• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

windchicken 2017

My every season starts with Texas Pequin, because it never stops growing. A few weeks back we dug up about 30 of these perennial plants to rescue them from the relentless march of the upcoming super hots...

pequin_1.jpg

Matthew Arthur also sent me seeds for a purple C. chinense which seems to go by a couple different names, either "Purple Naga Viper Brain Strain," or "Purple Brain Infinity." I started 12 plants, but gave several of them away, as I have once again way over-sown. Two of them went to my friend/co-worker "Bayou Bob," who is doing a much better job with them. The pods seem to eventually ripen to this nice burnt red color:

pnvbs1.jpg

pnvbs2.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Great Looking Fruit!

Thanks Neil!

Genetikx said:
Yes really liking the looks of those pods. Great stuff

Thanks Ryan! I'll probably have seeds available later on in the season...

Superhot Sim said:
Hi Gary I received seeds to these 2 seasons ago, a friend has been growing it out for me last 2 seasons. Seeds we're labelled Purple naga viper brains.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Cool Simmy! There seems to be a bit of confusion around this variety, and it seems a bit of a challenge to get straight information from anyone...I suspect there may be more than one such crosses looking very similar to one another, at least in the early stages of pod development...

Superhot Sim said:
These are the pods from last season. [emoji6]
aa8135b3a78a0327a637c8da132a1e00.jpg

Those look great, Simmy! Did they pass through the rust-colored phase of mine in the above photo?

Devv said:
Good stuff here as always Gary!

I'm on the same boat with backing away a bit from the supers; the bonnet class peppers have me hooked. I can really use them so much more readily in everyday meals versus the burn your face off supers. That, or maybe age? LOL

Thanks Scott! To be honest, even though I've backed  way off on my super hot growing, I'm probably eating more supers than ever now, but just a couple or three varieties...It just doesn't make sense to me to grow the huge volume and variety that I have in the past, because how many 5-gal buckets of 1.5M SHU peppers does a guy need??? There are plenty of other guys around focusing all their energy on that...My goal is to get my grow down to maybe one or two real dependable, tasty varieties of the "weapons grade" supers, but in nice production quantities, like maybe 12 or 24 plants of each. I have zero interest in the "Whitman's Sampler" grow of any varieties of peppers, and certainly not the super hots...

Having bloviated at length on all that, I have to say that NagaBrain has decided for itself, by God, that it's not going away, whether I decide to sow seeds or not. There are several dozen volunteers of both the Red and Chocolate variants in my gardens this year, and they are now beginning to give up ripe fruit...This pod is classic Red NagaBrain in pod shape, texture, and aroma. I will check for capsaicin levels and flavor at lunch time today:

nb1.jpg

nb2.jpg

When they were growing at my friends Gary they went through various colour changes, purple orange then ripened to the deep rich blood red pods I posted. There a lot a pheno variation over here which I'd expect in our cooler climate. Fantastic flavour and manageable heat.
The rust phase on your pod is stunning. Good work.

Superhot Sim said:
When they were growing at my friends Gary they went through various colour changes, purple orange then ripened to the deep rich blood red pods I posted. There a lot a pheno variation over here which I'd expect in our cooler climate. Fantastic flavour and manageable heat.
The rust phase on your pod is stunning. Good work.

Thanks Simmy! I wonder if they even came from the same cross. Folks over here seem to think it's Matthew's work, and he's neither confirmed nor denied...

windchicken said:

Ah, okay, then...That explains that! Thanks so much Simmy! So someone in the U.K. developed this pepper?
No I think Matthew got a cross from the naga viper I sent him. That would explain the pod pictures I believe are from Matthews garden. You said you and others believe it's Matthews work. [emoji6]

The Nagabrains I grew (can't remember if I got seed from you or from Justin White) looked similar to your pic but a bit wider at the shoulders and deeper folds. They really are great though, the taste is savoury to me. My wife made fresh basil and Nagabrain pesto last season and it was amazing. Growing an extra plant next year as well as the one I overwintered from last season.

Jase4224 said:
The Nagabrains I grew (can't remember if I got seed from you or from Justin White) looked similar to your pic but a bit wider at the shoulders and deeper folds. They really are great though, the taste is savoury to me. My wife made fresh basil and Nagabrain pesto last season and it was amazing. Growing an extra plant next year as well as the one I overwintered from last season.

Thanks for growing NagaBrain Jase!

stickman said:
Hi Gary, I got my first ripe full-sized pod from an off-pheno Forbing Naga that seems to have reverted to its Trinidad Scorpion heritage.
attachicon.gif
0813171827.jpg

I don't know what it tastes like yet, but I'll have some of it on my egg 'n cheese breakfast sammie tomorrow and let you know.
Cheers!

Cool Rick! Thanks for growing Forbing Naga...For an F3 grow, we're not doing so bad. I'm still getting the yellows, too...Last season it was 2 out of 6 plants. This year it's only 1 out of 6 plants, so we're getting closer....

This year's garden has been a difficult learning experience...One can definitely use too much RCW (chipped oak branches) as mulch, but the plants are beginning to recover now. The silver lining to that dark cloud has been the forest of volunteer chile plants in my garden, two of which are framing this shot..

garden1.jpg

windchicken said:
This year's garden has been a difficult learning experience...One can definitely use too much RCW (chipped oak branches) as mulch, but the plants are beginning to recover now. The silver lining to that dark cloud has been the forest of volunteer chile plants in my garden, two of which are framing this shot..

garden1.jpg
That begs the question... How much is too much? You're certainly the expert on RCW Gary, so this is grist for the mill. [emoji2]

Sounds like the extra-spicy FN may have gotten a more Bhut-like mix of genes. Cheers!

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Back