• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wild, Indeed, Community Thread

Just getting this started so I can get a url.
I will post more about this in a couple of days.
duck6.jpg

Happy New Year, 2021!

Last edited:
I appreciate your input, John. I have dabbled with
wild varieties over the past 9 seasons, but this is
only the second season I've really delved into them.
I hope you will be a regular in the Wild, Indeed thread!

Really looking forward to growing this one. The
pubescence on the leaves is something else!

ahayastani said:
Is the lanceolatum the same as the one offered by SLP?

In theory it should be growing in my backyard, but I haven't spotted it yet  :rolleyes:
No observations in Southern Mexico either, though the climate is similar to Guatemala.

It's a bit chaotic, but if you have a few minutes to spare, it might be worthwhile: https://www.naturalista.mx/projects/chiles-de-mexico
I replied to this earlier but it did not send...damn!!

O.K... you are more likely to find C.rhomboideum in your area. Lanceolatum is extremely rare in the wild but worth looking for anyway. Still,your best bet to procure these would be through a vendor or member of these gardening groups. They are pretty common now compared to 10 years ago.

If you decide to look for plants,try to find places disrupted by man. Shady sides of dirt roads are good spots. These are shade plants in their natural environment,and at altitude also. 600-1000m for these guys probably. Less than some others but still up where it is cool and humid.

I have to admit,I am extremely jealous of your climate,it would make it much easier to grow the plants I am keen on. Good luck!

Siv said:
Look everyone, a Jellybean hook!
:woohoo:   Can't beat that, Siv!

Off to the races. I hope it does well for you.

Ow's are starting to perk up a bit since
going under the T5HO lights.

BB Habanero, 2nd year, stalk..:
AF57CB96-D1EF-4F43-BCF7-8EA83AF64B58_1_201_a.jpeg

...and top:
89C81371-8E5E-40F8-86F2-B3FCF2D947F5_1_201_a.jpeg

Chiltepin Rojo, 3rd year:
27EA9489-3C00-4D6E-A3B4-F51F60671294_1_201_a.jpeg

Trying to keep the long branches trimmed
back to more or less of a dome shape as a
base for going outside.

CD's galapagoense, enjoying a breeze... Slow grower in the beginning but plants are taking off now. Some leaf miners showed up though...

IMG_20210204_155016940.jpg

Pr0digal_son said:
I replied to this earlier but it did not send...damn!!

O.K... you are more likely to find C.rhomboideum in your area. Lanceolatum is extremely rare in the wild but worth looking for anyway. Still,your best bet to procure these would be through a vendor or member of these gardening groups. They are pretty common now compared to 10 years ago.

If you decide to look for plants,try to find places disrupted by man. Shady sides of dirt roads are good spots. These are shade plants in their natural environment,and at altitude also. 600-1000m for these guys probably. Less than some others but still up where it is cool and humid.

I have to admit,I am extremely jealous of your climate,it would make it much easier to grow the plants I am keen on. Good luck!

I have SLP lanceolatum seeds in the fridge :) I was curious to know whether these seeds came from a different source (and possibly a different plant collection).

Pepper plants like our climate, but so do pests. Pest pressure is quite high...

Going to collect in the wild is currently out of the question though. Human trafficking gangs have made the off-the-beaten-track areas rather insecure. More than one biologist has been found with a tiro de gracia :(

I like the soft foliage of the galapagoense.

Nice specimens.

ahayastani said:
CD's galapagoense, enjoying a breeze... Slow grower in the beginning but plants are taking off now. Some leaf miners showed up though...

attachicon.gif
IMG_20210204_155016940.jpg

I have SLP lanceolatum seeds in the fridge :) I was curious to know whether these seeds came from a different source (and possibly a different plant collection).

Pepper plants like our climate, but so do pests. Pest pressure is quite high...

Going to collect in the wild is currently out of the question though. Human trafficking gangs have made the off-the-beaten-track areas rather insecure. More than one biologist has been found with a tiro de gracia :(
It's possible that there were more sources than the USDA but this was Bosland's baby. I've never seen multiple accessions. The USDA was the source for many other of the wilds in our circles.

WILDS said:

I envy that you can exchange seeds so easily.
It definitely adds to the fun!

You can grow the Chinese Space Chilis,
you have the first-hand source!

Some of the wild varieties have begun to dribble in...

Left: Wiri-Wiri, good germ rate:
Right, top: Pequin Chihuahua MX.
Right, Bottom: Chili Seguin:
B6EEB59A-67BB-415A-BA40-7BED3C6EA889_1_201_a.jpeg

Top: Mr Sausage Yellow.
Middle: Yellow Pequin.
Bottom: Tolito Guatemalan Chiltepin:
C22F71D1-45AC-4284-8DFF-3D6E087B36DA_1_201_a.jpeg

Fourteen days since sowing seeds,
So a little update on the germination.
Hooks began appearing on Feb. 9, and
have continued at a glacial pace.

Annuum v Glabriusculum have made a
pretty good showing. Waiting on the
Cappuccino Chiltepin, seed from Semillas
la Palma 2019. They did fine last season.
As expected, the c. praetermissum, chaco-
ense, etc. have not really stirred, yet. I'll
leave them for at least a month.

Wild (18):
c. galapagoense
c. rhomboidium
c. lanceolatum
c. chacoense pur. flwr.  2/14-I.................................................1/6……….17%
Cumari Pollux
Cumari Flibu
Cumari, wild collected #1  2/14-I……………………………….1/6……….17%
Cumari, wild collected #2
Blue Mystery
Rocopica

………Glabriusculum/chinense………..
PI 631137 Tolito  2/12-I, 2/13-I………………………..…………2/6……….33%
Wiri Wiri  2/9-II, 2/10-III, 2/13-I………….………….……………6/6……….100%
Pequin MX  2/11-I…………………………….……………………1/6……….17%
Chili ‘Seguin’  2/9-I, 2/12-I…………….…….……………………2/6……….33%
Yellow Pequin 2/9-I, 2/10-I………………….……………………3/3……….100%
Capuccinno Chiltepin
…………………………………
Chiltepin Rojo - OW
CGN 24360 - OW 

I don't have a regular channel to buy space-bred chili peppers! I have bought seeds from the United States, Canada, Australia, Greece and other countries before! I also grow wild chili peppers, but now there are only a few, and some varieties have not been able to sprout.

WILDS said:
I don't have a regular channel to buy space-bred chili peppers! I have bought seeds from the United States, Canada, Australia, Greece and other countries before! I also grow wild chili peppers, but now there are only a few, and some varieties have not been able to sprout.
How difficult is it to send and receive
seeds there? Say someone here wanted
to send/swap seeds with someone there?

There are quite a few forum members grow-
ing wild varieties. Come back for a visit often!

I don't think it's difficult, as long as you choose the right way to send it. Envelopes sent to me need a tracking number so that they can be received more easily. The express industry here is so convenient that ordinary letters can hardly be received, and post office staff are busy delivering letters and parcels with tracking numbers.

That's the way it is. Letters with tracking numbers are even more expensive than some seeds, so someone has to be able to accept and use it. Someone has to pay for the freight.

I will often come to read the posts.

Update on the overwinter front.

Both have started to flower. The CGN 24360 
c. chinense 'BB Habanero' shows it's flower-
ing habit. Covered with flowers all season long:
1BDE09E9-FD50-48FE-9F21-891EBF57FC6E_1_201_a.jpeg

Single flower:
AD773A2C-057C-4C91-98FE-A7FB370B859A_1_201_a.jpeg

Back