• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite What is your favorite Baccatum Chili and why?

windchicken said:

Hi PT! The plant with the lights is actually Shane Carver's. I can't remember his THP screen name, but it starts with "STC"….

Send me your mailing address on the PM and I'll get some Birgit's seeds out to you ASAP...

Wow, thanks buddy!

windchicken said:

Hi PT! The plant with the lights is actually Shane Carver's. I can't remember his THP screen name, but it starts with "STC"….

Send me your mailing address on the PM and I'll get some Birgit's seeds out to you ASAP...
BTW I have sent a PM in case you have not seen it. I have been having problems with the messenger for some reason. 

In the meantime i've bought an aji amarillo and a bishop crown!
So next year i'll probably grow something else.

A question: there are many differencies between aji lemon and aji cito?
I've read that both are hot, productive and citrusy taste.

I'm growning aji cito this year. From what I hear it's around 100k shu which is like 2-4x hotter than aji lemon. As for the flavor I can't tell you that.

Now there is another baccatum also sometimes called aji cito that thechilewoman sells and it is not hot at all but it is a different variety and looks complete different, kind of mushroom shaped.

hot stuff said:
I'm growning aji cito this year. From what I hear it's around 100k shu which is like 2-4x hotter than aji lemon. As for the flavor I can't tell you that.

Now there is another baccatum also sometimes called aji cito that thechilewoman sells and it is not hot at all but it is a different variety and looks complete different, kind of mushroom shaped.
Thanks, i thought they were similar in heat too... Btw that time i'm interested in the taste.:p

Aji Amarillo, or Aji Pineapple....or practically speaking, what ever one I get my hands on at the time.

Hope your plants are lovin all the rain, and gravity/gravel is doing its thing for you(Assuming you are still on the hill),Have a great Independence Day.

As of this moment, I'd have to vote for the Inca Red Drop.  Sweet, flavorful, with just a hint of heat.
Closely followed by the lone CAP 267 I tried a few days ago.  Cripsy, tasty, and quite warm!  (Thanks Coheed!)
A green (broken off, so I'd better eat it!) Aji Amarillo was 'interesting,' with strong baccatum flavor.  Hopefully they will get a bit sweeter as they ripen.
Most of the Aji Limon pods I grew last year suffered too much of the 'soapy' yuk.  Some of the early season fruit was pretty good.

With another half dozen c.bac varieties ripening, this list may change soon!
I have high hopes for Bishop's Hat and Braz Starfish.  A.Peruvian and Pineapple sound good too.

I am new to the baccatum world & have not tasted any yet but have Aji Brazilian Starfish , Aji Melocoton & Queen Laurie .
I don't think Queen Laurie is going to do anything this year as my other two have lots of pods
I plan on growing Aji Panca & Aji Cereza( PL) next year with a Aji Brazilian Starfish pretty sure I will like that one & Aji Melocoton

Plantguy76 said:
I am new to the baccatum world & have not tasted any yet but have Aji Brazilian Starfish , Aji Melocoton & Queen Laurie .
I don't think Queen Laurie is going to do anything this year as my other two have lots of pods
I plan on growing Aji Panca & Aji Cereza( PL) next year with a Aji Brazilian Starfish pretty sure I will like that one & Aji Melocoton
Interesting. This is the second time today someone has mentioned aji melocoton and I've never heard of it before.

hot stuff said:
Interesting. This is the second time today someone has mentioned aji melocoton and I've never heard of it before.
Its one of Judy's new ones in her 2015 .
I have one with an off pheno & one with a pheno close to the ones in her pic but pretty gnarly

Geonerd said:
Most of the Aji Limon pods I grew last year suffered too much of the 'soapy' yuk.  Some of the early season fruit was pretty good.

I would say at least half of the baccatums I have tried tasted "soapy" to me.  With how much people love baccatums there must be certain growing conditions where this doesn't come through.

Aji Amarillo is my favorite baccatum so far. Very crunchy, bursting with flavor, and respectable heat.

I also like the Brazilian Starfish, Bishops Hat, and Aji Colorado. Am growing Rainforest this year so hopefully I'll get to try that one soon.

For today...

Aji Angelo

The 3~4 inch pods are a cheery red. 

Angelo.jpg

Crunchy!
Juicy.
Sweet, with a fruity (hint of apple?) flavor. Not a trace of the dreaded Soapy Baccatum taste.
As you work your way up, some of the pods deliver a touch of heat. It's enough to add to the overall flavor, but not remotely enough to put you off eating another as soon as you can.  Many pods are completely lacking heat.  This is about the only drawback I can see.

Wildly prolific!  My modest plant, about 3' across and growing in a 4 gal container, has at least 100 pods close to ripening, and continues to set more flowers by the day.

I could eat these things by the bucket.

Many thanks to Smokemaster for the seeds!  :)

Geonerd said:
For today...

Aji Angelo

The 3~4 inch pods are a cheery red. 

Angelo.jpg

Crunchy!
Juicy.
Sweet, with a fruity (hint of apple?) flavor. Not a trace of the dreaded Soapy Baccatum taste.
As you work your way up, some of the pods deliver a touch of heat. It's enough to add to the overall flavor, but not remotely enough to put you off eating another as soon as you can.  Many pods are completely lacking heat.  This is about the only drawback I can see.

Wildly prolific!  My modest plant, about 3' across and growing in a 4 gal container, has at least 100 pods close to ripening, and continues to set more flowers by the day.

I could eat these things by the bucket.

Many thanks to Smokemaster for the seeds!  :)

I got a lemon drop (probably mislabelled aji limon) X Inca berry cross in the works. only on f1 atm though. 

Back