• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Why hillbillies eat good!!!

Yes, I went squirrel hunting on Friday. It was difficult because I was swatting alot of mosquito's due to the heat and I forgot to bring my deet. I got 3 squirrels that morning after a few hours. I could have got more, but it was hard to not alert them while swatting bugs. However I did find a hen of the woods wild mushroom next to a large oak tree while I was out there. It was in the 10-12 lbs range. I cooked it up tonight for my fiances familiy and I. They don't normally like mushrooms, but I cooked a large handful with the steaks there family had. Those went FAST!!!! I still have enough mushrooms for the year cooking, AND they loved it!!! That little bit went quick. Here's a pic of what it looks like. I have another pic of all of the good mushroom to cook off of that ONE too. Here's one. I'll get a pick of i all picked apart. (Without the inner core....That's tough.) It's DELICIOUS!!! I thought it was a bonus find on my day in the woods.:lol:

09-23-07_1221.jpg

Here's all of the shroom meat that was good. (Don't eat the core.) From the one mushroom. Yes, there's an MGD in the corner too!!:lol:
09-23-07_1631.jpg

Mmmmm....mushrooms.

Don't bother hunting squirls. They live based on vapor pressure so when you kill one another one moves into that vacant space...unless your eating them...then that's a different story :lol:

imaguitargod said:
Mmmmm....mushrooms.

Don't bother hunting squirls. They live based on vapor pressure so when you kill one another one moves into that vacant space...unless your eating them...then that's a different story ;)

I've eaten them for years!!:D:twisted: Tastes like dark meat chicken with a nutty flavor. VERY TASTY!!! I like the hot peppers IGG....ALOT!!!!!!! Your missing out on the hillbilly food though:lol:. I must say I like Cali because I've lived there. I just hate LA...LOL!!!

congrats on the harvest of squirrels & shrooms (if they're safe to eat ?)
checkout "thermacell" its a wonderful tool for keeping bugs at bay while hunting before freezing temps kills all the bugs. its worth its weight in gold!
no luck on my part for a deer yet.

chilehunter said:
congrats on the harvest of squirrels & shrooms (if they're safe to eat ?)
checkout "thermacell" its a wonderful tool for keeping bugs at bay while hunting before freezing temps kills all the bugs. its worth its weight in gold!
no luck on my part for a deer yet.

Thanks Chilehunter. They are safe to eat. It's my first Hen of the woods mushroom. (They grow by oak trees where I found it and I double checked it with a photo on Michigan Sportsman.) I also did research on the internet before I ate it. I won't eat a shroom unless it's 100% sure. I eat morels in the spring too.) We all ate it with still not a single sign of side effects and it taste's VERY GOOD!!!
What's this thermacell?? I may check into this. Those skeeters were driving me CRAZY!!!!

Thermacell is a mosquito repellent (& other flying bugs - dont work for ticks though)
thermacell is quiet & scentless (unless you add scent to it or buy those scent pads) if you're moving around alot (stalking) it might not be the best choice because its designed for 1 spot to create a little area around you that repells bugs. its about the size of 3" x 6"
it works wonders for keeping bugs at bay, but like I said its not the best choice if you're on the move often. but if you're stand hunting its the thing to have, you'll see the bugs flying around you but they wont come closer because of that repellent the thermacell gives off - last year I ran out of gas/pad once & as soon as it stopped those damn fly were all over me :D

they sell them almost anywhere -walmart & most hunting stores, cost about $20-$25 even cheaper depending where you buy them & you can get refill packets - 1 pad is good for 4hrs & the bottle (gas) is good for 12 hrs

chilehunter said:
Thermacell is a mosquito repellent (& other flying bugs - dont work for ticks though)
thermacell is quiet & scentless (unless you add scent to it or buy those scent pads) if you're moving around alot (stalking) it might not be the best choice because its designed for 1 spot to create a little area around you that repells bugs. its about the size of 3" x 6"
it works wonders for keeping bugs at bay, but like I said its not the best choice if you're on the move often.

they sell them almost anywhere -walmart & most hunting stores, cost about $20-$25 even cheaper depending where you buy them & you can get refill packets - 1 pad is good for 4hrs & the bottle (gas) is good for 12 hrs
Thanks chilihunter. I was supposed to go bowhunting for deer this weekend with my friend in Kentucky, but his Uncle is suspected of having cancer. They were very close like father and son. I gave him his space and respected that relationship. My fiance and I are however heading down there next weekend to hunt deer on his property. This might be a really nice thing to know when I head down there. It's a little warmer and I'm sure the skeeters will be a problem. I will keep this in mind. By the way. When does deer season open where you live? If I remember correctly you deer hunt too. You should keep in touch. There are a lot of stories and memories in the woods. Especially while deer hunting. :D

imaguitargod said:
Mmmmm....mushrooms.

Don't bother hunting squirls. They live based on vapor pressure so when you kill one another one moves into that vacant space...unless your eating them...then that's a different story :lol:

Just so ya know IGG I was in the military and was in Iraq. While I'm a wee bit aggressive, political, and am willing to get in some nasty scuffles. I kind of like people like you. You are good natured and I get along with you. You should send a PM some time and BS. NOPE no scarcasm either. You seem kind of cool. Our personalities seem similar and we would get along. Consider this a friendly conversation and say HI!!!:D:cool:;)

ahhh, isn't that great, the killing of small animals bringing people together! :lol:

when you mentioned 'hen of the woods' I was thinking it was some kind of fowl hahaha

chilliman64 - the killing of animals brings everyone of the human race together - be it food,sport,medical use, or just the plain fact of you being a human & being alive making cities/homes. welcome to the human race, we kill animals for our own needs! ;)

rabbit - MN deer archery season opened on sept 15 :P I had a adult doe walk by me at 15 yards but it never gave me a double lung shot so I let it walk on through, better luck next time I guess. as for bear the bear that was in the area before is long gone I havent seen any sight of the bear, again better luck next year I guess :lol: but some gray foxes will be hanging on my wall shortly :clap: (or a full body mount ? - if I'm lucky enough to harvest them)
hunting deer with archery is a blast,I like'em because they're a animal that has great senses & a brain (to a point) I also hunt turkey (which are really stupid creatures)

I only brought up the "if they're safe to eat" part because I know certain mushrooms are poisonous, its good to hear you did your homework on which ones are safe to eat.

chilehunter said:
chilliman64 - the killing of animals brings everyone of the human race together - be it food,sport,medical use,...

I agree, if we weren't meant to eat them then why are they made out of meat?

chilliman64 said:
ahhh, isn't that great, the killing of small animals bringing people together! :lol:

when you mentioned 'hen of the woods' I was thinking it was some kind of fowl hahaha

Yes, it doe's...LOL!!! We all eat food and have the same basic needs as human beings. :P

chilehunter said:
chilliman64 - the killing of animals brings everyone of the human race together - be it food,sport,medical use, or just the plain fact of you being a human & being alive making cities/homes. welcome to the human race, we kill animals for our own needs! ;)

rabbit - MN deer archery season opened on sept 15 I had a adult doe walk by me at 15 yards but it never gave me a double lung shot so I let it walk on through, better luck next time I guess. as for bear the bear that was in the area before is long gone I havent seen any sight of the bear, again better luck next year I guess :P but some gray foxes will be hanging on my wall shortly :lol: (or a full body mount ? - if I'm lucky enough to harvest them)
hunting deer with archery is a blast,I like'em because they're a animal that has great senses & a brain (to a point) I also hunt turkey (which are really stupid creatures)

I only brought up the "if they're safe to eat" part because I know certain mushrooms are poisonous, its good to hear you did your homework on which ones are safe to eat.
Yeah, mushrooms are a thing that you have to know 100% without a doubt that you are eating the right thing. I just stick with the ones I know. I know what chanterelles, morels, honey mushrooms(Stumpers), chicken of the woods, and a hen of the woods look like. Almost all of these have something that looks similar and it's possible to eat something poisonous that's similar looking. Like ex.- There are false morels that aren't hollow in the middle and have a cotton like substance in it. (WILL MAKE YOU SICK!!!!!), Chanterelles are tasty, but there are jack-o-lanterns that looks similar. They won't kill ya, but they will make you sick for a few days. There others too. The hen of the woods is honestly pretty idiot proof though. I looks like a giant ruffled up hen with a brown to grey top. Under the petals it's white with spongy pores in it. Did I mention that I found a couple magic red and white toadstools out there last Friday too!!.LOL!!. I didn't feel like getting high, or sick on them. It was cool to find them though. Just interesting. (People can use them for hallucinagenic effect, but unlike the little brown ones that grow on cow poop, to much of these ones will have some serious health consequences.) I'll just stick to my beer!;)
So your deer hunting already huh....LUCKY!!! I was supposed to go last weekend, but my friends uncle was very sick. I didn't get to go to Kentucky. I however am really looking forward to getting some bowhunting in Monday morning before I have to be at work by 1:00pm. I jumped a deer when I was squirrel hunting on Friday. I also, found an early scrape (Probably starting to break apart in there bachelor groups.)(The bucks)and a rub line. There's alot of other deer sign in this location. I plan on seeing what happens there Monday morning. I'll probably hunt it all day Friday and try another spot Saturday. (I don't like to over hunt a spot...Gets slow, and the deer sightings are less frequent.) I need to get some more venison. It's my favorite meat. Also, you are correct. THEY ARE FUN TO BOWHUNT!!! Extremely, challenging. I would like to make a long-bow in the future out of an orange osage tree and make the string out of the sinew off of a deer that I kill. Should be a fun project. Hey, good luck on your hunting dude!! PM me if you get some more meat!!

xgrafcorex said:
we're all made of meat too. :P

congrats on the find, and good luck in the woods. as for mushrooms. :lol:

That's why lions and tiger and bears....Like us....OH MY!!!!;) I take it you don't like mushrooms.;) I know you would if they had a habanero flavored mushroom!..LOL!! Thanks, though man.

XG - just watchout if chiliman64 starts calling you "Long Pig" :P ;)

rabbit - I try not to hunt the same spot often either. also good luck to you when your season opens. theres deer here too BUT its not as many as the DNR thinks there is ( MN DNR have their head so far up their *** when it comes to population counts for certain game animals)
yesterday evening hunt I had a Barred Owl fly right by me (within arms reach) & perched on a tree like 10' infront of me, it looked around then saw me & stared at me for about 5-10 sec then flew away :lol: I know they're quiet birds of prey but I still find it amazing for thier size they dont make ANY noise (& I mean no noise at all) for flight, unlike hawks you can still hear them fly by.

I know you'd know, but for others I guess some might say how could I not have a double lung shot at 15 yards ? (from other post) simple when it comes to bow hunting - for that time the doe & fawn came up on me on my opposite side & the path they choose to walk had trees/branches in the way for a clear shot for a double lung. but if it did give me a chance then yea that adult doe would be in the freezer & the backstraps/tenderlions would of been eaten already ;)

chilehunter said:
XG - just watchout if chiliman64 starts calling you "Long Pig" :scared:

rabbit - I try not to hunt the same spot often either. also good luck to you when your season opens. theres deer here too BUT its not as many as the DNR thinks there is ( MN DNR have their head so far up their *** when it comes to population counts for certain game animals)
yesterday evening hunt I had a Barred Owl fly right by me (within arms reach) & perched on a tree like 10' infront of me, it looked around then saw me & stared at me for about 5-10 sec then flew away :cool: I know they're quiet birds of prey but I still find it amazing for thier size they dont make ANY noise (& I mean no noise at all) for flight, unlike hawks you can still hear them fly by.

I know you'd know, but for others I guess some might say how could I not have a double lung shot at 15 yards ? (from other post) simple when it comes to bow hunting - for that time the doe & fawn came up on me on my opposite side & the path they choose to walk had trees/branches in the way for a clear shot for a double lung. but if it did give me a chance then yea that adult doe would be in the freezer & the backstraps/tenderlions would of been eaten already :lol:

Yeah, I know what ya mean about the DNR. Your's might be doing better though. Turns out that our state gov't is going to be shut down due to lack of funds!!:lol: No, I'm not joking either. It's completely pathetic!! They are also going to be laying off all of the conservation officers, including other things. Secretary of state will be closed too! I don't like the way our DNR counts the deer herd either. This is the honest to God truth. They actually use some mathematical system for counting the deer coming down I-75 during deer season. Yeah, we have an awful lot of deer in the state, but I feel a mandatory call in system after you tag a deer would be kind of common sense. It would be a far more accurate method of keeping track of things.Enough of that stuff though..LOL!!
I can relate with you about wildlife experiences with animals in the woods. As much as I enjoy being back with my primitive self, and eating my catch. I really enjoy seeing nature at it's best. I've seen owls like you have. I remember actually watching an owl chasing a squirrel in the tree tops. He almost got it too. I've had chicadees land on me, squirrels run across my lap, and I actually almost got run-over by 3 deer running down a hill on a deer run once squirrel hunting. I literally could have reached out and touched the big doe. When they realized they saw me they just froze and looked as stunned as me. If it was deer season and not squirrel season I would have had a good dinner...LOL!! I've also seen a bobcat, a few packs of coyotes, turkeys, bears, eagles, hawks, ect. It's cool hunting. It's amazing how time stands still and everything else becomes irrelevant. It's almost spiritual and you become a part of nature. We always are a part of it, but we often forget with modern conveniences.
I know what you mean about the 15 yard broadside double lung shot. I always wait for the perfect shot. Wounding an animal isn't worth it to me. I will however take a slightly quartering away shot with a bow though. (I use standard broadheads...wouldn't do that with mechanicals due to the increased possibility of deflection.)The fact that you held off on the shot because it wasn't ideal is good. It means you show reverance for the animal. However, we would both eat it when the timing is perfect though...LOL!!!

Back