• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Yup i put them straight under light as soon as i see ANYTHING :lol: Be careful though about distance from the light though as they can differ.
I had a rocoto seedling about 1cm away like gas said and fried it. Its still alive just but has not grown at all since. Now they go about 10 cm away from the light.
Yeah, my pubes are sensitive too....

Thanks Nova ...

those Aji Lemons that were looking a little dodgy seem to have been responding well to some more regular feeding (foliar feed 1/4 strength every 2-3 days seems excessive but they seem to enjoy it) and also letting the soil dry out even more before watering again.

My youngest Bonda Ma Jacques is a curious little bastard he has a bright green (entire) stem, whereas my other Bonda has a white stem. Not sure if this is normal or not?? but it is a cool variation I think.

Oh yeah, and sometimes you'll get a stupid, suicidal seedling that just isn't happy until it's actually touching light (like my Aji Amarillo).... leave them 1cm from the light overnight and they'll grow into it by morning!

Probably a good idea to keep such ones 2-3cm below the light.... ;)

Thanks Pablo
Well the J shaped albino seedling that sprouted in the dark fridge has got healthy green leaves now and has straightened up a bit (now it's at a 90 degree instead of 180 degree). But it's certainly bigger and healthier than the others brought out of the heat prematurely.
The seedlings that have barely touched the surface haven't done anything at all since I brought them into the light, but also into the cold. Even had a few hours that were sunny today.

Note: If you have a decent grow light it may be better to take them out early, but I think heat is also important. On that note though, I had a few warm sunny periods today, that only made the J shaped one better though, did nothing for the just barely poking through seedlings.

Also, mr J as I'll call him, is obviously 'leggy', no drama for me using seedling pots full of seed raising mix which I didn't fill to the top anyway (I'm well use to 'leggy' winter vege grown this time of year, they always have too long a stem), so my pots are only initially filled 3/4 the way of where I want it, or about 10mm lower, and I just top up the pots with potting mix to support the stem after sprouting, which is what I did for mr J today. But leaving in the dark is going to be a problem for people using jiffy pellets so I suggest bring them into light as soon as possible.

Using seedling pots, until I get so decent lighting, anything sprouting in the evening or night is just going to stay in the peltier, anything sprouting in the morning will be moved to a window*. I'll do this for the remaining seeds and compare results long term.
*Window has also a small 7W fluoro on at night, not bright enough for me to want to bring seedlings just poking through the soil though.

peltier fridge on heat mode
DXggH.jpg

Cold window with pathetic fluoro, mr J on the left. You can the the white specks of just breaking the surface seedlings in the other pots, brought away from the fridge and into the light as soon as I noticed them.
9Gw7p.jpg

The old gang, SB, red habs, cayenne (by far the biggest), jalapenos. The seeds were planted in March, (except for the small runt, bottom right, planted in April, the only seed that germinated out of heaps, but staying a runt)

vMtZj.jpg

Note: If you have a decent grow light it may be better to take them out early, but I think heat is also important.
I thought so too but apparently not. So far all the plants I have started this winter are doing great and I only use Sylvania Gro-Lux fluoro tubes - which ultimately are just fluoros and aren't going to get any warmer than standard fluoros. Temps in the high 20's are most important for germination, not so much growth.

I guess though, you guys do have it a little cooler out there in Perth. :P

But leaving in the dark is going to be a problem for people using jiffy pellets so I suggest bring them into light as soon as possible.
Ah, but if need be, we jiffy kids can still correct legginess at first pot-up. ;)

I thought so too but apparently not. So far all the plants I have started this winter are doing great and I only use Sylvania Gro-Lux fluoro tubes - which ultimately are just fluoros and aren't going to get any warmer than standard fluoros. Temps in the high 20's are most important for germination, not so much growth.

Ah, but if need be, we jiffy kids can still correct legginess at first pot-up. ;)

If not second ... (if you do a second pot up that is)

Temp is important as it needs to be above 10C I've heard, at 7C most summer plants similar, ie tomatoes go dormant. My draughty POS house would not be over 10C at night.

Well I don't know anything about jiffys, been asking about them but don't know which one to get and never got any answers. But thought it may be a problem as you can't just add mix on top.

Fridge above is a heat and cool 15L peltier fridge. My model I got from ebay for $80 about 4 years ago for road trips and staying at farm houses and B&Bs etc that don't have a fridge. Allowed me to pig out on cheese, have butter for bread, and a few beers or wines from the places I stopped at during the holiday road trip. I don't know if that model is sold anymore but there is a different model about these days. http://www.paramountzone.com/fridge2.htm but I haven't seen it for sale here.

Temp is important as it needs to be above 10C I've heard, at 7C most summer plants similar, ie tomatoes go dormant. My draughty POS house would not be over 10C at night.
Yeah, forgot you guys had it a little cooler out there in Perth. :P

Well I don't know anything about jiffys, been asking about them but don't know which one to get and never got any answers. But thought it may be a problem as you can't just add mix on top.
Either the Mr Fothergill ones if ya can still find 'em anywhere (my preferred ones - and they just come in the one size) or the small Jiffy brand ones will do the trick (a little too small for my liking but the big ones seem like overkill to me).

Basically, you start your seeds in 'em and just whack 'em into the soil once your plants grow their first couple sets of true leaves. So yeah, you definitely can (and should!) add mix on top when it comes time to pot-up. ;)

Where does everyone buy jiffy pellets? Is there a place to get them cheaper than at bunnings, maybe bulk or online?

I have used them in the past and they're easy to handle and effective but not as cheap as buying a big bag of seed raising mix and using the pots I already have.

Fridge above is a heat and cool 15L peltier fridge. My model I got from ebay for $80 about 4 years ago for road trips and staying at farm houses and B&Bs etc that don't have a fridge. Allowed me to pig out on cheese, have butter for bread, and a few beers or wines from the places I stopped at during the holiday road trip. I don't know if that model is sold anymore but there is a different model about these days. http://www.paramountzone.com/fridge2.htm but I haven't seen it for sale here.
The most important thing is.... do they work good for starting seeds?? :D (and can you control the temperature?)

Where does everyone buy jiffy pellets? Is there a place to get them cheaper than at bunnings, maybe bulk or online?

I have used them in the past and they're easy to handle and effective but not as cheap as buying a big bag of seed raising mix and using the pots I already have.
Yeah, just Bunnings.... but since they discontinued the Mr Fothergill ones, I'm going to start buying them online (not that they will be any cheaper, but at least on the Mr Fothergill site, if you order a certain amount, postage is free! :dance:)

Sucks about the price.... but as long as they remain awesome, I'll keep buying 'em!

Well I've been looking at ebay seller grand_pa_ron_au for jiffys, small plastic pots, labels and stuff, just didn't know what jiffy size to get. Are jiffy 7s 50mm? grand_pa_ron_au also sells 42mm

edit: Also, what about these lights?
http://stores.ebay.com.au/aussielightingworld/Hydroponics-/_i.html?_fsub=1336510012&_sid=914071522&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

edit:
The most important thing is.... do they work good for starting seeds?? :D (and can you control the temperature?)
Has a digital thermostat you can set any temp you want and it will cycle +-2 degrees. Look at my results, 18 month old seeds that didn't work to well in 2009, all sprouting up out of nowhere in 4 days.

Because of the fact it's designed predominately as a fridge cycle off is +2, not minus 2 deg. Ie in fridge mode (where the LEDs are blue) set it to 3 degrees, and it will switch off at 3C, switch back on at 5C to bring the temp down to 3C again.
In heat mode (where the LEDs are red) I set it to 28C. It switches on at (or below) 28C, and heats until it switches off at 30C. So you need to set it 2C below the max temp you want.

Automatic switch over between heat and cool depending on the temp you set as well.

you need to look for 42mm jiffies...if you buy in bulk you can get for .15 ea per 1000 or thats the cheapest I haver found so far

I use the 7's. Just measured ones width and its close to 40mm. Is that how ya measure them? I would like them a tad bigger.

I too would like to find a cheaper source for jiffies. They have the market tied up atm i reckon.
I wonder what the cost price is? :think:

When Bunnings discontinued the Mr Fothergill ones, they were reduced to like $4 for 24 or something. I grabbed a few packs and went back to get more a couple days and they were all gone. Knew I should have just emptied them out then and there the first time! :banghead:

Back