food What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

Hmmm. That's a lot of pennies to save. I would prefer the WSM, but damn, that'll take till next year to finish saving.

I do have a birfday this week, and so happen to have a family member who has run into some money. Some major ass kissin, and I may get the extra boost IF I'm lucky :surprised:

I'da' posteded this in the hippy food thread but fish is banned over there.

Yesterday I went to the grocery store for I don't even know what for and came home with a pack of whole wheat pita chingaderra's and some tomato's. I had no idea what to do with the pita so I just did the "pin the tail on the donkey" 'thang in my pantry.

First 'thang I grabbed was a can of pink salmon from my 'mergency stash. I gotta' rotate that stock anyway. Threw it in a bowl with garlic, rolled oats, sea salt, BP, pickled chiletepins, and onion escabeche leftover from a big can of pickled jalapeno's I had just finished off. I tightened that all up with some plastic eggs (hippy fat free no yolks). I let that sit and then fired up Black Betty.

IMG_4070.JPG

I just love this stuff!

IMG_4073.JPG

I broke up one of the cakes and stuffed it into half a pita along with some tomato slices and Baja Sauce (fat free sour cream w/ lime zest & lime juice).

Its a salmon gyro!

IMG_4077.JPG

On its way into my pieholio.

IMG_4081.JPG

I got leftovers too!

Delicious.

Looks damn good! But hey, where's the lettuce? Did you happen to buy the pickled chiletepins local? I need to get me some of thems.

Looks damn good! But hey, where's the lettuce? Did you happen to buy the pickled chiletepins local? I need to get me some of thems.

I don't do lettuce unless its a salad.

The salmon gyro was fantastic!

I think I once posted erroneously that I got the pickled chiletepins at Central Market.

That was a big fat not on purpose lie.

I got 'em at Fiesta Mart down in Dallas.

They should have one of those stores closer to you in Fort Worth.

I get all my Tex-Mex sheeit there!

ahh.

one of your sweat tent peyote vision quests.

nice.

seriously, I could eat the hell out of that Salmon Hot-Pocket.

Sorry, but I'm just not feelin' it. My mom used to use canned salmon, and eww. Plus she always overcooked fish in general, and to me salmon and tuna are just-sear fish. Best as sashimi, even. At the same time, I know not everyone is as picky about fish as I am, so I'm trying to overcome my prejudice.....

Hey TB - those are some FINE-looking salmon patties there! WAY TO GO!

(Did it work? Are you feelin' the love?)

Funny - I've been contemplating those Tuna Balls all day...can't quite wrap my mind around it, but my curiosity is so gonna make me try to make some! I mean, it sounds kinda right in a certain way!

Then I get home and find TB's Salmon Cakes! How'd you get them so moist looking with oats and faux eggs TB?! Magic.
But I was really hoping those little guys were capers, because I don't have any chiletepins. I don't really know what one is! Is it super hot, or just tingly?

I, too, have a stash of salmony goodness...and tuna-y goodness....soon I shall have a stash of.....BALLS?!?!?! :rofl:

CJ, for non chile heads chiltepins are pretty hot. For those of us that partake, they're pretty dang mild.
The pickled kine' are like a less fruity and drier pickled jalapeno. The heat bites you right out front and then fades very quickly.

The oats are the key to moist cakes. They soak up excess liquid and hold it. I mix everythang together and then let it rest for 15 or 20 minutes.

mrs. blues doesn't roll with salmon. She likes to be liking tuna cakes done the same way but instead of oats she uses crushed up saltines. The woman is very resourceful when it comes to ideas about making something completely healthy into something of an abomination. The amount of salt she uses in her food is enough to kill a flamingo.

LOL - Nah, no sneaking required! I just have a weird repulsion to BP. It just comes across way too much like a week-old dirty diaper pail to me - who would really want to put THAT in their mouths??? But I get that most of the rest of the world likes BP, though I also think many people don't actually spend any time thinking about if it really needs to be used or not - how many people just automatically use it because mom and dad did, or because it's on the table? IMO there are much better spices to be used, and as I said, why ever feel a need to use BP when we have chiles to use???

Back