favorite Wild Varieties-What is your favorite

I been reading up and while searching for info on the rocopica I found this discussion. Could be some help I guess, it's from 2008.

www.pepperfriends.com/forum/topic/1043-ccardenasii-ceximium-rocopica/

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
I been reading up and while searching for info on the rocopica I found this discussion. Could be some help I guess, it's from 2008.

www.pepperfriends.com/forum/topic/1043-ccardenasii-ceximium-rocopica/

-Walt
Yes, that`s an interesting discussion. As far as DNA analysis goes, eximium and cardenesii are distinct species. The trick is to tell them apart, away from DNA sequencing machines  :P

I think the main distinguishing feature is the extremely campellate flowers shown by cardenesii (see the photo I posted today). Cardenesii also has a purple/blue calyx sometimes. If it isn`t there on a campellate flower you can`t say it`s not cardenesii, but if it is there it is cardenesii. 

Rocopica is another nightmare. Are we talking about crosses made outside of South America? I really do wonder whether Rocopica is found in gardens/bush/forest in Bolivia and southern Peru. I just do not know whether it is or not. 

Nigel said:
Here`s a wonderful photo of C.cardenesii flowers in the wilds of Bolivia. This is not related to the above post, difference source and not my photo. The blue/purple calyx is stunning.

Yup, I see that there. I seen quite a bit of pics from both Eximium and Cardenasii and I'm no expert, but there seems to be big difference between them. The flower definitely looks different than one another.

To me there's a quite a confusion between the two and other species. I seen pics that show the CGN 24332 as a C. Buforum which it's not.

I totally agree with you on the DNA lol. There must be someone to do it and shed some light to us wildheads. Hope that happens soon.

I'm going to talk to a few friends from Argentina if they can source any info or seeds. I doubt it, but it will sure help if they do.

-Walt

Nigel said:
Exactly John, but how many people do you know that could tell the difference between any of the cardanesii/eximium complex?

In all honestly, I`ll be very happy to just get another C.eximium, while hoping for a cardanesii. 

I agree, wild Capsicums are looked at as Ho-Hum. They collect them for eating and don`t care what the species is. As far as I can tell Ulupica could mean any of at least 4 species.
Not many,even praetermissum throw people off. They all show different traits and are easy to differentiate when looking at them in person. The pic you posted of the cardenasii is legit,and you can clearly see the difference (campanulate)between it and eximium. It's easy to just look at the color of the flower. Online,the photos are taken in all different aspects,flash,white balances,etc. and it gets confusing. Factor in temps,nutrients,sun intensity and the flowers can be all over the place.

Here is an example of what I mean. Flowers are from the same plant with different photographic conditions.
RSCN4593.jpg

9794093965_acaf1a6f93_b.jpg

Pr0digal_son said:
Not many,even praetermissum throw people off. They all show different traits and are easy to differentiate when looking at them in person. The pic you posted of the cardenasii is legit,and you can clearly see the difference (campanulate)between it and eximium. It's easy to just look at the color of the flower. Online,the photos are taken in all different aspects,flash,white balances,etc. and it gets confusing. Factor in temps,nutrients,sun intensity and the flowers can be all over the place.

Here is an example of what I mean. Flowers are from the same plant with different photographic conditions.
RSCN4593.jpg

9794093965_acaf1a6f93_b.jpg
That`s quite a difference, John. No wonder I`m so confused..... :P

Here is a photo sent to me by a friend in Europe. It`s a different C.eximium and NOT a Rocopica...

Nigel, I haven't forgotten about the CGN 20497. My first attempt at them, they didn't sprout. It looks like I have 8 seeds left, so I will split them with you, maybe you will have better luck than me. Shoot me a PM, I don't seem to have your address handy anymore. I have some other wilds you might be interested in as well. So far I have more wilds than I ever expected thanks to the kind folks around here.

Here is a little update on the wilds that are happily growing in the greenhouse.

CGN 19198 (right) C. Chacoense (left)

cgn19198 and c. chaocoense by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

C. Flexuosum finally put on a second set of leaves and are looking happier. I think they might actually make it!

Untitled by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Cumari Pollux and Cumari Flibu

cumari pollux and cumari flibu by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

C. Parvifolium, these are about ready for a pot up.

c. parviflorum by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

C. Galapogoense, also ready for bigger pots methinks

C. Praetermissium

Anyone have success with wilds in hydro? I have a LOT of empty spaces in my NFT right now.

Very nice Brian! I can't wait for mine to get to that size, yours are looking great.

As far as hydro I've seen pics and people doing it. There's a guy with username "Lee" that had a huge lanceolatum in a hydro setup. This is from wildchilli.eu and he's also a member here so maybe if he sees this he can chime in.

www.wildchilli.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14

-Walt

Lee hasnt been active on here since 3/2012... I find myself constantly looking at his contribution on wildchilli... Very nice plants he grew, wishing i had some of those oringinal seeds he has...

I cannot for the life of me get the lighting right to catch of great picture of this guy but you can see what im trying to show in this one.
IMG_20140109_092123_zpsc8fa2cd8.jpg

capsicum flexuosum check out the dark waxy leaves and pubescent stem very unique. also its growing its second set of leaves :dance:  :dance:

Nice photo's every one, under natural light it is easier for me to tell the difference between the two C. eximium and C. cardenasii and I can see why there is some confusion with C. praetermissum besides having a purple flower with tan spots or markings there is also a  variety that has white flowers with tan or tan markings that make it look more like a C. baccatum I'm wondering if it is more closely related to C. baccatum than the purple flowered variety.
I was a member of Rocoto.com back in the early 2001 or 02 and Joe had was already growing the rocopica that he had received from a grower in Bolivia I believe, if I remember right he had gotten the seeds maked as C. pubescens back around 2000 at that time he was the only one that had it and he beleived that it was a stabile cross of  C.cardenasii X C. pubescens I don't know how ever if there is a wild plot some where, where it might be growing.  I think I will ask Joe if he is still trading as I want to get some C. cardenasii seed from him, failing that I will as my old friend Chris if he has some, that way I will have at least the two main wild species that is related to C. pubescens I am wondering about the other two wild species and what species they may be closely related to I think I did read something about them a wildchilli.eu that might cover that. I knew that C. buforum had been missidentifed, but other than that I am unaware of what the true species it was found to be, maybe someone will enlighten me about it?

Back