• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wild, Indeed, Community Thread

Just getting this started so I can get a url.
I will post more about this in a couple of days.
duck6.jpg

Happy New Year, 2021!

Last edited:
Wow! The flibu looks like it has frost on it, @PaulG .It's the fuzziest praetermissum I have grown to date. To address post #336... I find it useful,it's helped me get more active again. I've shared photos of these plants a million times,so It's nice to see new faces taking interest.

I'm not the one to give any seed saving advice because my method is irresponsible. When very few of us were growing these I put more emphasis on generating and saving seed but there are so many out there now I don't see the sense. I haven't saved seeds in probably 5 years.This year I am going to do it properly and store them in the fridge so they keep for awhile. I'm going to take a break and focus on the 2500 or so Solanum species out there. :shocked:
That Lance is a beauty, a real specimen piece!
Looks like it's in a pretty good sized pot. What size
pot do you usually grow the wilds in? I find that the
#2 or #3 produce praetermissums five feet tall :eek:.
Or more!

Just out of curiosity, what do you do with the pods?
I'm thinking of leaving a lot on the bushes to see if
the birds will eat them in the late Fall and winter. I'm
really growing them for fun and interest in preserving
some wild genetics. Will probably save the biggest
pods for seeds.

The plant is ehhhhh. It's not in jeopardy of dying,but not what I was hoping for. I had a very good line and like and idiot I let the seeds go bad,so I might try again next year,but will still save seeds from this plant. I let all but a few pods fall and rot. They are just too seedy for me to use. I have a tepin plant out there as a decoy for the birds so they don't get some of the more rare stuff. Never really thought about keeping them out during the winter to feed them.

That is a 10 gallon sack as I was expecting alittle more out of it. I tend to grow wilds in small pots because it's always been about producing seeds and not about growing large plants. C.praetermissum and wild baccatums I will grow in 10 or 15 gallon because they get very large and eat up container space. Some of the others,specifically C.galapagoense I will grow in 1 or 2 gallons. I've grown them inground and in large containers and they just don't produce as much or ripen fast enough in zone 5.

The last 7 years it's been a real crapshoot trying to predict the weather,prep container mixes properly etc. There is no consistency at all and we have gone from record breaking rainfalls to historic drought from year to year. Through this,I have noticed certain wilds doing better during bad years,and some worse during what I would consider good seasons. This year I am doing C.galapagoense in a 1 gallon container and it is putting out larger berries than I can ever remember in a season that is shit!

51419020729_85f1331699_c.jpg

51418258541_7b35265259_c.jpg

Tepin plant distracting the birds.

51428764919_4a263f3c6e_c.jpg

51427261682_f1994f5896_c.jpg

51428764914_c3bb9d2310_c.jpg

My Galapagos are in #1 nursery pots, but aren’t doing
anything. I think I stunted them under the. Shop lights
for so long. I will try to keep them going this winter
under some decent light.

Also, I guess my Tepin from Crafty Fox (via seed train)
is a cross. The pods are conical rather than round. Rats.

Last edited:
Wow! The flibu looks like it has frost on it, @PaulG .It's the fuzziest praetermissum I have grown to date. To address post #336... I find it useful,it's helped me get more active again. I've shared photos of these plants a million times,so It's nice to see new faces taking interest.

I'm not the one to give any seed saving advice because my method is irresponsible. When very few of us were growing these I put more emphasis on generating and saving seed but there are so many out there now I don't see the sense. I haven't saved seeds in probably 5 years.This year I am going to do it properly and store them in the fridge so they keep for awhile. I'm going to take a break and focus on the 2500 or so Solanum species out there. :shocked:

C.lanceolatum
51428255083_713ab913cf_c.jpg

51428014651_e052df1288_c.jpg

51427262147_482ab5d6f7_c.jpg
Lovely to see your lanceolatum photos the seeds do very well in tins in cool,dark conditions mine are in tins in plastic bags and some going back more than two decades old but most are 18 years and younger in age and last year my daughter took some lanco seeds from 2008 and they germinated fine a few didn't but hey.🙂

For me the Queen of the c.praetermisium is CGN 22795 love love that plant but saying that all the pra are gorgeous to grow.🙂

For me the Queen of the c.praetermisium is CGN 22795 love love that plant but saying that all the pra are gorgeous to grow.🙂
I grew that one last year. I read on infernochili.net that it may
be the closest to the primitive form of the c. praetermissum.
I'll have too grow it again, as not many pods got truly ripe last
season.

My problem with the preatermissums is that they get huge, even in
a 1.5 gallon (#2 nursery pot). I will have to limit them to one plant
per season as it's just too hard to find a spot for them where the
wind doesn't blow them over :cry:

Last edited:
I grew that one last year. I read on infernochili.net that it may
be the closest to the primitive form of the c. praetermissum.
I'll have too grow it again, as not many pods got truly ripe last
season.

My problem with the preatermissums is that they get huge, even in
a 1.5 gallon (#2 nursery pot). I will have to limit them to one plant
per season as it's just too hard to find a spot for them where the
wind doesn't blow them over :cry:
Yep they go everywhere,grew mine under Class mostly but when they got to big I but them out and it turned into a bush and had to regig my greenhouse to put it back in so they good ripen but sowed mine as early as possible think it was about Christmas time to account for germination and grow time,it's tough at times though as weather and pests take there tole.

The not-to-distant waning of Summer into Fall has
seen the wild peppers starting to ripen up their berries
at a more rapid rate. Should be quite a few ready to
pick in the next month or so.

Finally seeing more than a sporadic ripening on the
purple flower c. chacoense.
0CB272B8-9506-40BF-A105-50D18E9C05F9.jpeg

CGN 24360 aka BB Habanero pretty much all ripe.
0904E246-94BB-4C0A-996C-61E5375DB207.jpeg

Cumari annuum accelerating toward full ripeness.
F35B7320-94A0-44FA-93B8-6B2EC8D530A0.jpeg

Pequin Chihuahua has slowed ripening considerably after setting
and ripening berries before any of the other wilds.
CC8FACCA-AA27-4E8C-B7B7-27E70EB44936.jpeg

My purple chaco are always squat,Paul. That is very a impressive plant. I don't envy you one bit with all that picking though.

I've found a C.flexuosum plant that is a winner for seed stock but I cannot keep the birds off of it. There eximiums,tepins,chacos etc. all around it offering up high hanging fruit but they are getting inside the canopy of my flex and eating all of the pods that are just about to ripen--still orange.

51353896593_dd4b489ebb_c.jpg

51477422124_c57ea264cf_c.jpg

Nabbed the last of the ripe rhomboideum pods and it's off to the bin before the frosts.

51476944808_45c13a94a9_c.jpg

My purple chaco are always squat,Paul. That is very a impressive plant. I don't envy you one bit with all that picking though..
I was a little surprised by the canopy, myself. In actuality I
will pick only the larger pods and leave the rest for the birds.

You have got the wilds growing thing down, John. Your plants
look awesome. Really enjoy the great pics, as always.

Maybe some of the little organza bags could be used to protect
the flex pods as they get close to ripe. Crazy that the birds are so
attracted to them.

Last edited:
My purple chaco are always squat,Paul. That is very a impressive plant. I don't envy you one bit with all that picking though.

I've found a C.flexuosum plant that is a winner for seed stock but I cannot keep the birds off of it. There eximiums,tepins,chacos etc. all around it offering up high hanging fruit but they are getting inside the canopy of my flex and eating all of the pods that are just about to ripen--still orange.
Awesome photos and plants :clap:

Back