• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wild, Indeed, Community Thread

Just getting this started so I can get a url.
I will post more about this in a couple of days.
duck6.jpg

Happy New Year, 2021!

Last edited:
Tybo said:
Nice pics Paul.  
Thanks. Just an iPhone 6+ through a hastings triplet.

Ice and snow now melting. Ground is saturated.
Will be around for a day or two more before it's
gone, then rains come back.
duckling.jpg

PaulG said:
CGN 24360 'BB Habanero' doing what it does best:
attachicon.gif
142EEFAC-CDA8-4C3C-937E-868C8F6FACAB_1_201_a.jpeg

Chili Seguin wild-collected:
attachicon.gif
735EB560-FB91-4395-BD9D-F7349F834559_1_201_a.jpeg
Is that edema on your BB Habs? I'm struggling with that on a few plants again. Doesn't seem to how I water them, or whether the fan is kissing them right on the lips. Love the look of the flowers on that plant. I'll probably be dropping a few wilds and some heirlooms I got from the train last time.  I think that Texas rojo or whatever is the same as the one I gave you.. Sure looks like it. I think mine was a Pequin, not a Tepin, but I forget the difference again. 
Looking good. Thanks for starting this thread!

CraftyFox said:
Is that edema on your BB Habs? I'm struggling with that on a few plants again. Doesn't seem to how I water them, or whether the fan is kissing them right on the lips. Love the look of the flowers on that plant. I'll probably be dropping a few wilds and some heirlooms I got from the train last time.  I think that Texas rojo or whatever is the same as the one I gave you.. Sure looks like it. I think mine was a Pequin, not a Tepin, but I forget the difference again. 
Looking good. Thanks for starting this thread!
Just a little Epsom Salts residue. It will wash off.

The Chiltepin Rojo originally came from CPI
several seasons ago, 2012, actually. This plant
is a third year OW.

Last season I grew the Wild Texas Tepin which I
got off the 2019 seed train with your name on
them. Great plant and very productive, ripening
pods early.

Good luck with those wilds and heirlooms!

PaulG said:

The Chiltepin Rojo originally came from CPI
several seasons ago, 2012, actually. This plant
is a third year OW.

Last season I grew the Wild Texas Tepin which I
got off the 2019 seed train with your name on
them. Great plant and very productive, ripening
pods early.

So.. Would you say they are the same species? Or that my pepper is a Tepin?  I've never felt like I've resolved on what it's really called. Most of my new selections are from that train.  Still to drop this year are: Cumari pollux, Cumari do Para, WG Frutescens, Rocopica, Chacoense, and Eximium.. Though I recall someone telling me at least one of these was hybrid, and I think Cumari do Para is a heirloom, not a wild.. Or am I wrong? 
Think I'm going to have to roll again on the Goat's weed.. Neither of the two seem true. The foliage seems to be lacking that fine coat and the pods have yet to turn up. I'm going to grow them out anyway, because they do so well on the sill. 

CraftyFox said:
So.. Would you say they are the same species? Or that my pepper is a Tepin?  I've never felt like I've resolved on what it's really called. Most of my new selections are from that train.  Still to drop this year are: Cumari pollux, Cumari do Para, WG Frutescens, Rocopica, Chacoense, and Eximium.. Though I recall someone telling me at least one of these was hybrid, and I think Cumari do Para is a heirloom, not a wild.. Or am I wrong? My experience as well, CF, except my Cumari Pollux finally popped this season. I did not plant the Do Para, but am waiting on the same ones, otherwise.
Think I'm going to have to roll again on the Goat's weed.. Neither of the two seem true. The foliage seems to be lacking that fine coat and the pods have yet to turn up. I'm going to grow them out anyway, because they do so well on the sill. 
They are the same species in that they are  c. annuum v Glabriusculum,
as are all chilis native to North and Central  America. My yellow Pequins
are bigger (and tending toward cylindrical, as are my Tepins) than the
Chiltepin varieties, whose pods are smaller and rounder. This has held
true for red and yellow varieties, as well as for the Cappuccino Chiltepin,
and the Amarillo Chiltepin.

I hope that's not my Goat's Weed seed, brother    :oops:
I have lots if you want some (more)     ;)  

PaulG said:
They are the same species in that they are  c. annuum v Glabriusculum,
as are all chilis native to North and Central  America. My yellow Pequins
are bigger (and tending toward cylindrical, as are my Tepins) than the
Chiltepin varieties, whose pods are smaller and rounder. This has held
true for red and yellow varieties, as well as for the Cappuccino Chiltepin,
and the Amarillo Chiltepin. 

I hope that's not my Goat's Weed seed, brother    :oops:
I have lots if you want some (more)     ;)  
Sweet, I feel so much more confident on what to call mine now.. :confused: ! 
Your seed, indeed.. I have plenty of them left. I'm going to start a full round of them next time and see what I pull. 
I'm definitely not hating the hybrids.. And they seem to love the shelf. They have some fuzz, just doesn't seem like it's enough.. Plenty of pods though! The only one that is setting currently.
oRe0bE5l.jpg
wPsqK9Rl.jpg

Back