Windchicken Grow 2011

It looks like you are going to have some early pods. I can't wait to see the overwinters in October.

You have a great start already with those huge overwinters!
And your seedlings look excellent too!
Great work WC!

Noah, If you don't mind my asking, and I don't mean to hijack Kevin's thread, but I have a question about the Habanero de Arbol. I have six little seedlings growing...They look real healthy and all, but the leaves and the stems look nothing at all like any C. chinense or C. baccatum that I have grown. They look for all the world like C. annuum plants: smooth, narrow, pointed leaves, and slender stems with the nodes spaced far apart. These are growing right alongside some Devil Tongue seedlings that are behaving as you would expect chinense to, so it's not the growing conditions....

How did your Tree Hab look at around 8 weeks? Thanks!

I don't really remember what they looked like when they were young but they as they grew the leaf shape changed a bit. Post up some recent pictures of yours and I can make a semi educated guess on them. From what I do remember though they grew very very fast and no matter how you trimmed them back, they do not grow bushy. Here are a couple pictures of mine from the last two years.

This is the first picture I have of this plant, I believe it is less than 4 months old from seed in this picture. The leaves look a lot like the picture of yours above.

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3490.jpg

And this is what the pods look like.

IMG_3491.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

Far right is what the plant ended up looking like after its first year, after over-wintering.

SDC10345.jpg

First growth of the year last year.

SDC10549.jpg

One week later.

SDC10548.jpg

Later

SDC10679.jpg

See what I mean about the pruning does nothing to stop this thing growing into a tree?

SDC10677.jpg

Pod set

SDC10709.jpg

This thing topped out at just under 9' its second year.

SDC10894.jpg

Ceilings are 9'

CIMG0116.jpg

And here are some pictures of Dale's (thepodpiper, I hope he doesn't mind) I believe he also got his from smokemaster. The shape between the two are almost identical, its weird.

TreeHab.jpg

Picture030-1.jpg

Wow, great photos, Noah! Thanks! And what an amazing plant! I believe mine are the same as that one.

Man, I'm excited about these chiles now. How is the taste? Can you estimate the SHU value?

I don't generally eat straight pods, usually cut them up in salsas, picos, on sandwiches and stuff like that but the flavor is pretty good, a bit mild taste and sort of sweet. Heat is less than an orange habanero most of the time but some pods can kick your butt.

Sounds real nice. Thanks!

For some reason, I like chile plants with that crazy habit. That it is a habanero is just too perfect.

My plant-out is taking ridiculously long this year...I'm afraid I was overly ambitious with my garden. Anyway, I wanted to get the whole thing planted before I posted any photos, but my brother snapped some shots with his SLR camera Saturday morning that I thought I would share now...Please bear in mind that the garden is a work in progress, and is only about halfway built.

Overview looking north. I am currently building 4 more short rows, for the C. annuum plants, to the left of the field of view shown here. The burned-out truck is yet another artifact:

Naborton Garden 14May2011 - 14.jpg

Cajamarca (10 plants). Wind and insect damage has been fierce this year:

Naborton Garden 14May2011 - 06.jpg

Jamaican Scotch Bonnet (12 plants):

Naborton Garden 14May2011 - 07.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion (8 plants):

Naborton Garden 14May2011 - 08.jpg

Congo Red, a.k.a. Congo Trinidad, 8 plants:

Naborton Garden 14May2011 - 09.jpg

Aji Limon (12 plants):

Naborton Garden 14May2011 - 10.jpg

Guampinha de Veado (C. baccatum, Brazil, 6 plants). These have only been in the ground for a couple of days, and are still leggy and yellow from being rootbound:

Naborton Garden 14May2011 - 11.jpg

Aji Amarillo (6 plants). Same comments as Guampinha apply:

Naborton Garden 14May2011 - 12.jpg

Aji Panca (C. chinense, 1 plant). There are two Nambe Pueblo (Thanks Richard!) behind this one, but no photo yet:

Naborton Garden 14May2011 - 13.jpg

You're welcome Gary. Did your Nambe Pueblos start flowering when the plant was about 6" tall? All mine did, and I have been pinching them quite often. I did let one pod set on a tiny plant just to watch what happens. I wonder if it is characteristic of a pepper that has a very long history living at high elevation with a very short season. Good luck with your gardens this year, I hope you have a blessed season.

You're welcome Gary. Did your Nambe Pueblos start flowering when the plant was about 6" tall? All mine did, and I have been pinching them quite often. I did let one pod set on a tiny plant just to watch what happens. I wonder if it is characteristic of a pepper that has a very long history living at high elevation with a very short season. Good luck with your gardens this year, I hope you have a blessed season.

Yes, the Nambes were the very first to begin flowering and setting fruit. Way before the Jalapeños; even, they were putting on pods while still in the little 6-inch plastic pots. I believe you are right, that they come so early because of the high country where they were bred for all those hundreds of years, but their vigor is nonetheless remarkable!

I only got two of them to sprout, so now they're in the 18-inch "special care" containers with the extra-good dirt and fertilizers. I've not pinched any flowers, so they've got lots and lots of pods on them. They get plenty of attention from all my garden visitors...

In other news, the Lumbre are growing like nobody's business. I've got 12 plants in the little 3-inch peat pots, and they have already surpassed in size the Thai Chiles and some other C. baccatum strains that were sprouted weeks earlier! I'm working every day to get my four dedicated C. annuum rows ready, because I want some of that Lumbre fire!

Thanks for the encouragement, and I hope your grow is wonderful, too.

Your garden looks great Gary!
All that work looks like it is paying off for ya bigtime!
I dig that thick mulch! It should really cut down on your weeding time!
Great work man!!

Kevin

Back