• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wild, Indeed, Community Thread

Just getting this started so I can get a url.
I will post more about this in a couple of days.
duck6.jpg

Happy New Year, 2021!

Last edited:
Fall has finally arrived in earnest with markedly cooler temps.
The wilds seem to be handling it okay, although the pods are
ripening much slower. I picked a bunch of them today, and am
hoping for one more harvest before I have to pull the plug for
good. I will probably try to OW a few of these just for fun.

Really happy with this one, the Capucinno Chiltepin from
Semillas la Palma. Last season, I got very few ripe pods,
but I managed to pick three dozen or so today, and am
hoping for a few more in the next week. As you can see,
this baby is loaded. The ripest pods down in the interior.
49191DD0-06B2-4939-A6C3-91073546EC37_1_201_a.jpeg

This is about two-thirds of the canopy.

Last edited:
Really happy with this one, the Capucinno Chiltepin from
Semillas la Palma. Last season, I got very few ripe pods,
but I managed to pick three dozen or so today, and am
hoping for a few more in the next week. As you can see,
this baby is loaded. The ripest pods down in the interior.
I have some seeds for this, may have to add them to my grow list for next year 👍

Chiltepin of sinaloa mexico
Looks like a productive plant, leo. The annuum v Glabriusculum
are some of my favorites. My Chiltepin Rojo from the CPI will be
in it's fourth season next year if it survives the winter in the garage.
I also ike the Pequins for their larger-sized berries. Keep 'em comin',
bro!

Last edited:
Also, I guess my Tepin from Crafty Fox (via seed train)
is a cross. The pods are conical rather than round. Rats.

I thought I mentioned before I was mixed up when I called it a Tepin? Pretty sure it's a Pequin. I wasn't sure at the time, but mine has always kicked out oval pods. These seeds for mine came from a wild one in Uvalde, Texas.. Which I also keep forgetting starts with a 'U' and not a 'H'.

I even went back and looked at the messages from when I first got them and Jeanette also was calling them Pequin. Not sure where I got confused but I didn't really understand the differences well before either and read enough on it to stew my brain a little. Now that I have a Cap. Tepin, I still don't see much difference, except in the pods.. Eventually I'll get it. :banghead:

Here's the smaller Uvalde Pequin.. Just brought it in last night. This is the one that got bit off by the rabbit in it's first season. It's also no stranger to the pruners. There's at least a couple of clones of it floating around here. Hard to believe this is almost 3 years old now.. Still waiting to see a wild one growing around the neighborhood, with as many as the birds take. I lost count of how many handfuls of these I picked this year, but it was more than a couple. The one I don't trim is too hard to get in a picture, gangly thing. They are both due for a winter cut.

Fiberpots > Plastic.. Pretty sure I've never repotted this. It's coming though.
1634145142575.jpeg

Besides Cap Tepin, I plan to expand on the wilds a little this year, hopefully adding the Galapagos wild Frutescens that Bhuter gifted me, and I have to look to see what others I actually have. I know I've had a few offers and wants, but I also remember turning a few down because I just wasn't going to grow them right away. I thought I wanted to grow Wiri-Wiri, but it's a Chinense.. Isn't there a Frutescens that looks similar to that? Or maybe I'm just thinking of another species altogether. I also hear the pods on those Wiri-Wiri aren't deciduous, anyone grown an exception to that?

I thought I mentioned before I was mixed up when I called it a Tepin? Pretty sure it's a Pequin. I wasn't sure at the time, but mine has always kicked out oval pods. These seeds for mine came from a wild one in Uvalde, Texas.. Which I also keep forgetting starts with a 'U' and not a 'H'.

I even went back and looked at the messages from when I first got them and Jeanette also was calling them Pequin. Not sure where I got confused but I didn't really understand the differences well before either and read enough on it to stew my brain a little. Now that I have a Cap. Tepin, I still don't see much difference, except in the pods.. Eventually I'll get it. :banghead:

Here's the smaller Uvalde Pequin.. Just brought it in last night. This is the one that got bit off by the rabbit in it's first season. It's also no stranger to the pruners. There's at least a couple of clones of it floating around here. Hard to believe this is almost 3 years old now.. Still waiting to see a wild one growing around the neighborhood, with as many as the birds take. I lost count of how many handfuls of these I picked this year, but it was more than a couple. The one I don't trim is too hard to get in a picture, gangly thing. They are both due for a winter cut.

Fiberpots > Plastic.. Pretty sure I've never repotted this. It's coming though.
1634145142575.jpeg

Besides Cap Tepin, I plan to expand on the wilds a little this year, hopefully adding the Galapagos wild Frutescens that Bhuter gifted me, and I have to look to see what others I actually have. I know I've had a few offers and wants, but I also remember turning a few down because I just wasn't going to grow them right away. I thought I wanted to grow Wiri-Wiri, but it's a Chinense.. Isn't there a Frutescens that looks similar to that? Or maybe I'm just thinking of another species altogether. I also hear the pods on those Wiri-Wiri aren't deciduous, anyone grown an exception to that?
Thanks for clarifying that, CF. Whatever it is, it certainly was my most
productive annuum v Glabriusculum last season. I will probably grow
it again next season. Didn't this year because I grew 16 wild varieties.
What a crazy idea :rofl:It's cool to know that this is an accession
from a wild Texas Pequin. It's a nice companion for the wild Seguin,
Texas Chiltepin (small red , oval berries) Devv snagged for me last season.
They are very similar to the Chiltepin Rojo from CPI. Easy to confuse the
pequin/chiltepin. In my growing experience, the pequins have bigger fruit.

If you are looking for something similar to a Wiri-Wiri, not chinense, I
might suggest a Tolito from Guatemala. Pretty sure it's a frutescens,
after what @Pr0digal_son said earlier in this thread.
It's just as prolific as the Wiri-Wiri. The berries from both are dense and
hard to pick off the calyx. I have mine in the greenhouse to get more
fully ripe, and will have tons of seeds if you are interested in some. These
came from @wiriwiri last season. (Sandy is responsible
for many of the wilds I grew this season (mil grácias, girlfriend!)
I'll go grab a pic of the bush to add to this post.

This is the canopy. As you can see they are almost all ripe. This
plant is 27" tall and 36" wide in a 3-gallon pot. The berries are more
elongated than the Wiri-Wiri ones, which are round.
62ABCC0A-A0CB-4819-815B-64664EDD1077_1_201_a.jpeg

This gives you an idea of the size of the berries. I will probably be
picking these soon, but I may leave them longer if I use the space
heater in the greenhouse. In any case, I will save you seeds, CF.
5B6FF070-429A-4398-861C-8D24B669A2EE_1_201_a.jpeg

Here's a Wiri-Wiri for comparison.
IMG_3217.jpeg

Last edited:
I appreciate the generosity.. I think I'm going to skip those for now though. I'm really trying to have a keen focus on the deciduous and semi-deciduous varieties, moving forward.. Beautiful plants though.

I appreciate the generosity.. I think I'm going to skip those for now though. I'm really trying to have a keen focus on the deciduous and semi-deciduous varieties, moving forward.. Beautiful plants though.
Sure thing, CF. Offer will always stand.

Hoping to get some input or just discussion about self-incompatibility in C.flexuosum or pollen-tube growth issues. There have been many plants grown of this species all over the world and the berry size from plant to plant varies greatly. Even many parthenocarpic fruit.

Has anyone experienced this? Want to share experience or photos? I have two plants this season and the variation in fruit size is substantial--30% probably just from a visual. I've seen far greater range in pod size over the years but not digging through photos.:halo:

Just a brief response that this has been my experience, too. My largest plant tends to produce lots of small berries, and has for a few years now, though some are more toward a medium size. Then I have a smaller plant that has consistently produced large berries. I'd estimate the size difference from one plant to the other at greater than 30%.

Looks like a productive plant, leo. The annuum v Glabriusculum
are some of my favorites. My Chiltepin Rojo from the CPI will be
in it's fourth season next year if it survives the winter in the garage.
I also ike the Pequins for their larger-sized berries. Keep 'em comin',
bro!
I really like this sinaloa chiltepin, I find the plant more beautiful than other varieties but less productive, the pequins I have been growing for years, small fruits like chiltepin and tasty, they are my favorites in the kitchen

Lovely picture @leo72, Flexuosum is always a favourite of mine and you have very nice colours on that corolla.
Same leo72 that I've seen posting other great stuff on pepperfriends? Just wondered as I've joined there recently.

Given this year has been the worst outdoor grow season for me ever & the few wilds I started either didn't germ or succumbed to the elements early on I've gone ahead and tried to start a few. Also gives me more time to re-attempt should I get the inevitable failures.

I'd rather manage plant size and give them a good head start than end up with another season with no wilds :cry: I have a bit more winter grow space at least this year. Is it just me or does grow space always seem much bigger when filled with imaginary plants? :)

Went through my seeds and started germination last week for these:
  • C.Flexuosum
  • C.Praetermissium (seeds from a previous grow, need to identify which one!)
  • C.Lanceolatum
  • C.Galapagoense
  • C.Cardenasii (CGN 20497)
  • C.Tovarii
I have a few others for next year as well but will need to start those nearer the time as even in my optimistic imagination I can't fit them all in the space I have.

The list above put into germ 23rd September, current status = waiting, as expected. End of Message.

Even with nights in lo-mid 40’s the wild praetermissum still
flowers and sets pods. This photo taken on Thursday. The
flowers are white rather than purple due to lack of sun. Day
temps mid-high 50’s.
D4B90C90-B1A8-4164-B44B-0B0164D617E2.jpeg

The Chiltepín Rojo 3rd year down to the last
few pods, and after a severe pruning. Three
gallon container.

20A04E46-0B14-4BBA-878E-792BF85EC813.jpeg

Found these sprouts when getting this Pequin Chihuahua
ready for the garage. The wilds seem to be able to volunteer
here more than any other pepper species. The purple flower
c. chacoense also has a volunteer in the pot with the stalk.
E5200C50-A1BC-4495-BEF5-720D0AF34263_1_201_a.jpeg

Wilds always have late cheeky surprises the Chiltepín doing well on third prune and looking great nice to see some New Volunteers for the winter.🙂

Transplanted the 'Pequin Chihuahua' seedlings.
Most look pretty good, a couple of good possibilities.
They all were starting on the first set of true leaves
when transplanted.
C93D5B24-8968-4D47-A547-D20DAFF3234E.jpeg

3D201D38-FD7A-4E01-AC3C-55F205F83504.jpeg

Time will tell what develops from these.

Last edited:
Back