favorite Wild Varieties-What is your favorite

Vegas, that 22795 is amazing!!

Still my favorite, the Rhomboideum.

PUMPKINS!!!!!

Thanks Millman! I need to do the Rhombo next year, I see that it grows wide... I don't really have much space, but I've seen some with trained branches to make a Rhombo tower. Heck, I'll make space for one!! Lol!

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Thanks Millman! I need to do the Rhombo next year, I see that it grows wide... I don't really have much space, but I've seen some with trained branches to make a Rhombo tower. Heck, I'll make space for one!! Lol!

-Walt

First year plants grow tall, very, very tall.  Others get 6-8 feet when not cutting back.  Once cut back they branch out and get super wide.  This is a third year plant and you can see how it is wanting to grow tall but I will probably take a bunch of cuttings off of it so it will branch out some more.

Vegas_Chili said:
Here's my Lanceolatum, I'm finally making progress. This one is seriously hard to grow. For a noob like me tho.

This are in an Aerogarden with a rapid rooter. And growing at a decent pace.

Can't wait to see it fully grown with berries :D.

-Walt
Definitely white flies,you better toss that one out. :liar: :liar:

If it is that far along,it should break on through. They can be tricky at a young age. Good work.
millworkman said:
Vegas, that 22795 is amazing!!

Still my favorite, the Rhomboideum.

PUMPKINS!!!!!

Baby spinach...yum! I have been cutting my plants back every 2 weeks. They are pretty vigorous.

You can see the little millipedes curled up down there on the left.  They are pretty vigorous bark strippers and root eaters but I don't fight them.  These plants are amazing.

566f4985-2914-432a-96e4-d4a1d0022e27_zps261170e6.jpg

1bd5099f-7be6-4905-b549-22b6fd0332f1_zps131516c9.jpg

Group shot. These guys need potted up! Still sitting in dixie cups.
13885393484_234da15ef9_o.jpg

13885097313_3aa4a745bd_o.jpg

13885642614_5c9529d8ce_o.jpg

13885206835_d0dd8d8298_o.jpg

13885329073_3d20676978_o.jpg

Wow!! Those are growing nice! You need to teach me how to keep them alive in soil :D.

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Wow!! Those are growing nice! You need to teach me how to keep them alive in soil :D.

-Walt
It's luck really. If you have one that far along,you will be fine. They have a high percentage of helmet heads and weak sprouts. When you see fat cots,those will grow good.

I have never used an aerogarden but they seem to put out nice starts.I like soiless mixes. My indoor goals are always to start later and cut costs while have similar or better results.

standbyandfire said:
Capsicum tovarii
2014 season
IMG_20140410_184426.jpg
King tovarii! You are going to need a more advanced staking system. :lol: The limbs get really brittle with those. My all-time fav plant. Have fun with it.

Nigel said:
Yellow Tepin. One of 5 I have. Seeds were from Romy6. Thanks Jamie!  CAP 503. C.eximium  And the Master Rhomboideum grower puts in an appearance. Very nice Noah!!!
Yellow tepin....very cool. I am wheelin and dealin for a yellow chacoense right now.

Very nice everyone, my Galapagoense, are doing well along with the Eximium I overwintered, my orange or yellow tepins didn't make it they popped the same time my Galapagoense did they even set their first set of true leaves then they just shriveled up and died back to the roots , I thought one or two might make it but no, If anyone has a few extra seeds to share I would be happy to get a couple.
The Lanceolatum looks great, they are so hard to get to sprout, the Tovarii is another that is hard to grow.
For those of you that will have some fresh seeds later this summer keep me in mind, my next years grow will be all wilds and I would like to rebuild my stock of rare wild species along with my chiltepins.

Portuge said:
Got around to putting some of my plants into the ground today. Total of 9 went into this bed, starting off is C. Galapagoense.

C. Galapagoense

Here's the rest in the ground...

Perfect, what a nice set up.  What kind of animals are you protecting them from?  Do you get hard freezes in Fresno?  I'm not familiar with the area...

Spicegeist said:
Perfect, what a nice set up.  What kind of animals are you protecting them from?  Do you get hard freezes in Fresno?  I'm not familiar with the area...
Thanks Charles, a little insurance policy to keep the two Pits that we have from chewing on them. Hard Freezes here in Fresno? Don't know what that is buddy jk, the lowest it got this past winter was 32 degrees for what seems only an hour the most. Wish we got some of the storms yall get over there on the east coast, total for the season of rainfall maybe an inch. Don't quote me on that one haven't done my homework on how much rain we have received so far.

Back