• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Any ideas on where I can source good quality pure (ie not mixed with other ferts etc) neem cake/ neem granules here in Australia (other then Nutri-neem which is only available in bulk lots it would seem). I can get it in NZ and get it sent over however that is a pain in the proverbial, especially of I can get it here somewhere. Can't find any places so far.

Cheers nova. Yeah I have the eco-neem from bunnings is expensive but only 10mls per 5 liters water so it is OK for a hobby grow like mine.
However I am after neem cake or neem granules as a fert/ soil amendment. It is in my organic link fertiliser but I want a pure source of it to add to my soil.

My red Seven Pot is shaping up to be a yellow Seven Not. I noticed the first pod began to ripen to bright yellow today.

I have sowed another Limo Blanco seed that sprouted today (16 days to sprout). With my luck the first one will turn out to be a bell Capsicum Annuum.

Here we go, harry, is this what you were looking for?

IMG_4636.jpg
My first Chocolate Bhut pod has begun to develop ribbing like your pods. It's a lighter shade of green than your pods.

Cheers nova. Yeah I have the eco-neem from bunnings is expensive but only 10mls per 5 liters water so it is OK for a hobby grow like mine.
However I am after neem cake or neem granules as a fert/ soil amendment. It is in my organic link fertiliser but I want a pure source of it to add to my soil.
Cool i don't know anything about using it in your soil, if ya find it let me know sounds good.

I just ate the first runt of a Datil pod. The tiny pod failed to develop any seeds but was packing a lot of heat in such a small package. I didn't detect any of the bitterness like that which spoiled the taste of the Fatalii runt.

I have posted a free seed offer open to Australia only for now. First in first served.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/27018-free-seeds/page__view__findpost__p__539897

Thanks for the offer Megamoo, just sent you a PM. ;)

Just finished up what could only be called a horror week of work, and now I'm on Holidays. :clap: :drunk: :cool: :beer: :dance:

The Company I work for is so tight their Xmas party is a bbq lunch and they buy the cheapest crap they can get their hands on. I was cooking the bbq. I had to contain myself from telling them where to stick their bbq. What kind of moron thinks 2 onions is enough for 20 ppl, and what is the point of buying chicken kebabs of different flavours but only buying 5 of enough. :crazy: The Snags were 95% fat, and almoat set myself on fire cooking the damn things. Sorry had to vent, now I can get on with my Holidays.

On a good note my chillies are now ripening red, and even better I have my first Zimbabwe birds eye pods growing. Going to re-pot my seedlings tomorrow into 10cm pots.

Well, this sucks....

IMG_6692.jpg

IMG_6694.jpg

IMG_6695.jpg

IMG_6696.jpg

IMG_6700.jpg

IMG_6702.jpg

Approx. 80% of my plants are under attack by broad mite. Ho Ho :censored: Hoes.

Dropped a Rogor bomb on their asses, but seriously, ready to throw in the towel.

I don't know how anyone grows trinidad scorpions BT.
They have been an absolute bitch for me. The least hardy plant I have, other ones seem tougher and can deal with stuff better it seems to me.

my experience in growong them this year is while germination good, seedlings are weak. 2 seedlings dropped dead for me, another one 'hooked' grew out of the soil, never straightened up, just died in that position.

Of the two seedlings I had that grew true leaves (one in the ground, one in a pot), the one in the ground died today, even though everything else in the ground is healthy. the one in a poit is doing badly compared to everything else in a pot, and gets stuffed up more with any direct sun.

Weak arsed plants IMHO.

dead TS from the ground, withered away just below the first leaves on the stem.
8MCni.jpg

Crappy one in a pot, leaves wither in the sun, doesn't like my aphid treatment. It's the only one I have left :(
uTkiV.jpg

Yeah, Pablo, I know what you mean. I always have a bit of trouble growing TS myself... it's so touchy!

Just finished up what could only be called a horror week of work, and now I'm on Holidays. :clap: :drunk: :cool: :beer: :dance:

Ya bastard... I still got a 10 hour shift ahead of me today before my week of hell is over. And even then I'm only lucky enough to get two stinkin' days off. :snooty:

Rip it up, brother! :cheers:

Hi everyone

Just wanted to stop in say Merry Christmas to you all. Looks like a few of you are having problems again, I hope it sorts itself out for the new year!

I don't have time to upload any photos on photobucket and then here but have posted a few to my Facebook page if you want to have a look. Some of the plants at the nursery, pic of my isolation tents, white 7 Pod, Douglah, Nagas and Bhuts and my Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion in the BATO hydro system (they are going off). Will put more up over the next few weeks also and will go to the farm in about a month and take some photos of my crop there.

So anyway have a great xmas and new years and I hope you get lots of chilli for christmas! Cheers

Just replanted my seedlings into 10cm pots. Used a different potting mix this time. Amgrow Oraganix Vegie potting mix. Has some ferts in it and some coir too.

I have 3 trinidad scorpions butch T's which so far have been the best growers as seedlings except for the annuum asian birds eyes. Crossing my fingers and hope that somehow I will avoid the issues that Pablo and Gas have had with these plants. Amazing how different the root systems can be from plant to plant. One of the Aji Lemons roots were twice the length of the other. Some of the seedlings were really fragile I'm lucky that seedling mix is so lite, I still had to be real careful not to damage them.

24122011297.jpg

24122011303.jpg

Finally something red :fireball:
20122011286.jpg

22122011293.jpg

Zimbabwe birdseye
22122011290.jpg

Summer has hit here. 37 °C outside means impending flower drop all round.

My supposed Trinidad Scorpion plants recovered from starting in a bad mix. They're not tolerant of bad potting mix.

The third out of 3 has finally has some tentative fruits. I won't be holding my breath for this plant to produce pods with stingers. I have my suspicions that these plants are not Trinidad Scorpions regardless of producing outrageously hot pods.

Just replanted my seedlings into 10cm pots. Used a different potting mix this time. Amgrow Oraganix Vegie potting mix. Has some ferts in it and some coir too.

I have 3 trinidad scorpions butch T's which so far have been the best growers as seedlings except for the annuum asian birds eyes. Crossing my fingers and hope that somehow I will avoid the issues that Pablo and Gas have had with these plants. Amazing how different the root systems can be from plant to plant. One of the Aji Lemons roots were twice the length of the other. Some of the seedlings were really fragile I'm lucky that seedling mix is so lite, I still had to be real careful not to damage them.

24122011297.jpg
I start my seedlings in 10 cm pots to avoid needing to transplant them when they're very small. I went for 2 seeds per pot to save on space and potting mix. I won't need to save on potting mix in the future as I found a good supply of seed raising mix.

I did though have 4 Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion seedlings and 4 Scotch Bonnet TFM seedlings in 10 cm pots. Some of them lost some of their roots during the transplant.

I've never come across Amgrow Organix Tomato and Vegetable Mix. Their original Organix mix seems okay barring the first ever bag I tried. I'm going to guess there isn't an NPK analysis on the back of the bag?

I bought an Osmocote Plus Organics bag that should be named Osmocate Plus Fungus Gnats. I noticed the Ají Amarillo plant that I used as the guinea pig was wilting at lot. I found the reason when I opened the bag a second time time last month to find the most flying gnats I've ever seen in one place. My Debco Seed Raising Mix and Debco Propagation MIx bags stored in the same place are fine so I dumped this bag outside the shed.

I start my seedlings in 10 cm pots to avoid needing to transplant them when they're very small. I went for 2 seeds per pot to save on space and potting mix. I won't need to save on potting mix in the future as I found a good supply of seed raising mix.

I did though have 4 Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion seedlings and 4 Scotch Bonnet TFM seedlings in 10 cm pots. Some of them lost some of their roots during the transplant.

I've never come across Amgrow Organix Tomato and Vegetable Mix. Their original Organix mix seems okay barring the first ever bag I tried. I'm going to guess there isn't an NPK analysis on the back of the bag?

I bought an Osmocote Plus Organics bag that should be named Osmocate Plus Fungus Gnats. I noticed the Ají Amarillo plant that I used as the guinea pig was wilting at lot. I found the reason when I opened the bag a second time time last month to find the most flying gnats I've ever seen in one place. My Debco Seed Raising Mix and Debco Propagation MIx bags stored in the same place are fine so I dumped this bag outside the shed.

I waited til all my seedlings were ready before transplanting, and then I waited til my holidays started so I could keep an eye on them. In hindsight some of them could have been transplanted 2 weeks ago, just wasn't prepared to risk damaging my choc bhut jolokia which was still on its first 2 leaves. I do wonder if seedling mix has enough stuff in it for a plant to develop, seems like it is designed to be light, and easy for roots to start and grow. It seems to dry out too fast imo. I really like the idea of starting in 10cm pots. I'm currently thinking if it is worth having a lower layer of good quality soil topped with seedling mix to start my plants.

My issue with having 2 or more seedlings in a 10cm pot is that I need to at some point pull them apart, and I'm not real keen on snapping root systems in half. Part of the point for me having them start in a 10cm pot would be that I could transplant the whole unit into a bigger pot(30cm) without having to pull out the whole root system which would help keep the plant stable.

I'm yet to use a soil that doesn't come with these gnats your talking about. My seedling mix had them too. I have a bottle of neem ready for my plants. I use something between 2.5ml and 3.5ml per 500ml of water for my older plants and I added about 1/4 of this mix to my seedling water spray which I have in an old aerogard bottle. It did the trick seems I only needed a small amount of neem to piss off the gnats (if that is what they were). Once I stopped using the neem they came back.

Vodka fun times! :woohoo: :party: :party: :party:

Woohoo Gas, drinking some Jonnie Walker double black myself. :drunk: Merry Xmas mate.

edit: Im really good at mis-spelling words that can really transform what I really mean lol, like saying like do and don't. :rofl:

I've just arrived in Adelaide after the trek from Melbourne. God damn it was hot in SA today...

All my plants are in my Dad's hands for the next 5 days, surely he couldn't kill them in that time?

I've just arrived in Adelaide after the trek from Melbourne. God damn it was hot in SA today...

All my plants are in my Dad's hands for the next 5 days, surely he couldn't kill them in that time?

So long as he doesn't over water them you should be all good.

Back