good heat
maya red hab and some like that fit in the profile...

i need to make a cross with some super hot and annuum to make a super hot early pepper ;)

Last season I crossed the Maya Red with a Carbon Bhut as well as with a Choco Bhut. Growing them out this season.

Kind of why I'm curious about this cross I may have. It's supposed to be a Trinidad Scorpion, but it got crossed with... well, *something*. The pods ripened a little before the White Habs, which are known for being early for a chinense. The TS heat didn't really come through in the F1- typical habanero type heat and flavor I'd say. I'll grow out the F2s at some point to see if the seller was just shitting me or if it really was a TS mother...

AUSTRALIAN LANTERN AND WILD BRAZIL have come in remarkably early for me
i gave the plants alot of extra attention until they started to flower
they came in around 85 to 90 days, and may have even been a little earlier, i would not consider the Australian rainbow super hot there a milder bab species wonderful flavor, one of my personal favorites
thanks your friend Joe

You're looking for the holy grail. Super heat in half the time. You'll make millions.

I live in the same zone and your best bet is to just start the superhots in January and grow grow grow.

I like Spicegeist approach ;) let's make one that will suit,s our need ;)

why not use a super early and cross it with a super hot.. also let's take a super thick peper to have some chunk when we eat it ;)

a Brain Jalapeno or a Fresno morouga would be something nice ;)

or maybe some apache (dwarf and very productive and early plant) crossed with a 7 pot ;)

I like Spicegeist approach ;) let's make one that will suit,s our need ;)

why not use a super early and cross it with a super hot.. also let's take a super thick peper to have some chunk when we eat it ;)

a Brain Jalapeno or a Fresno morouga would be something nice ;)

or maybe some apache (dwarf and very productive and early plant) crossed with a 7 pot ;)
hmmmm Brain Jalapeno... challenge accepted hahahaha :whistle:

hmmmm Brain Jalapeno... challenge accepted hahahaha :whistle:

if that cross work and you have some seeds for me
i will plant them next year for sure!
let's make the "Holy Grail" pepper ! if something work i think that's a great name for that pepper ;)

what do you think?

I think this pepper would be half the heat of a habanero, and half the size of a jalapeno....

The maya red seems to be a cross between a habanero and a cayenne... Might consider doing the same with a superhot...

I'll have both superhots, and exceptionally vigorous cayennes this year....

Even the Maya Red... Maybe I'll make some crosses this summer....Maybe maya red with a super hot... then it will only split the difference between 250k scu, and brain strain, douglah, or Moruga blend ... which will mean a much hotter average...

It will need to be grown out for several years, each year all of us involved killing off all plants except those that we as a group pick, and then sharing seeds across the group...

8 or 9 generations gets 90+% stability... IE only a few percent chance of it not self breeding true.

Guidelines:
We will need to grow out ~1-200 plants from each generation F1-F8.
We will need to start many many more seeds than that.
Primarily we will need to count days from sprouting to picking a ripe fruit selecting for the fastest.
Secondarily we will need to count days between sowing and sprouting, selecting for the fastest.
Tertiarily we will need to test (probably subjectively, and probably by sending everyone in the group a section of Pod to taste) for heat. Grower identifies hottest plant, shares 1 pod with each member, then we decide as a group the hottest... But only after we have selected for the other two. (IE maybe f3 or f4, or later depending).

F2 and F3 I think will require the most seeds grown out.

Whatever plants we use to make the cross should be private, not public knowledge.

In a couple years we can share with the forum :).

f8s should actually be 99.2% stable. f9s 99.6%
Its nice to get early pods but only if earliness doesn't take away from overall production, I mean I often pick early flowers to encourage more growth.
The only ones that are usually late for me are brown chinenses like douglah and black congos

f8s should actually be 99.2% stable. f9s 99.6%
Its nice to get early pods but only if earliness doesn't take away from overall production, I mean I often pick early flowers to encourage more growth.
The only ones that are usually late for me are brown chinenses like douglah and black congos

I thought you told me to leave the C Chinese's alone because they often drop first flowers on their own, which they are doing that for me now. I'm confused lol

These days I usually do leave C. chinenses alone, its mostly the large/heavy podded annuums you need to worry about but if you find your chinenses flowers are turning to pods early on then you may want to start pinching them

These days I usually do leave C. chinenses alone, its mostly the large/heavy podded annuums you need to worry about but if you find your chinenses flowers are turning to pods early on then you may want to start pinching them
Ok gotcha, thanks that makes sense thanks!

so who,s up to make that kind of cross?

a jalapeno (or fresno) with a 7 pot or mourouga type scorpion...

why not use the hottest or the most prolific super hot out there ;) to increase our chance

What would be the best "father plant the annuum or the chinenses or both to see results?
we call that the HOLY GRAIL project ? ;)

I was actually thinking the other day that Jalapeno x Chocolate Bhut might make for an interesting combination... imagine THAT chipotle.

Back