• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Wild Varieties-What is your favorite

Thanks JB and FB for posting updates! The lance, chacoense and ulupica look great! 

Here is an update on my c. galapagoense:

fPFixGIl.jpg

wlk628Fh.jpg

Cumari Pollux (below) is tired. She is ready for bed time!  Turn out the lights! 

DngDc4Lh.jpg

chiltepin said:
Question:  Is Cumari Pollux the same as "true cumari"?  thanks.

Hmm, normally the people mean "cumari do para" when they talk about "true cumari".

But from the botanical point of view i dont know..

chiltepin said:
Question:  Is Cumari Pollux the same as "true cumari"?  thanks.

Did you buy your seeds from Judy at Pepperlover.com?  I believe that is the way she labels the Cumari Pollux.  In her description of the Cumari Pollux, she states "there is only one true Cumari that belongs to Capsicum Praetermissium it is also wild Brazilian pepper it is known as Cumari Pollux".  I ordered those seeds from her this year.  I started three of them and got one of them to germinate.  I have it in a container right now and there are pods on it.  I will post a pic later.  I am also growing the Cumari do Para.  Got that one from Juanitos.  One big difference is that the Pollux is a small bit "hairy" on the leaves.  I have yet to pick actual fruit from either plant so any other comparison is just what I see.

Thanks Ben.  I have seeds from a couple sources.  The Pollux has 3 months growth since I posted the most left photo.  Yes, it is a little hairy.  Like you, I am growing the Cumari Pollux and the Cumari do Para.  Nothing much, yet.  Very excited.

edit:  I am growing some seeds from SmokeMaster via Waywright or Scorpion John.   I think (?)  Also forgot to put the date sowed on the Cumari from Capcom.

DngDc4Lm.jpg
O4W5SCfl.jpg
4AQ3R4Rm.jpg

Cumari do Para -- kind of spindely
PNyW3Tcm.jpg

SQi6kduh.jpg

not sure what constitutes wild but i'm growing wild brazil, orange wild brazil,  cumari do para, grants mystery citrus, and if they count pequin and yellow tepin. I do have a bunch of other wild seeds I haven't grown yet. Maybe next year. 

Looking at trying my hand at some wilds next year. What would everyone recommend as a good seller of some wild seeds? I really don't know what I am looking for, but I absolutely love the look of C.Praetermissium and some of the CGN. Great thread, and great looking plants ya'll

Peter over at Semillas has a big variety of wilds. Galapagoense, Lanceolatum, Praetermissums CAP 1144 and 1478. He also has the one Nigel posted about, CGN 23255. Yellow pod varieties like Wild Brazil, etc.

The past couple of years I have realized wilds are more interesting for me anyways. Flowers, pubescense, rare as in not mainstream and can be difficult to obtain some of the more sought after varieties/species.

Many don't germinate in typical ~10 day fashion. More than 30-90 days to germinate is not unusual. For example, I sowed this c.galapagoense 5/19/2016 and it just got first true leaves.

Pm3YL60m.jpg

Back