• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Damm Aussie bastages are taking over the world.

Well you do have the hottest women's diving team. so there's that.

Wait. What? Candice sold her business?

Her Incinerator is the real deal. I ate some and levitated for about 10 minutes. Good time to clean the ceiling fan.

Yeah Candice sold up. Not too sure what the new guy is up to but he might be carrying on the incinerator?
Seen some pretty funny stuff with the Incinerator. Lot’s of people get an “out of body” experience which can be hilarious to watch and one time a cop on the beat came around to Wildfires store when we were setting it up for the Chilli fest.
He said that he loved it HOT so Adam gave him some Incinerator. Man he was staggering around with one hand on his gun holster and one on his tazer heading over for the icecream van.
Wouldn’t have wanted to give him any trouble!

Micca 

Well I finally got all my pods dried and ground up:

bhTSyS5.jpg

There's about 300gms of powder all up so that should keep me going til next season. I can't believe how distinctive the Aji Limon powder smells, almost smells like it has smoked itself. :dance:
Definitely glad that's all done, I've melted my mouth, singed my nostrils, burnt my eyeballs and cauterized my knob ... ahh, good times! :onfire:

Ahhh the old knob cauterization trick. Haven't been caught with that yet , but I have no doubt that it will catch me off guard one day. Eyes and nose are bad enough lol

Gotta admit: I love this thread. 

Nice colors there, nd! How much time did it take you to grind all that? Electric grinder be d*mned, the powder still gets in the air enough that one needs to take a break from time to time. At least, mine does, when I'm grinding that much.

Self-control, gassy - what's that?  :D

geeme said:
Gotta admit: I love this thread. 

Nice colors there, nd! How much time did it take you to grind all that? Electric grinder be d*mned, the powder still gets in the air enough that one needs to take a break from time to time. At least, mine does, when I'm grinding that much.

Did it over a 2 week period as the pods dried. I tried to be so careful grinding but alas, I got burnt and coughed up a lung or three in the process!

Haha! Can you spare yet another one of those lungs? I did the same with mine when searing some ahi tuna the other day - my son even left the house!

Very nice collection! How did you dry your pods? What did you use to grind it up?

nuclearDays said:
Well I finally got all my pods dried and ground up:

bhTSyS5.jpg

There's about 300gms of powder all up so that should keep me going til next season. I can't believe how distinctive the Aji Limon powder smells, almost smells like it has smoked itself. :dance:
Definitely glad that's all done, I've melted my mouth, singed my nostrils, burnt my eyeballs and cauterized my knob ... ahh, good times! :onfire:

Islander said:
Very nice collection! How did you dry your pods? What did you use to grind it up?

I cut the pods in half and then hung them up in front of the reverse cycle heater/aircon (see post 4965 in this thread). Since it's winter here the heater is on for about 8-10 hours a day, it took roughly 10 days to dry them.
To grind them up I used one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAXIM-260W-Electric-Grinder-Blender-Wet-and-Dry-for-Coffee-Spices-Nuts-Herbs-/301084956174?pt=AU_CoffeeGrinders&hash=item461a0fd60e

Seems to work OK, they're not the greatest quality but I think they are fine for domestic use.

Hello to all my Australian friends! :)

I'm still around, been busy travelling a heap with work, but changing jobs in a few weeks which means I will have more time than ever to work in the garden. For those that have followed my grows previously, I've done half garden beds and the other half pots. Well, just finished a project this weekend to move everything out of the pots into the ground.

20140720_132041.jpg
20140720_132104.jpg

You have no idea how much sugar cane mulch I've gone through! All I did was use a garden fork to till the first 5-10 cms of soil which majority clay, then lift the plants out of their pots and sit on top of the ground. From there, used a cement mixer to mix up batches of Zoo Gro (http://www.growbetter.com.au/zoo-gro.php) with 2L of Rocket Fuel (http://www.neutrog.com.au/rocket-fuel/) and 2L of blood and bone. Piled that around the soil from the pots, and then finished up with sugar cane mulch. If any of the plants don't overwinter I will simply replace them with other plants.

I also have experimented this year with growing green mulch in the garden beds, which you just chop down as they start to flower. Read up that barley is awesome for tomatoes due to their phosphorous requirements, so bought a mix that incorporated this into it. Found someone on gumtree selling sheep and cow manure, so tore everything up out of garden beds, tilled quit a bit with a garden pick because it looked like everything had become severely compacted, then worked the manure into the beds along with Rocket Fuel and the blood and bone. Sprinkled seeds in the beds about 8 weeks ago, and they started flowering this week so chopped back two of the garden beds this weekend to allow to break down in preparation for planting.

20140720_132057.jpg

I'm going to try this year sprouting my seedlings on Sep 1, and as soon as I see a hook I will immediately put in garden beds and pop 2L bottles around the outside to create a mini greenhouse environment. Lids will come off during the day, but go back on overnight to ensure no frost hits them. The theory behind this is that having started the plants earlier each year, the tap root is obviously hitting the bottom of the pots they are growing in and I want to see what happens when this has the opportunity to go down as far as possible.

Good luck with your growing season!

nuclearDays said:

I cut the pods in half and then hung them up in front of the reverse cycle heater/aircon (see post 4965 in this thread). Since it's winter here the heater is on for about 8-10 hours a day, it took roughly 10 days to dry them.
To grind them up I used one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAXIM-260W-Electric-Grinder-Blender-Wet-and-Dry-for-Coffee-Spices-Nuts-Herbs-/301084956174?pt=AU_CoffeeGrinders&hash=item461a0fd60e

Seems to work OK, they're not the greatest quality but I think they are fine for domestic use.

Where in Melbourne are you mate? I'm looking to get some powder from something like a 7 Pot or Trinidad Scorpion to make a Caribbean type chicken wing sauce for a birthday party I'm going to in August. Happy to pay of course! :)

MiLK_MaN said:
Where in Melbourne are you mate? I'm looking to get some powder from something like a 7 Pot or Trinidad Scorpion to make a Caribbean type chicken wing sauce for a birthday party I'm going to in August. Happy to pay of course! :)

Near Warburton, about 70ks east of Melbourne. I think I read here or maybe Overclockers that you're in the northern suburbs?
I'm happy to send you some powder through the mail, just PM me your address and I'll send some off this week. :dance:
And no, I don't want any money for it ... besides, you couldn't afford me anyway, I charge like a wounded bull. :P

nuclearDays said:
Winter pods FTW!

I thought my previous harvest was going to be my last 'cause I assumed the remainder would just rot and not ripen but they managed to ripen ok.
Yay for the greenhouse. :party:

NXST2Fs.jpg

Nice haul there Mate  :P
Dunno what it is this season but I have had a few Chinense varieties that have done well over winter. Specially how these ones are in the raised bed and out in the open(no greenhouse).
My Jamaican Scotch Bonnet has still got ripening Chilli and is setting pods! A few others still have Chilli on them.
It’s been really good actually, seeing they are ripening very slow and at different stages I don’t have to harvest them all at once  :dance:

Micca

Micca302 said:
My Jamaican Scotch Bonnet has still got ripening Chilli and is setting pods! A few others still have Chilli on them.

Setting pods now? Holy confused chilli, Batman!

Nova said:
http://imgur.com/MgMMslf

Only true THPers will know who this is....

'Cause I'm only a noob n all I have NFI who it is but Gassy's diversionary post above is making my 'spidey senses' tingle so I reckon it's him. :party:

nuclearDays said:

Setting pods now? Holy confused chilli, Batman!

Tell me about it. Out of all the years growing i have never seen it before.

Hey Milkman keep forgetting to say Hi. Some interesting ideas happening there Mate!

Micca

Hey Micca, I saw one little seed from the Jay's Peachy Ghost Scorp has thrown a root overnight :party:
It's in soil now, so hopefully it continues to shoot.

Shurbryn said:
Hey Micca, I saw one little seed from the Jay's Peachy Ghost Scorp has thrown a root overnight :party:
It's in soil now, so hopefully it continues to shoot.

Sweet as Mate  :dance:

It always gives you a warm fuzzy feeling to see your little uns sprouting..........................

Micca

Back