• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Dude that sucks.
Do you want a Bonda Ma Jacques? I've got one spare about 40cm tall in a bucket. I would offer more, but I haven't had the best first season either, and that's the only plant I have more than one off.
You know where I live, and you could grab that kmart brand a/c as well...

I vote for outsourcing the Bonda Ma Jacques to megamoo's uncle.

I was going to take some pictures of the sick ones but its not a pretty sight cos I've stopped watering them. :P

Do you still have plants in the potting mix that held water for several weeks?

I vote for outsourcing the Bonda Ma Jacques to megamoo's uncle.
:rofl:
I may have a spare choc bhut or choc scorp, or PRF yellow 7 pot too, I'm not too sure, the doubles of them might be still small pots or seedlings still...

Candice I think his problem was i) poor potting mix with no perlite or anything for drainage, so left them susceptible to disease; ii) no where to harden them off, as in no shaded areas.

edit: Confirming the spare choc scorp and choc bhut, (but no spare 7 pots). The chocs are also in 9L buckets, but slower growing, haven't even forked yet, must have been harder hit by the aphids. Maybe your uncle can work his magic on them for you, and you just get the pods off him ;)

Thanks for the offer pablo but until I move I will be doing nothing but discarding plants. I have so much stuff to pack down and move, not looking forward to it. And since I'm sure the problem is some sort of disease or pest I couldn't keep it isolated.

Yeah Candice I was hardening them off using a plastic box to keep them warm at night and it was working. They started to get quite big . Also when potting up to the larger buckets, (after I had solved the draining and overwatering problem) they grew on for a bit.. but then with the warmer weather they stalled and have now gone down.

Every chilli plant in my garden looks like its just surviving, and isn't ever thriving. So it seems that only one hit from the weather, or disease, or me giving them bad nutes is the straw that breaks their back.

I'm suspicious of the conditions here because I had plants successfully overwinter completely exposed with zero attention and as summer has warmed up so have the problems.

Oh and my uncles method of growing is to just chuck it in regular potting mix and water it every other day. Hes recentlly had a quintuple bypass so maybe I shouldn't have given him the hottest chilli in the world ;) I'm getting him to save the seeds from the butch t so I will have some pure seed to replenish my stock.

With hardening off I meant more to the sun than night time conditions. Did you move it outside to the shade and then slowly increase sun each day until you could put them in sun all morning until lunch time?
How much sun are they getting and what times of the day? Are you gradually increasing pot size or going straight from seedling to bucket?
Sorry if these are very obvious but sometimes you can miss something simple

Do you know what plant is shown in the first photo?
Yup i figured that out. It is my Siberian Sweet Pepper!

2012-01-13181427.jpg

Micca I like your Bato system. Did you ask them to set it up lengthwise rather than square? Mine are going awesome after almost loosing them once but all better now. Only thing is the choc scorpion pods seem a bit long rather than round so have a feeling they may not be true which p****s me off since they are at another locationw hich I have to keep visiting each week and setup a special isolation tent etc for it :doh:

Cheers Candice.
I grabbed the bits and pieces myself and built it. It was based on that drawing I showed you a while back.
the pvc pipe has a removable cap so it can be extended around the shadehouse, so If all goes well i'll put a few more on next season.

I'm glad the Scorps pulled through but a bummer they are not turning out right. I have finally got 1 flower on one but mine were from JR so open pollenated, will have to see how it goes.

Micca

Can someone explain the logic behind this. I have a 3 tier greenhouse. The top shelf is considerably warmer then the bottom shelf. I have moved my jiffy pellets to the top shelf and seeing a lot more germination.

Cheers Candice.
I grabbed the bits and pieces myself and built it. It was based on that drawing I showed you a while back.
the pvc pipe has a removable cap so it can be extended around the shadehouse, so If all goes well i'll put a few more on next season.

I'm glad the Scorps pulled through but a bummer they are not turning out right. I have finally got 1 flower on one but mine were from JR so open pollenated, will have to see how it goes.

Micca

Ahh ok I forgot the pic, how much did your design cost out of interest? Mine was cut to my size requirements but still in their standard square shape

Can someone explain the logic behind this. I have a 3 tier greenhouse. The top shelf is considerably warmer then the bottom shelf. I have moved my jiffy pellets to the top shelf and seeing a lot more germination.

Hot air rises, chillies prefer warmer temps 26-30 degrees for faster and better germination

damn nova you beat me to it :clap:

WHen you say top shelf are you referring to the white one? I have what appears to be the same mini greenhouse except it came with 3 shelves. I don't use the one near the apex.

No not the white shelf. I don't use that one. I though i might have been able to but when i put the plastic on it got blocked so i just left it there. I mean the shelf underneath that.

Ahh ok I forgot the pic, how much did your design cost out of interest? Mine was cut to my size requirements but still in their standard square shape

The Bits cost about 200 bucks but I got a bigger pump than was in their system and got extra pvc pipe and 13mm tubing to extend it later.
The bench seat I already had which I think cost me about 30 bucks.

Micca

From memory (a very bad one) yes it is rather hairless.

My Galapagapagoense is rather hairless too except for the stem (like your pube). Maybe hairy plants don't feel the need to be hairy up our way?

Well my season is looking to be a write off!

That sux big hairy dogs balls mega!

What Nova said.

Hope a better growing environment comes with the move.

(Hey, that's an idea... move away from the broad mites. :think:)

Thems some big ass leaves, Micca!

2012-01-18201658.jpg

Guess what plant..

Scorpio?

Correctomundo. When i planted it there it came out of a roughly 100 litre container. I got maggot and decided to plant it into the ground that i had been working on for about five months. Adding fookin everything to it.

When i removed el scorpio from his majesties container i frickin broke off more than two thirds of the root ball!
Into the hot compost he ventured and i must admit i did water him three times. Now he is pissed off, half a very small pod kicked me tonight, it wasn't even fully ripe. :flamethrower:

First Doogie! :dance:

IMG_6848.jpg

Trinidad Scorpio (not ButchT):

IMG_6856.jpg

CGN 21500:

IMG_6849.jpg

Datil x Limon:

IMG_6871.jpg

Bihs!

IMG_6865.jpg

C. chacoense:

IMG_6878.jpg

IMG_6879.jpg

IMG_6875.jpg

Correctomundo. When i planted it there it came out of a roughly 100 litre container. I got maggot and decided to plant it into the ground that i had been working on for about five months. Adding fookin everything to it.

When i removed el scorpio from his majesties container i frickin broke off more than two thirds of the root ball!
Into the hot compost he ventured and i must admit i did water him three times. Now he is pissed off, half a very small pod kicked me tonight, it wasn't even fully ripe. :flamethrower:

Vengeance is Scorpio's! :hell:

Great updates everyone .... micca those leaves are large in the margin ...
Nice work ....
Gas I am beginning to think you enjoy showing off ;) they are all looking great and I am assuming the. Majority of your broadmite issues are behind you now??
I am gonna get myself some bihs and Tabasco seeds for next season I have decided. I am thinking with the limited room I have that I need only the very best producing/tasting/heat variety's with a few exotic ones thrown in for good measure.
I had envisaged great amounts of frozen pods for winter and fresh pods to give away. So far I have eaten all my produce which has averaged 5-6 pods a day since start December.
Ah well need to find a good spot of my own to grow large amounts to :)

Gas I am beginning to think you enjoy showing off ;)

Guilty. :oops:

I dunno, when things are going wrong, it boosts my spirits when I have something to show off.... (at least, that's the excuse I'm sticking with. :lol:)

they are all looking great and I am assuming the. Majority of your broadmite issues are behind you now??

Sadly, on the contrary (hence the showing off ;)).

I just noticed yesterday the problem has started flaring again. :(

I seriously have to get on to the whole predator thing. I was talking to a bloke from Biological Services and while they have a predator that attacks broad mite, he suggests I get another predator from Bugs For Bugs which will be more suited to the climate/environment here. Should probably get on to contacting them this week....

I tell ya too, worm jizz and seaweed is really making a noticeable difference. While the mites are causing some serious damage this season, most of my plants are still pushing through. Seriously to the point where I don't even want to think how well they might be doing sans broad mite 'cause it would probably make me cry.

I am thinking with the limited room I have that I need only the very best producing/tasting/heat variety's with a few exotic ones thrown in for good measure.

Totally. Something I definitely have to consider too! Although, my reason being for more control over broad mite. The more plants, the more work, the harder to control. :(

I'm thinking something along the lines of 20-30 plants max. If on the other hand, the use of predators proves successful, I might stretch that to 50. Any more than that is just too much time, work and money ATM anyway... broad mite or no broad mite!

Back