• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc What is the super hottest pepper with a very short production period?

I was thinking Limon might be a fun one to cross with a Scorpion eventually (which I do not have, sadly). Probably wouldn't be early enough for what you guys are going for, but I think we could get some pretty nasty looking stingers out of it...

IMGP3026.jpg

i have tried that yesterday... dont know if the pod will set... an AJI lemon drop with a Butch T
i will let you know if the pod set!

but like you said.. we need a early pepper so this lemon/scorp is just collateral fun ;)

Yeah, I wanted an Aji Limon but the plant turned out to be a Limon. *shrugs* I sent an email to the seller and they didn't know there was a difference. Our lives would be easier if the naming conventions were a bit less ambiguous...

I just noticed one of my Tepins has more flowers per node than the other and is about half the size of its brother. I wonder if I have a cross on my hands...

well im still waiting for most of my seeds to germinate but id love to see what you guys are getting with your crosses (this is my first year growing out other peoples hybrids and my first year doing crosses) :)

well just finished reading everything.. and I'm going along the same lines as everyone else.. except I am really just trying to cross anything and everything that might work and have something cool come out of it.. and I will be making a lot of them crossed with Bulgarian Carrots, which for some reason has such a huge range of SHU ratings on the web.. some say 5,000-8,000 which I think is BS because the ones that I had 2 summers ago were somewhere around 50-100,000 SHU I think.. I will have to test them out again once they ripen, for some reason I have about 20 pods on them for the last month (most of them were pretty grown) and they just are not ripening, and there are another 20-30 pods just starting out, but not really growing.. they just started, the flower petals dropped off, I can see a tiny pepper starting to form, but as far as I can tell most of them haven't budged.. I planted it up to a larger pot to see if that helps, but I think it just needs more light with all those pods on such a small plant (~2' tall or so), so in a month it will be going outside.

but anyways, I had a cross of a Bulgarian Carrot with a Caribbean Red, but that one died and fell off after it set, I think it was when I had watered it too much or something like that, but now I have a Bulgarian Carrot X Pretty Purple Pepper growing out very fast and nicely (the pepper cross, not F1), and I just pollinated a Bulgarian Carrot with a Tepin last week, and the pepper is starting out now. and when I get more plants to flower I will start crossing more of them, but it should be fun.. the Bulgarian Carrots come up and produce so fast that I plan on planting the F1s that I get from the early pods this summer so I will have F2 seeds for next summer...

but like I said, I'll follow this thread and post what I come up with and all that as the season progresses.. I figure I can go around making crosses every time I water them and there are newly/non opened flowers around.. I can just label them and see what happens lol..

(edit): just waiting on the rest of the plants to grow and start flowering.. can't wait!

I just checked i have 6 plants of trini scorp FG and 6 plants of Blarit Mirchi so these two will be used in my hybridization. hmm maybe i could cross the two @^_^@

the basic rule to folow... a early pepper and a super hot...

suggestion goes for an annuum and a chinenses

we want a early super hot with good yeild if possible (like one said.. the holy grail ;) )

a bit off the record but i have polenised a butch t scorp flower with aji lemon drop polen and seems to have set a pod :)
cant wait to see if it will go to maturity and have plenty of seeds to test that cross!

this week end i will try my Fresno cross

Nice, Hammerfall. Frencho... *snort*

I'm trying a Tepin x White Hab for the hell of it. Not going for anything in particular here, but upright white pods with a sprawling habit might make for a cool plant.

One pipe dream of mine is getting a pepper that ripens from black to white. I doubt it's even physically possible, but man, would it be awesome.

^^ (to synclinorium) actually, if you took one of the peppers that start out purple and mature to red/orange like the purple bhut I think, or the "pretty purple pepper" and cross it with a white pepper.. it might work, but yeah, you would have to try for a lonnggg time and even then it might not work, but that would be cool.. if I had any white peppers I would give that a shot.. next year I guess

"Webofhair jalabanero" if memory serves...

I don't think it was ever really stabilized... Just lots of seed passed out in f2 or f3 or so...

Also currently, the applied definition of superhot precludes habaneros (though not habanero types)... When someone on the forum says superhot, they are talking about Bhuts, or scorpions, and 7pots of some color or strain (or the odd bih, or some such).

yea, never was able to get a stable cross :( plus the original plant lived a healthy 5yrds and died last winter.

Last year I tried to cross a Brain Strain and a Yellow Jalapeno, but with crazy weather almost every flower dropped from every plant... The Brain Strain is now 3yrs old and I will attempt another cross but with a regular Jalapeno. I'll be posting pics of the 3yr old Brain Strain soon. I counted 8 buds just starting to sprout out :)

almost forgot about this, but this may be slightly off topic, but not really.. maybe? but anyways, I was curious to see what you guys thought as to why there is a large difference in the time that peppers take to ripen.. I had a lot of flowers before but I was loosing leaves on some of my plants which was because I wasn't giving them enough ferts, so now that I have that all set, they are growing well, but the pods on them have been green for a while, and it just seems like a really long time for them to ripen

so would something like a "bloom" fert help ripen the pods a little quicker.. because I really only want to know because 2 of the Bulgarian Carrot plants that I have, have pods on them that are crosses.. and they have been on them for a while (one of them at least a month I think) but it is just still green.... but one of the plants did give me 2 ripe pods so far.. so maybe it is on it's way, just curious as to what, if any, reasons there are for when a pepper is ripe.. even if it is "big" and grown on the plant for a while.. I really want to get those seeds and plant them and see some cool F1s! lol

no one going to jump on this? (previously posted question) or at least tell me that it can't be done, and just let time take it's course?

just not sure if no one wants to jump on this question because no one is really sure, or because it shouldn't be here. just let me know, thanks!

No idea what goes into how long it takes a pepper to ripen. I imagine temperature has something to do with it. My late-season peppers and overwinters don't really do much until I get them inside under the hot lights, and then sometimes the color change is nearly instantaneous. I could just be imagining it, though.

I think ethylene treatments are one of the only things known to get fruit to ripen faster... really, you should just let nature take its course, as the fruit tastes better if it ripens under its own accord. Nothing good ever happened in a hurry.

ok cool, thank you! for the input, I figured as much, I was just surprised that one of the Bulgarian carrot plants had big green peppers on them for almost more than a month, and it's around 70-80 degrees in the tent and great light in there, and one of them has just started to get a lot of ripe pods, which is great, but unfortunately not one of the plants that I have my crosses on lol, I should make a few more crosses next time I water.

was just curious to see if ferts made a difference in how long it takes since they hadn't been getting enough ferts and since I have been giving them liquid ferts when I water them (at 1/2 strength about), they are doing great, so hopefully them just being healthier will help ripen them up.. but if not, then outside is only a month away now!

Back