• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

And how did it turn out?

I was in the mood for wings, but wasn't going to do anything fancy, just wanted something quick using what was in the house. Baked the wings in the oven with a dry rub of cayenne, Death Rain, pepper, and bih jolokia powder (from Muso2112). Took them out and coated with Cap'n's savina sauce. Pretty good for a quick meal.

This is on the smoker right now. I call it Koreabbian smoked picnic roast. Its covered in a healthy amount of Korean gochu and marinated in sweet saki (mirin), soy sauce, ginger and pineapple juice concentrate. The rub itself is mostly jerk type but most of the heat is from the gochu. Rub base was honey and mustard.

Still has a several hours to go though.
PicnicRoast_zpsbpm0tked.jpg

Marinating a 1/4 of a pork loin today. Cooking it up tomorrow. Not sure how yet. I may do it in an oven bag since i haven't tried that yet and loin is so lean it can dry out.

Marinade:
Sake and some Mirin.
Soy sauce
Kimchi juice
Toasted sesame oil
Korean pepper flakes
Bosch pear since i could not get a Asian pear atm
Onion
Garlic
Black pepper

This is very similar to Korean Bulgogi marinade but with some heat. Beef is normally done very mild and pork (dwaeji bulgogi) is done semi spicy. Just before cooking it will get rubbed down with Korean pepper paste slightly thinned with mirin. I prefer to use a fattier cut but loin turns out ok for some dishes. I love it mixed in with black bean noodles aka Jjajangmyeon which is normally not spicy at all. Its also delicious in kimchi fried rice or kimchi pancakes.

Ok, its a cookin.

Dwaeji Bulgogi Roast with a few serranos and a very large cowhorn. I used my hottest gochujang (Haechandle Very Hot), Its pretty hot but much less sweet than some of the other pepper pastes. Laid the roast down on a bed of onions and loosely wrapped in foil. Ran out of onion so had to use dried for the top.

This is gunna make some killer Korean tacos!!!......Oh yeah i went there. :D
DwaejiBulgogiRoast_zpsir9wof5x.jpg

맛있어요.
Matissuhyo.

Pulled it out to give it a quick check. Good thing too because it was almost falling apart tender.
P1020358_zpseqajic7o.jpg

I dont think there are going to be enough leftovers for tacos :D

Homemade Taiwanese cabbage and radish Kiimchi. Some nice Korean short grain rice with furikake seasoning......and about a 1/3 of that roast. :D
P1020360_zpsrfttgs12.jpg

더 먹고 싶은데 배불러요.
Duh meokgo shipeundae baeboolluhyo.!!!!

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Marinating a 1/4 of a pork loin today. Cooking it up tomorrow. Not sure how yet. I may do it in an oven bag since i haven't tried that yet and loin is so lean it can dry out.

Marinade:
Sake and some Mirin.
Soy sauce
Kimchi juice
Toasted sesame oil
Korean pepper flakes
Bosch pear since i could not get a Asian pear atm
Onion
Garlic
Black pepper

This is very similar to Korean Bulgogi marinade but with some heat. Beef is normally done very mild and pork (dwaeji bulgogi) is done semi spicy. Just before cooking it will get rubbed down with Korean pepper paste slightly thinned with mirin. I prefer to use a fattier cut but loin turns out ok for some dishes. I love it mixed in with black bean noodles aka Jjajangmyeon which is normally not spicy at all. Its also delicious in kimchi fried rice or kimchi pancakes.

Ok, its a cookin.

Dwaeji Bulgogi Roast with a few serranos and a very large cowhorn. I used my hottest gochujang (Haechandle Very Hot), Its pretty hot but much less sweet than some of the other pepper pastes. Laid the roast down on a bed of onions and loosely wrapped in foil. Ran out of onion so had to use dried for the top.

This is gunna make some killer Korean tacos!!!......Oh yeah i went there. :D
DwaejiBulgogiRoast_zpsir9wof5x.jpg

Damn this looks good. Im thinking this might be pretty good done in a sous vide too, going to have to try it 

Today was simple. More popcorn chicken but i used a different sauce

3 tbs Rothchild Farms Roasted Pineapple Habanero
Almost a tbs of reduced sodium soy sauce.
1 tbs of my home made lemon drop pepper hot sauce.
Warm it up for 30sec in the microwave

If you like a spicy teriyaki, this nails it without any real cooking.

Thai red curry with roast turkey, onion, carrot, celery, red bell and water chestnut.....Yeah i know, water chestnut is not commonly used in Thai curries but neither is turkey. :P It turned more like a cross between jungle curry and Chinese curry actually but i used red curry. No added coconut milk in this one but i did use some organic virgin coconut oil.

Served on top of steamed jasmine rice.
P1020382_zpsqlronkvo.jpg

Sorry the 4 egg omelette is not pictured but here are the players. A yellow rocotto pepper I just picked off my plant, some sweet onion a walla walla and an heirloom tomato grown locally. Some yellow/white Mexican cheese and some feta as well. That rocotto was yummy and gave it the perfect heat and flavor.

Attachments

• IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 60
I cooked a "cheaters" pork butt the other day in the oven.....i know i know but it turned out excellent.

Well i had just a little leftover today and i had a craving for pulled pork BBQ. I also wanted my childhood favorite BBQ sauce which really isnt that great. Mauls Sweet N Smokey. So i mixed it 3 to 1 with some Rothchild Farms Roasted Pineapple Habanero sauce and some gochu.

Topped it with homemade pickled burr gherkins and pickled cowhorns.
P1020386_zpsppn8v96c.jpg

BTW i love Keema curry too Its awesome with minced venison or goat. I keep mine pretty simple. Just shallots, garlic, frozen peas and small potato cubes..Naan, lavash or any similar flat bread on the side.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
BTW i love Keema curry too Its awesome with minced venison or goat. I keep mine pretty simple. Just shallots, garlic, frozen peas and small potato cubes..Naan, lavash or any similar flat bread on the side.

Look good!

Keema matar is an awesome meal! You have good taste.

Venison, goat and even lamb work so well with Keema. Its one of the few ways i enjoy lamb. Ground beef works but it just tastes like something is just a little off. Not bad but not as good as venison. I may have to try making it again with some lean chuck steaks minced instead of ground.

Back