• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
I waited til all my seedlings were ready before transplanting, and then I waited til my holidays started so I could keep an eye on them. In hindsight some of them could have been transplanted 2 weeks ago, just wasn't prepared to risk damaging my choc bhut jolokia which was still on its first 2 leaves.
I waited until most of the Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion seedlings had 4 true leaves. The roots were more entangled than I would prefer. I have managed previously to only cause minor damage by carefully separating the seedlings.

I do wonder if seedling mix has enough stuff in it for a plant to develop, seems like it is designed to be light, and easy for roots to start and grow. It seems to dry out too fast imo. I really like the idea of starting in 10cm pots. I'm currently thinking if it is worth having a lower layer of good quality soil topped with seedling mix to start my plants.
The Debco Seed Raising Mix I use contains two months worth of slow release fertiliser. I'm growing all of my season starts in this mix bar the Brazilian Starfish and Goat's Weed plants. The more advanced plants in 3L and ~5L pods containing Debco Seed Raising Mix. There was enough nutrients in the mix for the plants up to when they needed transplanting from the 3 L pots.

The catch with using two layers of potting mix they may split when you perform a transplant. If you see evidence of a nutrient deficiency then you may be better off feeding the young plants with a weak solution of soluble fertiliser (say quarter of the recommended ratio).

The plants have performed well enough in the mix I mentioned that I'm considering using it in their ultimate pots. A couple of things that is holding me back at the moment is the fact that all my 25 cm / 8.5 L pots are black and space consideration.

I'm testing out Debco Propagation Mix on my over wintered plants to see if it's not as packed with Nitrogen as some of the other mixes. The Fatalii and Seven Not blooms have slowed down but without a control for the test I can't draw a conclusion just from that. There are some segments on the Fatalii plant that have increased internodes. I seem to be over the Nitrogen bump judging by the compactness of the new growth.

My issue with having 2 or more seedlings in a 10cm pot is that I need to at some point pull them apart, and I'm not real keen on snapping root systems in half. Part of the point for me having them start in a 10cm pot would be that I could transplant the whole unit into a bigger pot(30cm) without having to pull out the whole root system which would help keep the plant stable.
I prefer to keep the roots together where I can. My plants though seem to benefit from an intermediary pot size. Going from 0.5 L to 3 L to the final pot size is working for me. One of my goals was to fit most of the plants on a single shelf in three rows to allow for exposure to late winter and spring sunlight. If you have the space, the pots and the potting mix then I say go nuts with 10 cm pots.

I'm yet to use a soil that doesn't come with these gnats your talking about. My seedling mix had them too. I have a bottle of neem ready for my plants. I use something between 2.5ml and 3.5ml per 500ml of water for my older plants and I added about 1/4 of this mix to my seedling water spray which I have in an old aerogard bottle. It did the trick seems I only needed a small amount of neem to piss off the gnats (if that is what they were). Once I stopped using the neem they came back.
I haven't noticed any gnats in the Debco Seed Raising Mix after going through 5 bags of it. My first bag of seed raising mix was an Amgrow branded one that came with bonus spring-tails. Those critters didn't seem as bad as gnats though to the seedlings. There is sometimes an issue with how the shop you buy the bag stores them.

I have killed gnats before in pots immersing the pot in a weak solution of Malathon. The idea is to get the water level above the level of the soil. All of the little bastards will find their way to the surface and die. In the case of my Aji Amarillo in the gnat infested mix it seems some gnat predators have struck a balance finally.

I made an aquaponic/hydroponic unit yesterday. There are two spots for net pots and in there i placed a strawberry plant (for the missus) and a Purple Naga plant. The pump timer is set for 15 on 30 off with the air pump going 24/7.

No nutrients have been used in it as such except for worm jizz and the ph balanced at 6.5 . I only put the plants in yesterday but i swear the Naga has gotten bigger already, the strawberry plant seems to really suffer in the sun though, i have heard they are one of the more difficult ones for hydro. Any advice there anyone?

Really surprised to see the Naga going so well, i may have to make another couple of these units!

I waited until most of the Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion seedlings had 4 true leaves. The roots were more entangled than I would prefer. I have managed previously to only cause minor damage by carefully separating the seedlings.

The Debco Seed Raising Mix I use contains two months worth of slow release fertiliser. I'm growing all of my season starts in this mix bar the Brazilian Starfish and Goat's Weed plants. The more advanced plants in 3L and ~5L pods containing Debco Seed Raising Mix. There was enough nutrients in the mix for the plants up to when they needed transplanting from the 3 L pots.

The catch with using two layers of potting mix they may split when you perform a transplant. If you see evidence of a nutrient deficiency then you may be better off feeding the young plants with a weak solution of soluble fertiliser (say quarter of the recommended ratio).

The Seedling mix I used was Amgrow black label. This stuff maybe too lite to use in bigger pots, it almost has the consistency of sand, and it holds water about as well as sand. I think you would be right if I had a layer of Organix on the bottom and the seedling mix on top, I bet the seedling mix will fall apart the second I try to transplant.

The plants have performed well enough in the mix I mentioned that I'm considering using it in their ultimate pots. A couple of things that is holding me back at the moment is the fact that all my 25 cm / 8.5 L pots are black and space consideration.

Yeah Gas warned me the problem with black pots I've been buying different colour pots, but they do seem to cost more. I do wonder if it would be cheaper to buy black pots and spray some kind of reflective paint on them. Especially if your buying a large amount.

Yes I do mulch my plants. The pics of my seedlings were taken before I mulched them. From what I've been told black pots can get too hot and heat up the root system. Personally I have not had that issue yet, but given the weather it is no surprise. Yesterday it was really hot here in Sydney and I think we are in for another hot day today. Still the temp isn't even 30C, I'm still used to Winter weather lol.

Moved my seedlings into the morning sun, give them and hour so so then back into the shade they go.

Don't just take what other people have said, do an experiment and find out for yourself. Buy a few black pots, and grow the exact same plants with all other factors equal (soil composition, nutrients, watering schedule etc.) and see what happens.

Once you go black, you'll never go back ;)

Merry Christmas everyone!

I've experimented with black vs coloured pots before and guess what... the ones in coloured pots did better! :P (I don't know how you do it, MM, but after seeing some of your pics, your plants seem impervious to the harshness of the sun!)

That being said, I still do use black pots due to the price factor. You can still make it work (mulching, some kind of shade rig up or finding a nice semi-shaded location, etc) but it just takes extra effort is all.

Certainly experiment for yourself though, Jayman. When giving advice, I sometimes forget what works for one may not work for another... ;)

I got gifted a lot of my black pots, so that certainly contributed to the decision to use them.

I start the seedlings off indoors until they are either an acceptable height and or root mass is poking out, then stick them outdoors in a mini greenhouse that gets partial sun for at least a week, preferably 2. Then they go into their final position, and they suck it up whether they like it or not.

Certainly when I got home for work on Friday I could see the tops of the Asian Birdseye were looking sorry for themselves, wilting over slightly. But I don't do anything to them, wake up the next morning and they are all stretching out for the sun like baby birds waiting for their morning feed.

Still in my first ever season and yet to get any really hot weather and I do have some black and colored pots. I have a Choc hab in a black pot and a yellow hab in a colored pot which are about the same size (30cm) and from what I've seen so far the black pot does heat up easier. I'm not really growing all that many plants really, only about 20 plants atm so I can afford to lash out on colored pots.

The issue I have with black pots is the lower yields from the plants. Direct sunlight combined with hot weather has resulted in pots that are on the boundary of too hot to handle without gloves. An overheated root ball doesn't help me when I'm trying to boost the yield of plants above numbers you can count on your fingers.

Some workarounds that come to mind:
  1. Place them in early morning sunlight only if you're lucky to have such a spot
  2. Wrap the outside with a cover that reflects more light
  3. Paint the pots a lighter colour
I use the first work around for a limited set of plants. Less sunlight has slowed down the bloom of some of the plants.

The third workaround has the issue of the paint costing more than just buying a stack of new light coloured pots. I did find a supply of relatively cheap light coloured 30 cm pots for $3.50 each including saucers. These are the pots I use for the Capsicum Pubescens varieties.

I did find a supply of relatively cheap light coloured 30 cm pots for $3.50 each including saucers. These are the pots I use for the Capsicum Pubescens varieties.

Thats a damn good price compared to what I've seen, best I have gotten in about $6 each and thats without saucers. Hell I would say most places will sell you black pots at $3.50 each.

Direct sunlight combined with hot weather has resulted in pots that are on the boundary of too hot to handle without gloves.

It's like touching hot bitumen! Couldn't figure out why all my plants went all yellow and started dying on me last season until I touched the pots. No wonder... living in those conditions, I would've cracked the shits and began to die too!

Thats a damn good price compared to what I've seen, best I have gotten in about $6 each and thats without saucers. Hell I would say most places will sell you black pots at $3.50 each.

Aye!

Do you buy them in bulk or something, harry?

I'd bet you're a victim of a certain chain that claims to have low prices.

Do you buy them in bulk or something, harry?

I found the 30 cm green and light orange (labelled terracotta colour) pots with saucers at The Reject Shop. The plastic isn't as durable as some of the other pots here but that's a compromise I can handle.

I'm dreading a phone call from my parents shortly, they are heading to my place soon to check out if there's been any damage from the Melbourne storms.

I'm fearing that the golf ball sized hail may have smashed a few of my plants to bits :(

I've been told that there is significant damage in the gaden beds and pots.

Dad is taking some pics tomorrow to send me. I think he said the Asian Birdseyes are ok, which I expect to anyway given they have a smaller leaf than the Chinense, but I'm guessing my TS Butch T's have been ripped to shreds :(

I've been told that there is significant damage in the gaden beds and pots.

Dad is taking some pics tomorrow to send me. I think he said the Asian Birdseyes are ok, which I expect to anyway given they have a smaller leaf than the Chinense, but I'm guessing my TS Butch T's have been ripped to shreds :(
Sorry to hear that Milkman, hope your plants aren't too badly damaged and survive.

Back