• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Wild Varieties-What is your favorite

Nice and yea I find chiltepins really interesting that is why I'm growing some this year and actually chiltepins started my interest in wilds

These are a few wild varieties that came in that I'll grow next season.
CGN 22869
CGN 17020(PI281353)
CGN 22792(PI260478, Aji Chuncho)
CGN 20800
CGN 24360
Bradley's Bahamian
:D

Well, I have about 18 of those Bastrop chiltepin seeds left. I got 100% germ rate so it is some healthy stock. If anyone wants some I will gladly trade for other wilds. Or, just send them to another wild chili enthusiast if nobody has any spare seeds.

My babies just have their first true leaves so they are still in the fragile phase, but I am trying to be more careful this year. Just re-potted...cold snap tonight expected down to 44F, going to bring them in.

[quotePimenta Trepedeira do Werner it is wild variety,][/quote]

OH I have got to get some of these seeds to start..... i want a big huge plant like that.. yum!

I've got some growing this year.. under C. Annuum im growing tepin and piquin... C. Frutescens Bradleys Bahamian and the Cgn 17020 PI 281353 C. Chacoense Most Prolific from pepperlover.com and Cgn 20800... I am looking to include some of those sought after ones to my list, if anyone stumbles upon some...

I gotten some wild varieties from Pepperlover. Great prices and Judy sends extra varieties. She has a great list of wild's that she sells. Hard to beat, plus free shipping. :D

Yea ordering my wilds a few days ago was my first experience with her and haven't received the seeds yet but so far I'm impressed with the service. I should receive my stuff today according to tracking

From reading the reviews about her website she supposedly has great germ rates and gives great extras. She said she was going to toss in a couple extras wilds so I find that to be great customer service

Where are you all getting your seeds at? I noticed the CGN numbers so I know that the seed first came from the seed bank in Norway, I know Junglerain has quite a few wild varieties, speaking of which I have not seen him post for a while, Hope He is OK.
Does the N.M. University where Dr Bosland at, have a list of the rare wild ones I know he does have a list of all the hybrids that they come up with along with a good many others that you can buy.
Being disabled I'm forced to save nickles and dimes to buy any seeds that I would like, I did get lucky and was able to trade a good water pump for some seeds for this year which will keep me going for some time, although I would like to get some yellow brain strains and some Reaper seeds but at the price reaper seeds I will have to save up a bit for them.
I did find that there is a C. flexuosum that does have some heat PI631154 at the USDA Seed Bank I'm wondering if anyone has seeds from that varieties? I think I have tried growing C. galapagoense three or four times with out any luck, but I can say the same C. flexuosum and C. tovarii I haven't tried growing C. lanceolatum yet but, I'm sure its one that will give me fits also I'm not sure what is going on with them, as I have grown C. eximium, C. cardenasii. C. ciliatum before it was dropped renames then renamed again as C. rhomboideum, C. exile which reminds me of C. chacoense C. praetermissum along with one that was a wild natural cross of a rocoto and a cardenasii known as Rocopica also several birdeye annuums and some birdeye baccatums all with no trouble even though some had a extended germination times. So has anyone had the same problems as I have and if so what have you done to have better germination?

I got 4 varieties 2 packs each with free shipping from pepperlover.com she provides extras and it was 76 dollars I think it was relatively good pricing for the types I ordered considering I got extras and free shipping

No!! Must resist.... must resist... must resis. No more sowing lol.

I hate you guys lol, I'm gona end up sowing more seed and just never end. I'm just too weak, I think I'm gona get some more seed when I get my vacation pay from work. :D

Nice pics everyone, I'll soon have my collection to show.

, Vegas

Where are you all getting your seeds at? I noticed the CGN numbers so I know that the seed first came from the seed bank in Norway, I know Junglerain has quite a few wild varieties, speaking of which I have not seen him post for a while, Hope He is OK.
Does the N.M. University where Dr Bosland at, have a list of the rare wild ones I know he does have a list of all the hybrids that they come up with along with a good many others that you can buy.
Being disabled I'm forced to save nickles and dimes to buy any seeds that I would like, I did get lucky and was able to trade a good water pump for some seeds for this year which will keep me going for some time, although I would like to get some yellow brain strains and some Reaper seeds but at the price reaper seeds I will have to save up a bit for them.
I did find that there is a C. flexuosum that does have some heat PI631154 at the USDA Seed Bank I'm wondering if anyone has seeds from that varieties? I think I have tried growing C. galapagoense three or four times with out any luck, but I can say the same C. flexuosum and C. tovarii I haven't tried growing C. lanceolatum yet but, I'm sure its one that will give me fits also I'm not sure what is going on with them, as I have grown C. eximium, C. cardenasii. C. ciliatum before it was dropped renames then renamed again as C. rhomboideum, C. exile which reminds me of C. chacoense C. praetermissum along with one that was a wild natural cross of a rocoto and a cardenasii known as Rocopica also several birdeye annuums and some birdeye baccatums all with no trouble even though some had a extended germination times. So has anyone had the same problems as I have and if so what have you done to have better germination?
I have bought wilds from Judy and various others. Also did many trades. My thought is good seed will grow, every time, regardless of type. I went at the wilds harder this year and sowed more than I needed. My germs were on par with any other species I have grown. 4-14 day average. Except tovari, that took maybe 3 weeks. I did nothing different. No soak, no this, no that, just in the medium, warm and wet.

On a side note, I remember around 2005 when I stopped growing a plant here and there and planted something like 50 plus types.I was jacked to grow "The Ghost" at that time and Choc. Habs etc. I used to lurk around garden sites and was always drawn to Jon Fiedler's pictures. He was so far beyond what I was doing. He had pictures of wilds in 2003 or so. I would look at them and never got why someone would want to grow such a small berry with a scientific name. I think cmpman, millworkman, most likely smokemaster and others were on this back then. I think it is a logical progression for any chili grower to end up at the wilds. Nice to have face melting super hots, but more people should venture into the ancestry.

I think wilds are an amazing thing but I don't like hearing of people crossing them I think wilds should be preserved as they are and I especially don't think you should be crossing them with supers just my opinion though. To me it's like ruining a piece of art

I think wilds are an amazing thing but I don't like hearing of people crossing them I think wilds should be preserved as they are and I especially don't think you should be crossing them with supers just my opinion though. To me it's like ruining a piece of art

There are a lot of benefits to interspecific hybridization. Wayright mentioned earlier that the only plant that ever overwintered outside for him was flexuosum. They are known for their cold tolerance. What if those traits were passed along to a cultivated variety? That kind of stuff interests me more than a 1.8 million average heat. What will ruin these is seed mix ups,not hybridization.

Back