• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

salads What is your Tuna Salad recipe?

The Hot Pepper said:
Wow! So only two people added jalapenos on THE HOT PEPPER???!!! LOL. This is like a Southern Living thread. Booooo.
I always add jalapenos. When I don't have fresh I always keep a pickled jar in my frig.
salsalady said:
Okay- I can "see" where eggs would be a way to stretch out the tuna if there was one can of tuna and 2 eggs in the fridge....

Totally get that.  But for a true tuna sammich??? Can't get the eggs on board...~~~ :stop:  

My Mom always served sweet and dill pickles at holiday meals.  Looking back on it now, I'm not sure why... because everyone in my family hates Dill things and Hates Pickles (in general).  Mom liked dill pickles and spicy foods. 

Trying to get the whole SWEET PICKLE version in my mind ~  but thinking I'd still like the DILL PICKLE version. 

SIDE NOTE-  SalsaKid has loved tuna sammies for fer-ever and it's something he will make on his own.  Even to dicing the onions and dill pickles.  :)  O'Course, if you ask him if he likes pickles or onions, he'll say "NO".  :rolleyes:
You have to give it a try next time. Start out just mixing one hard boiled egg into the mix with the can of tuna. Even the texture is better and I'll bet you will like it too :)

Just to complete the bacon discussion ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418273726.866826.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418273742.750310.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418273751.099561.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418273761.850027.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418273769.467039.jpg

made some of this ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418273794.618586.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418273803.174754.jpg

and left behind this ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418273820.225611.jpg

to make eggs in a slow-cooker, you just never know around here ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418273860.322407.jpg

that bacon is the chewy, smokey, awesome ...

back to tuna, sorry for the bacon break ...

Yeah, the fact that it's not really more than a couple of dollars beyond decent store bacon, and can live in the fridge relatively indefinitely ... means I 'll probably continue the habit ...

Nice company story, too!

Tuna
Dill Pickles - Chopped
Sweet Pickles - Chopped
Squirt of Mustard
As little mayo as possible (Last time, did heaping teaspoon to six cans of tuna)
Naga or similar -sliced (as fine as possible)
Shake of Celery seed or celery salt
Grind of BP and Salt (adjust based on if salt used earlier)

Enjoy with bread or crackers with some popcorn on the side.
In order of magnitude

Drain can of tuna. Add 1 tbl. mayo, a shot of Creole mustard, garlic powder, salt, 1/4 onion diced, 2 celery sticks diced, sometimes a squirt of sriracha/pickapepper sauce or a sprinkle of Tony Chacheries or my own chili pepper blend.

Serve up on warm toast.

texas blues said:
Tuna
Mae Ploy Thai Sweet Chile sauce
Sambal Olek
Rolled up in Napa cabbage leaves.

I just tried this Sambal Olek for the first time two nights ago ... and now it has a permanent spot here.

When are you doing to fire up that UDS? ;)

grantmichaels said:

When are you doing to fire up that UDS? ;)

I know I'm going to catch hell for this but....

I haven't used it in ages.

Yesterday morning a compadre came and picked up an old refrigerator, a gas grill, and the UDS.

They were taking up valuable real estate in my garage.

Back