• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
True, Mezo. True. :sigh:

I dunno though, the blokes right down south seem to be a lot better off than us poor bastards up here!

Maybe a move down to Victoria or something might be on the cards... :think:

Yeah but its such a short growing season down there, Taswegian`s don't have any issue with pest but they freeze there knackers off in winter, chilli`s would surely die unless you uprooted them & did the northern hemispheres over winter: jobbie.

We are very lucky to have these growing conditions, its just a matter of the expense to protect them from pests.

Mezo.

Yeah deffo! It got down to 4 degrees here last night! Really struggling to get good temps indoors to germinate too...even on top the trusty modem!

Yeah but its such a short growing season down there, Taswegian`s don't have any issue with pest but they freeze there knackers off in winter, chilli`s would surely die unless you uprooted them & did the northern hemispheres over winter: jobbie.

We are very lucky to have these growing conditions, its just a matter of the expense to protect them from pests.

Mezo.

I overwintered a few annums back in New Zealand in buckets out in the elements and they actually came through fine. I thought they were dead since I had just picked the chillies until winter came and the plants just naturally died down, lost all their leaves and sort of just shrivelled up. I simply left the buckets where they were in frosts etc, and in spring they sprouted away by themselves.
I am not sure you would be able to do that in the South of the South Island of NZ but I wouldn't imagine that tasmania gets as cold as Southland on a regular basis

So if you took a little extra care I am sure you could quite easily overwinter a few chinense if you had the space/money/patience down south in aussie??.

Well was in Vegas & then moved over yonder mountain rage Gas, haven't seen any fruit fly but my veggie patch was eaten alive by everything else?

I think it don't matter where you live in OZ, you just have to protect your plants FULL STOP, END OF STORY.

Its either nuking them with expensive chemicals, covering them with something? or companion planting.

What a f'ing PITA.

Mezo.

FIFY, i always think of Gizzard guts when i see that word. The stupid human Pe#^*d.
:P

Yeah deffo! It got down to 4 degrees here last night! Really struggling to get good temps indoors to germinate too...even on top the trusty modem!

My germination is dead slow, just one in the last fortnight.

In hindsight i should have waited until i had a heat mat (and electrickery) or just waited till spring, im using my redneck/DIY gas fired heat mat for the time being & putting the tray in a nice sunny spot during the day, but so very slow.

Mezo.

I've been away for a while too. Moved house and had an extended internet reconnection saga, but its all up now. Much larger house, double lockup garage so plenty of room for germination and light grow setups and LOTS of of outside space for growing chillies. The garden is going to need a little work to get it ready but I've got time to sort it out. I'll start a new grow log and post pictures of the outside soon.

I see I'm not the only one already germinating seeds.
newhouse012.jpg

When these mature I have a sheltered sunny window for them to grow in. It's not a sealed greenhouse but can be made into one.

WB moo! Getting the garden up and going is half the fun, isn't it? Just keep in mind.... we want to see before and after pics! ;)

One more season growing in pots and I want a nice big garden too, dammit!

My germination is dead slow, just one in the last fortnight.

In hindsight i should have waited until i had a heat mat (and electrickery) or just waited till spring, im using my redneck/DIY gas fired heat mat for the time being & putting the tray in a nice sunny spot during the day, but so very slow.

Mezo.
As you know spring in Perth is cold, the coldest time of the year, and often wet. So my lasts years spring germination was a fail. Like Mega, started really early this year.
I got about 20 germinated in april, 100% germination rates using no heat, no light to do it.
And it's till warm days and plenty of sun even now, So I just put them outside every day, and bring them back inside at night. So they're not leggy like a spring germination seedling without artificial light would be, and I needed no electrickery heat or light.
And It's easy to keep them alive over winter, just keep them out of the rain and hardly water them. Piece of piss. The plants i did this last year to (that survived slugs and snails) took off in spring, gave my 4 rounds of pods each and was hardly bothered by pests/disease, unlike all the chillies I struggled to germinate even with heat and light in mid spring. They were too small to survive the pests and disease, to small to put up with the really high summer temps. As you know, Perth goes from spring (the coldest time of the year) to summer in the 40C max temps in just two months.
The wet or really really cold dawns of Sept/Oct to the max day temps of Nov/Dec is a pretty huge temp change. It's warmer right now than it often is in Sept/Oct...
Perth - No frosts to speak of really, so no worries. Everyone says plant out after the lasts frosts. Well OK then, that means plant out any time almost...

The weather is weird here. There's 2 rose bushes out the front of this place. Used to get aphid attacks, and like my chillies, over the summer, the plants looked unhealthy. The leaves often go yellow and drop off, or get some disease.
Right now in autumn, all it's leaves are growing back nice and green, and it's starting to get full of roses! One plant has just the one rose flower, the other about 7. And it's almost winter here.

Hey Mezo, make sure they label all the seeds correct and no foreign matter.......otherwise Quarrantine will jump on it!

Thanks Grant ive already explained this on the actual thread, hopefully Eric (who`s the fat controller) will make everyone aware.

Mezo.

Gogogo Brisbane winter/autumn, my small chocolate habs, jalapeno's and cherry chillies are starting to put out some pods. Its just keeping up with the sun for me atm so much shade about.

Are you talking about them clouds that have been hanging around the Brisso area the last few days? Piss off clouds! Other than that, we've had some beautiful Autumn days lately, aye?

I am surrounded by trees and high queenslanders, and I have to keep moving them at night to where the possums won't find them. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the Brisbane weather...just moved up here in Jan from the south. Looking to be a bit of a cold snap on the nights this w.e though

Ah yeah, I get ya on the shade thing now. Good for Summer growing, not so great for Autumn/Winter...

And don't get me started on those bloody possums! :mad:

BOM... It's just at night and by cold snap I mean only going down to 7 :P which i think is low for this time of year? I wouldn't know though, back home a cold snap is getting down to 0 :P

Ah yeah, I get ya on the shade thing now. Good for Summer growing, not so great for Autumn/Winter...

And don't get me started on those bloody possums! :mad:

Never seen so many! How do you keep them at bay?

I wish you bastards up north would stop talking about the good weather, I'm pretty sure we've hit 0C overnight last week.

Meanwhile, I've already started seedlings for next season, already had 56 out of 60 popped up, started another 60 the weekend just gone.

Invested in a new tent (2.8m x 1.4m x 2m) for the garage..

IMG_20120513_180106.jpg

and 2 new LED grow lights direct from China.... 126x3W with 6 different frequencies.
IMG_20120513_151235.jpg

Back