• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Great thread. Here is my contribution to winter germination from a couple of months ago - Ghetto heat pad set top box:

IMAG1500.jpg

It's got my Butch Ts out of the blocks in the November cold snap. No need for light until they sprout, then they went outside to the greenhouse.

Looking good, harry!

Does anyone know why Christmas is extra special for us Aussies? It's that magical time of the year when pods *really* start appearing. :D

Sure did - the set top box puts out enough heat keep the warm on all but the coldest nights, so I'll seed up again during winter, and yes Nova, a ghetto thread would be tops - there must be one somewhere here!

Looks nice and warm and humid in there for 'em! Did you get good results from your ghetto set-up?

Are they orange lanterns Gas ??? I have a few orange lanterns just popped up ... hopefully I get some pods before the end of the season

In the bowl is my two types of NOT Wasps (yellow and orange) and the ones in my hand are the, uh, yellow ones (which decided to ripen to orange this season :crazy:). Major bummer really.... I liked 'em better when they were yellow.

Bloody huge too compared to last season. Just a shame they taste so vile.....

Gas are the wasps an early season variety? Or are purple jalas a later season than other varieties of jalas. Also,how is your chacoense doing? They either take forever to grow orine is stunted.

The Wasps are actually overwinters, but yeah, they really do seem to be super growers. They just want to grow and grow and grow and produce and produce and produce! I've never seen anything like it (but then again, this is only my third season of growing now).

The Purple Jalapeno? It's producing fairly quick too... it's just that I started it late. ;)

My Chacoes have been funny. Quick as sticks to begin with but then just stopped and haven't done anything at all lately (and I mean AT ALL). Thought at first that maybe they preferred cooler weather (seeing as I started them in Winter and they did well at first) but as it's been the coolest Summer here I can remember, and if you're having trouble with them too (and it's Winter over there), now I'm not so sure....

The Wasps are actually overwinters, but yeah, they really do seem to be super growers. They just want to grow and grow and grow and produce and produce and produce! I've never seen anything like it (but then again, this is only my third season of growing now).

The Purple Jalapeno? It's producing fairly quick too... it's just that I started it late. ;)

My Chacoes have been funny. Quick as sticks to begin with but then just stopped and haven't done anything at all lately (and I mean AT ALL). Thought at first that maybe they preferred cooler weather (seeing as I started them in Winter and they did well at first) but as it's been the coolest Summer here I can remember, and if you're having trouble with them too (and it's Winter over there), now I'm not so sure....

Hard to say with mine right now. I just started a couple to test out for when I start all my seedlings. The ones I have going now seemm to be slow. They arent getting my full attention though. Very small seedlings it seems.

Back