• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
http://www.bugsforbugs.com.au/product/lacewings-general-predators

http://www.bugsforbugs.com.au/product/montdorensis-predatory-mite

Might be a good combo to give a go. Seems to cover most bases and will cost ~$60 bucks.

I am thinking of bringing 100-200 lacewings into my plants in the new year (approx $10-20 bucks or there abouts)

I think I have a mite problem (could be whitefly/scale/mites/mealy bug or all of the above as all have been present in some form or another toughest part is identifying a good mite from a bad one) as well but I am persisting with my weekly neem/seaweed attacks to see if I can control them enough to let the good bugs/mites and plant immunity to come through.

I am really wanting some neem cake as well to help see if I can boost the immunity of my plants .... no joy in aussie yet although Parker Neem in india got back to me and informed me that a place call "Plantneeds" in little Collins street in Melbourne is their distributor in Australia so I have contacted them but so far no reply.

IMG_5136.jpg

They started off fairly smooth and eventualy developed more of the bumpy surface:

IMG_5131.jpg

I noticed all of my immature Chocolate Bhut pods are light green.
2PBVo.jpg

Chocolate Bhut

Were the pods a lighter green than that reflected in the photo?

I haven't come across mention of what colour Chocolate Bhut pods should be in the forums here despite searching. I hope this doesn't mean I'll have another plant to add to the [/Not/] list soon.

Damnnn for some reason I'm not receiving any updates from this and a few other threads....pissing me off

@Gas, hey mate when I have a real prob with an insect infestation I bring out the big gun when all else fails "confidor"
the sulfur works great but it can knock the shit out of the plants

@ mega I ban you from going down to your garden every 2 mins, give them a good water and come back next week

and now.......

nah nah nah nah nah

BY_mainmiddlebeds2.jpg

http://www.bugsforbu...neral-predators

http://www.bugsforbu...-predatory-mite

Might be a good combo to give a go. Seems to cover most bases and will cost ~$60 bucks.

I am thinking of bringing 100-200 lacewings into my plants in the new year (approx $10-20 bucks or there abouts)

I think I have a mite problem (could be whitefly/scale/mites/mealy bug or all of the above as all have been present in some form or another toughest part is identifying a good mite from a bad one) as well but I am persisting with my weekly neem/seaweed attacks to see if I can control them enough to let the good bugs/mites and plant immunity to come through.

I am really wanting some neem cake as well to help see if I can boost the immunity of my plants .... no joy in aussie yet although Parker Neem in india got back to me and informed me that a place call "Plantneeds" in little Collins street in Melbourne is their distributor in Australia so I have contacted them but so far no reply.
Thanks for the links too trippa.
About 3 weeks ago I had a huge aphid infestation, I'm talking about even the tops of the leaves were covered as well as the bottom. I had to nuke the bastards, and my plants suffered heaps due to previous sunburn, the aphids and the treatment I used. I've always seen lacewings and ladybugs around, but they haven't ever been interested in my chilli plants.
Even now there's one or two aphids on most plants everyday I find, and I just squish them. Seems the infestation has brought the interest of the ladybugs and lacewings though. Noticed a juvenile labybug today on a plant, and thanks to you link I recognized some lacewing eggs which are hanging by thin stems. Never would have recognized it before.

Damnnn for some reason I'm not receiving any updates from this and a few other threads....pissing me off
I had to enable the Notification List against Notification method to use for replies to followed topics under Notification Preferences to work around the issue of not getting Email notifications. The same work around is worth a try for any other preferences that are no longer notifying you via Email. The downside is you need to remember to clear the Notification List otherwise you may not receive any further notifications via Email for something you have read.

@Gas, hey mate when I have a real prob with an insect infestation I bring out the big gun when all else fails "confidor"
The articles I read while researching mite control suggest any pesticide should be used in a rotation. I'm glad I haven't come across broad mites.

@ mega I ban you from going down to your garden every 2 mins, give them a good water and come back next week

and now.......

nah nah nah nah nah

BY_mainmiddlebeds2.jpg
Looking good.

I noticed all of my immature Chocolate Bhut pods are light green.

Were the pods a lighter green than that reflected in the photo?

:think:

I actually remember them being quite dark (like in the photo) but a newly forming pod on the same plant speaks otherwise:

(Can't for the life of me remember which is the Choc Bhut but one of them is....)

IMG_6721.jpg

IMG_6720.jpg

IMG_6719.jpg

I'm guessing they must have started off light green and eventually turned darker. I'll monitor the progress and keep you informed.

The big gun is Confidor? Then what the hell was I using Rogor for?? :P

Nah, seriously have considered trying it but as it doesn't specifically mention control against mite I've yet to do so.

Although, just having a look on the webs now and the claim "Systemic insecticide which targets sucking insects" *is* made, so I dunno. I guess at this point in time, what have I got to lose?

Have you used it against any kind of mite before? And if so, was it effective?

Aye, tell me about it! I'm just so desperate right now though that my mind is set on kill mites first, then think about plants.

and thanks to you link I recognized some lacewing eggs which are hanging by thin stems. Never would have recognized it before.

Me too! :lol:

Mostly I find them hanging on my lime tree but never had a clue what they were.

The articles I read while researching mite control suggest any pesticide should be used in a rotation. I'm glad I haven't come across broad mites.

True. Perhaps now that my plants have had their sulfuring, next up it's time to test Confidor.

Alright, time for some good news. My Aji Amarillo x Yellow Trinidad Scorp F1's are really powering along...

IMG_6747.jpg

And the crazy thing is, out of all of this years starts, they are the only ones not to be under attack by broad mite.

Found this growing in my "chilli graveyard" today (back corner of the yard where I dumped plants last season that were dead or just about):

IMG_6740.jpg

Apparently three plants down there weren't ready to die, sprung back to life at some stage and are now producing. Can't remember what this particular one was *supposed* to be but I definitely never had any hab looking thing growing.

Oh yeah, and harry, my baby Choc Bhuts are definitely a light green at this stage so I wouldn't worry just yet. ;)

IMG_6744.jpg

Yeah, sometimes plants refuse to die.
I've got a plant that doesn't look impressive for it being almost 6 months old.
It was the first seed I planted, from an opened 3 year old pack of seeds that's been sitting in a cupboard.
I planted in in crap potting mix, didn't know what I was doing at the time, I had no light and it was cold as it was June/July.
It grew extra leggy, took ages to straighten up the stem even. Looked poorly and yellowed out.
I repotted it and the weather got a little warmer, so the plant started to look good again, but then it got drenched in rain for weeks, again and again, and stunted and yellowed again. Still refused to die.
Then I repotted it, but not in the best soil, I was ignoring it and not trying to help it much, as I had chinense and superhots to fuss over.
Then an animal or the wind snapped it in two.
But it quickly started forming buds lower down shortly after, because it wants to live despite my 'help'
Here's a pathetic old amarillo that wishes someone else bought it's seed. The first seed I planted this year. Named him mr J back on page 30 something LOL, it's had a hard life and refuses to die. That said, plenty of others drop dead for me even when I've done nothing wrong, especially butch Ts.
SY7Gj.jpg

Do people here think it's too late the start up some seeds now. Some of my seeds haven't germinated and i was thinking of redoing them. It's been 27 days since i've planted these.

Do people here think it's too late the start up some seeds now. Some of my seeds haven't germinated and i was thinking of redoing them. It's been 27 days since i've planted these.
Which varieties didn't germinate?

The answer depends on how fast the varieties mature and whether you are prepared to over winter some of the plants.

The ones that didn't are:

Choc bhut
purple tiger
primo 7 pot
BIH jolokia
Black pearl
trinidad yellow bonnets
martinique

All my other seeds have germinated with about 90% germination rate. Seeds were given by other members of the forum.

Maybe the black pearl....
all the others are a bit too late,
but you could start them and over winter them for a head start next season?????

I'll just leave them as is but maybe start with a fresh lot. Let see how i go with this lot. If not i am out of seeds then.

Like JR said, you could always start 'em now and overwinter them. Dunno what it's like down there in Sydney but up here in Brissy we can pretty much grow all year round. Don't normally see pods in Autumn/Winter but plants will survive no worries. I say go ahead and you never know... if you see pods this season, awesome, if not, head start for next season (also awesome). ;)

I am still starting a few seeds with a view to over winter the ones that show some good vigour and the definate keeper varieties for next season plus hopefully with a nice long warm autumn I might see a pod or 2 this side of winter.

I am also searching for a few variaties that are known to set fruits all year round to keep my fresh chilli supply going through the few months of limited supply here.

Like JR said, you could always start 'em now and overwinter them. Dunno what it's like down there in Sydney but up here in Brissy we can pretty much grow all year round. Don't normally see pods in Autumn/Winter but plants will survive no worries. I say go ahead and you never know... if you see pods this season, awesome, if not, head start for next season (also awesome). ;)

You guys don't get any frost or snow? What are your winter low temps. Happy New Years also.

Back