• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Wild Varieties-What is your favorite

Not the best pic but here's my little Tovarii seedling
20160223_082810.jpg

standbyandfire said:
I know someone growing true C. cardenasii variety. :)

I got one plant that was labeled as "cardenasii" which, at the current state of development, looks pretty much like the cgn20497 cardenasii I also have. Will share some comparative shots when flowering begins.

Thanks to Buddy's benefit auction and some generous folks here at THP I'm growing my first wilds this season. It has been a humbling and learning experience for sure. I'm most grateful for this blog, there is much to learn. Here's what I've germinated so far, C. Rhomboideum, CGN 19198, C. Flexuosum, C. Chacoense x Purple, Galapagoense, C. Chacoense Chile Congo, Cap 1478, Pointed Prat, Cap 691, Blue Mystery, Cap 1530, and White Flower Eximum. Please excuse any spelling errors. There are quite a bit more on my list but no germination as yet. It's 65 degrees here in Indiana today though a bit breezy, I hauled all my plants outdoors for watering and a start for hardening off. We'll see how the season goes, many thanks to FreeportBum, Wayright, and Chiltepin for guidance in this endeavor, I must admit I'm a bit fearful experimenting with this. I've about given up on C. Lanceolatum, over 2 months and no sign of germination, I've jumped through plenty of hoops trying to get there. Semillas looks promising for some seeds.

fiogga said:
Thanks to Buddy's benefit auction and some generous folks here at THP I'm growing my first wilds this season. It has been a humbling and learning experience for sure. I'm most grateful for this blog, there is much to learn. Here's what I've germinated so far, C. Rhomboideum, CGN 19198, C. Flexuosum, C. Chacoense x Purple, Galapagoense, C. Chacoense Chile Congo, Cap 1478, Pointed Prat, Cap 691, Blue Mystery, Cap 1530, and White Flower Eximum. Please excuse any spelling errors. There are quite a bit more on my list but no germination as yet. It's 65 degrees here in Indiana today though a bit breezy, I hauled all my plants outdoors for watering and a start for hardening off. We'll see how the season goes, many thanks to FreeportBum, Wayright, and Chiltepin for guidance in this endeavor, I must admit I'm a bit fearful experimenting with this. I've about given up on C. Lanceolatum, over 2 months and no sign of germination, I've jumped through plenty of hoops trying to get there. Semillas looks promising for some seeds.

Amazing! I know who i'm sending a SASBE to this fall  :P  that purple chaco is dead sexy. When the weather gets a little warmer up here I have a extra lance plant for you if you would like it. Cheers

Thanks for sharing! I love it. Those regimented solo cups look awesome! I have about a 1/3 of yours in red cups. You don't have to answer this but aren't the wilds a bit of a challenge? Good luck and keep us posted from time to time!

fiogga said:

THIS. IS. AMAZING.

chiltepin said:

Wow!  That is huge news.  I am envious  :)  Any other info?  Is this the first year?  How far along? etc. etc.

It grew out true last year (not mine, unfortunately), so we will see what the seed from last year gives this year. 2nd year in 2016, from very old seeds last year. 

I`ve grown 7 or 8 different ones labelled as "cardenasii" and they`ve all been hybrids, including CGN 20497. Last time i looked CGN 20497 was correct in 2003 or 4 photos, but photos of the fruit from 2009 were not right, as it no longer had the purple calyx seen in the earlier photos. My suspicion is that CGN no longer has the true species, but a cross. 

Within the past year or so, I have found Wilds much more interesting to grow - for me, that is. However, I am not the grower most of you are. I have lost c. tovarii, lance and no flex.

Here are a few I have growing in 2016. The wilds are centered around the AeroGarden which is the so-called nursery, so that I can keep an eye on them. 

THE TWINS:  c. preatermissum from Peter at SLP (Left) and Blue Mystery (c. praet) on right from Judy by way of George (WildSeed57):

(small photo courtesy of semillas.de)

nUmrZahl.jpg

capsicum_praetermissum.jpg

CGN 20800 and Duke Pequin:      

ALoFft8l.jpg

Cumari Pollux from SmokeMaster (background) and CGN 21536 also from SmokeMaster (foreground):

109W4Ttl.jpg

Eximium (CAP 500) from George (WildSeed57).  Had to put in cheater tank to keep it from dying (not Dill).  It is gonna live.  Yes, MoA from Juanitos in background:

fdEwooXl.jpg

Wild Brazil:

BfSvRCRl.jpg

CAP 539 (HyMo01):

IZaEzMUl.jpg

Ulupica (eBay) probably turns out to be Eximium:  :rolleyes:

g3nQh5cl.jpg

Another one from George (Unknown Praet).

TFGF66gl.jpg

I've only had the Chacoense, because I live in the Gran Chaco where it grows wild. I gotta say it's a blast cruising down the dirt roads around here, getting off the motorcycle and searching for these along the side of the road. These are the real McCoy. Not delicate at all. Temps are in triple digits 6 months of the year and we often get less than 4 inches annual rainfall and they just grow like crazy.

They have a distinct smokey flavor that I love in spaghetti. The indigenous in these parts dry them out to store them and eat a couple a day with their food.

I have two healthy lanceolatums seedlings make it out of four seeds a third plant is pretty sickly looking, but I will let it continue to grow if it does at all. My tovarii seeds though have not shown any sprouts yet i have no idea how old they might be, I might remove a few from the seed starters and give them a good soak in some plant growth hormone (gibberellic acid) again as I just gave them a dilute soak the first time. I had some other wilds C. chacoense, C. eximium that didn't come up either they were given to me a long with the tovarii so I don't know the story on them. I think I might have a few more seeds of them so I plan to try and grow some more if I can get them to sprout, I have a 2 year old C. galapagoense along with Judy's Blue that I overwintered this year. I'm hoping to find some fresh seeds of flexuosum or some rhomboideum. If I can't get my tovarii to sprout I'll be looking for them also, I really like growing the wilds even though they can be very difficult at times.

Juan welcome to our little club here, I really like the chacoense species, I had one that I really liked as it was a small sprawling plant that would produce handfuls of oily little pods that also had a light smokey earthy flavor to them.  

Back