• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Well my seedlings are always rubbish, don't know how you can get them so good.
As far as pot size, most are in 9L buckets, a couple I just potted up in slightly smaller pots, because I always need to desperately pot up, they are often terrible in smaller seedling pots/mix, so I had to pot them in something to get them going.
As far as final pot size, can;t go any bigger than 9-15L, I have to move soon too, which is why only the hybrids are in the ground, I'm happy to leave them. Otherwise I'd be tearing the grass up. Wouldn;t be as good as Grant's setup, but that's what I'd be attempting if I was staying here.

Frickin lush Mega!
Nice forest you have there Grant.

Mega those plants look really healthy.
Lush as, moo!

Bet that's a sight for sore eyes looking at them babies after your other lot.... ;)
They do look good :D I only hope I can take them as far as Grant has taken his!

Gas you're right there. I will have to take a pic of the devastation out the back and post it. Ugly but needs to be seen.

thats a nice CFL setup you got there megamoo. Looks like about 12x18watt bulbs if not can you explain how you figure out how much light you need for a given area. Also how do you run the light cycles...18/6, 20/4, 24/0 etc. Its my first time growing so want to know how long to run lights on for thnx.

thats a nice CFL setup you got there megamoo. Looks like about 12x18watt bulbs if not can you explain how you figure out how much light you need for a given area. Also how do you run the light cycles...18/6, 20/4, 24/0 etc. Its my first time growing so want to know how long to run lights on for thnx.

It's 12 globes
6x 11W
5x 18W
1x 28W
They are all 6500k cool daylight I seem to remember. The 28W does appear to be slightly redder to the naked eye tho. I try not to look directly at the array when its on :P

I didn't calculate how much light they needed I just winged it. I used another 11W in place of the 28W when they were young but they didn't seem to mind either way. Using sockets like this I can just remove any globes if they show signs of too much light but they seem to like it.
I have a simple timer that goes on 8 am and off midnight, but I turn it off for an hour or so during the day and leave it on for longer sometimes, based on the temperature or how they are looking but that is roughly how much they get. I have a pedestal fan aimed at them to cool and circulate air. It's on an identical set timer but I can leave it on with the lights off and cool them down if they get too hot. The temp fluctuates between 32 on a hot day to 22 on a cool night.

They are starting to need water more often and are about to hit the lights so Ive got to move the light shelf up higher.

Talking about temperatures look at this!
weather.jpg

Whoaaaa Mega, you got some hot days coming.......
usually when it gets that hot here we have the hot dry northerly winds as well......goodluck
your gunna need to flood your plants with that heat

Whoaaaa Mega, you got some hot days coming.......
usually when it gets that hot here we have the hot dry northerly winds as well......goodluck
your gunna need to flood your plants with that heat

Watering the plants multiple times in the day works better for me on extremely hot days rather than flooding them.

I think we are going to melt over here!!! It would be nice to water all through the day but being at work sux the big one!
We had something like this last season and lost all my tomatoes and had lots of fruit drop on the Chilli's.

Hey Grant that back garden is going wicked bro. Nice work indeed!

Megamoo your little babies are looking darn fine there too. Hope you have got some sort of pool or a cold shower to cool down because it is going to be stinkin hot.

Micca

Or what about the rocket pod from them?
yDaQi.png

They do work really good. Just had alot of trouble when I put them outside because they dry out quicker and then it was hard to water them with the water coming out the holes towards the top. I think they should be in a flood/drain system outside. The ones I potted up have been doing really well.

Micca

Damn that's some hot weather over there in WA. One of my plants was getting too much sun, and it was only low 30's. I watered it at night and the next day it looked worse. It had ants all over it, so I moved the plant into a shaded spot and gave the ants some neem.
23012012377.jpg

Next day the plant looked fine.
25012012379.jpg

Choc Habanero
25012012382.jpg

Orange hab is looking awesome, I'm shocked that it is my best Habanero plant atm.
25012012390.jpg

Have an issue with my Yellow Habanero, not sure if it is just over watered. Lucky I moved it last night because we have had plenty of rain today. I really need to re-pot it. Saddly Bunnings didn't have pots/buckets available at a good price. They wanted $17 each for 20 litre buckets. They had also sold out of the only thing I would have liked, 60cm pots @$6.50 each. Then I realized I have to do the rego on my car.......... $600+ later decided not to go looking for pots lol.

25012012383.jpg

Your choc hab looks like a "hot chocolate" to me, the pods are elongated, could even be jamaican hot choc.
Either way your plants look like they are doing ok. Unless i am messing pics up there is no way that is an orange hab, no way o habs taper down to the tail unless are a cross.

Neem won't work on ants but ant rid will. God i sound like an asshole, sorry mate just what i am seeing! :high:

Your choc hab looks like a "hot chocolate" to me, the pods are elongated, could even be jamaican hot choc.
Either way your plants look like they are doing ok. Unless i am messing pics up there is no way that is an orange hab, no way o habs taper down to the tail unless are a cross.

Neem won't work on ants but ant rid will. God i sound like an asshole, sorry mate just what i am seeing! :high:

Their Nursery jobs so can't be surprised, I know it is hard to tell before they ripen so I will worry about it then. Will be using more reliable sources next year ;) . Don't worry about offending me, I'm pretty hard to offen lol. :cool: Actually these damn ants are doing a better of upsetting me, they wont touch ant rid, ended mixing some ant rid with honey it try get them to take the bait. I'm going to buy some Borax and mix up my own poison.

Anyway, not working tomorrow, time to get pissed. :beer:

Might be a Long Chock Hab? They get some pretty weird shapes on those ones.

Jayman good to see it bounced back.

Micca

Yes it could be but the two pods don't seem consistent. ;)
Time for another beam and a new thread me thinks boys!

Damn that's some hot weather over there in WA. One of my plants was getting too much sun, and it was only low 30's. I watered it at night and the next day it looked worse. It had ants all over it, so I moved the plant into a shaded spot and gave the ants some neem.
23012012377.jpg

Next day the plant looked fine.
25012012379.jpg

Did you find aphids on the plant?

Choc Habanero
25012012382.jpg

Is this a photo of the pods on the plant shown above that was wilted?

Orange hab is looking awesome, I'm shocked that it is my best Habanero plant atm.
25012012390.jpg

Have an issue with my Yellow Habanero, not sure if it is just over watered. Lucky I moved it last night because we have had plenty of rain today. I really need to re-pot it. Saddly Bunnings didn't have pots/buckets available at a good price. They wanted $17 each for 20 litre buckets. They had also sold out of the only thing I would have liked, 60cm pots @$6.50 each. Then I realized I have to do the rego on my car.......... $600+ later decided not to go looking for pots lol.

25012012383.jpg

Is the Yellow Habanero in the same potting mix as the rest of the plants? Have you considered foliar feeding it with something like CalMagNit and gauging the response?

The photo on the United Nurseries Habanero Brown tag is a match (flipped acorss the Y-axis) to that of Reimer Seeds Chocolate Strain 7. The pods on that plant at least seem to appear to be elongated and ribbed like those on the tag. I ditched a plant produced red pods last season.

The first one I grew had pods that ended with a point. The pods had the same flavour as those sampled from subsequent plants grown from seed sourced from two other suppliers.

Ants crawling all over a plant is a big hint that the plant has an aphid infestation. My hunch is the Neem is used to deal with the aphids.

We get ants around our area that seem to have worked out that ant rid isn't a good idea. They look at it once, then walk away from it. I like the petrol idea. :D

These are still new plants, I do wonder if their first pods will be their true shape, if you know what I mean. Honestly they stinger looks far too cool for me to not love it. Far more impressive then my Annuums.

Back