food What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

While I was boozin' plenty yesterday during a day off, I'll be damned if I didn't take any pics of it. So I shall post this here. Smoked Pork Butt. I brined this baby for two days in water, sugar, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, clove, allspice, cumin, and oregano. I then patted it dry and applied a generous dose of McCormick's Smokehouse Maple Rub. I smoked the Butt over charcoal and mesquite for six hours, then wrapped it up in foil and put it in the oven for another four hours. This stuff was so good that it didn't need any sauce, but I did end up putting a vinegar based habanero sauce on my sandwiches anyway after I finally stopped mouth-fisting the meat by itself.

1000849r.jpg

1000850r.jpg

1000851w.jpg

1000854j.jpg

1000855gw.jpg

1000856s.jpg

1000857wrhr.jpg

That be some good lookin' poke sammich's.

I like to be liking slaw on my poke sammich.

Why'd you finish the poke in the oven fo'?

And that chimney starter in the grass.

You tryin' to burn down the farm?

WTF?

That be some good lookin' poke sammich's.

I like to be liking slaw on my poke sammich.

Why'd you finish the poke in the oven fo'?

And that chimney starter in the grass.

You tryin' to burn down the farm?

WTF?

Not burning anything. I finished it in the oven because I was out of charcoal and I wanted to eat sometime before midnight! I like slaw too. Nice signature Paulky.

Another question. Hows that Brinkman Smoke n Grill work out for you? You mod it at all?

Its cheap as hell and right in my price range. Gonna pick one up soon and do some mods on it me thinks.

It works just fine if you don't mind giving it a lot of attention. I mean it is not a Big Green Egg or an UDS where you load it up and forget it. It is also not good for steady temps. I like it well enough, but like I said, it takes about sixteen hours to do a medium sized pork butt in it. I don't have that kind of time on a week day.

Is that unmoded though?

I actually like making a whole thing outta outdoor cookin so I'm ok with the babysittin it'll take. Not too keen on that there 16 hour cook time though.

Maybe some mods will shorten that maybe, hopefully

Yeah, if you put a bottom on it that would definitely help. Maybe a vent at the top to regulate temp better too.

Another question. Hows that Brinkman Smoke n Grill work out for you? You mod it at all?

Go weber kettle.
It's a classic.
You can smoke, grill, make pizza, hot dogs, pulled pork, smoked brisket, ribs, beer can chicken, and filet mignon.
All on one perfectly engineered device (And a mild learning curve)

Just my opinion.
If I had to have ONE cooking device, the weber 22 inch kettle would be it.

And holy crap j. Look at the smoke pink on that meat!
Nice job!

Well I been saving my pennies (literally) and I have some spare money I was gonna spend on this guy

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100064171&R=100064171&superSkuId=203390782

And then I was gonna get the smoke n grill as well.

Do it. That's what I have. But I have it in blue.
You wont need the smoke n grill.
(no disrespect to the SnG. I'm sure it's a fine machine)

DDAAAEEEUUUMMM Jay! that is some fine looking Porkage right there.

nice Juicinessess, smoke ring, and glistening beauty.

and I see you wiped the vaseline off your camera lense... Great pictures!!!!

Excellent use of your day off JayWow!!!!!

I'm impressed you got that pork all the way to those buns!!!!
I'd have prolly stood there and mauled it Cavegerl-style!!!!!! :lol:

no pics but we had nachos yesterday simple chicken cheese and tomato with sour cream and i put heartbreaking dawns 1542, and the wife went with lucky dog red. i could post on this everyday since i eat spicy with almost every meal.

Jerret, I'm sure you remember when you signed up, section 22, page 7, paragraph 3, line 9...

"No pics, didn't happen".

I like Nachos.

Looks effing Awesome J - Haven't done a butt all summer feel like I have been cheated in some way

Well I been saving my pennies (literally) and I have some spare money I was gonna spend on this guy

http://www.homedepot...SkuId=203390782

And then I was gonna get the smoke n grill as well.
I would save more pennies and buy a WSM for like 10,000 more pennies - Brinkman smoker with a side firebox are also good. At least you can grill or smoke easily on it.

A pork Butt is 1.5 - 2 hrs per lb modded or not. An 8lb butt 12-16 hrs - then remember to give it time to cool - unless you have hands of steel

Back