• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
I always think about things like that. My everyday job has me designing and trying to figure out ways to perform certain tasks that seem impossible. I am bloody good at it too :blows own horn: :lol: I would prefer to be a gunsmith however it isn't lucrative. Yes i am smashed! :D

Thinking out loud.
I need heat. It's really cold here at night.
I need light now that 8 seeds have sprouted over the past 2 days.

Fluoros have no heat, I'm running a 400W radiant heater occasionally right now, after today I think I need heat as well as light.

If I'm going to buy anything...
I'm just going to pull the trigger on a 400w MH lamp that will give light and heat, rather than a fluoro grow light build or buy that might be useless with the cold temperatures.
On that note, I'm also giving the jiffys a miss. The prices they can be found at are very tempting, along with their well known rep. Was going to get some as it's probably cheaper than more seedling pots and lots of good seed raising mix anyway, but I think they may dry out too much under an artificial heat source or MH lamp.

I think as it comes closer to warmer weather like spring, my peltier fridge will still do the propagation job (it can keep the temp steady, heat or cool automatically), then I may buy a fluoro grow light for 24 hr light on seedlings, but right now I need heat and light so the MH lamp wins.

Thinking out loud.
I need heat. It's really cold here at night.
I need light now that 8 seeds have sprouted over the past 2 days.

Fluoros have no heat, I'm running a 400W radiant heater occasionally right now, after today I think I need heat as well as light.

If I'm going to buy anything...
I'm just going to pull the trigger on a 400w MH lamp that will give light and heat, rather than a fluoro grow light build or buy that might be useless with the cold temperatures.
On that note, I'm also giving the jiffys a miss. The prices they can be found at are very tempting, along with their well known rep. Was going to get some as it's probably cheaper than more seedling pots and lots of good seed raising mix anyway, but I think they may dry out too much under an artificial heat source or MH lamp.

I think as it comes closer to warmer weather like spring, my peltier fridge will still do the propagation job (it can keep the temp steady, heat or cool automatically), then I may buy a fluoro grow light for 24 hr light on seedlings, but right now I need heat and light so the MH lamp wins.

I've got 140 under a 400 w hps right now and they're holding their moisture, when I'm finished I should have around 300 jiffys in those white plastic cups under 2 x 600 w + 1x 400w HPS grow lights

I've got 140 under a 400 w hps right now and they're holding their moisture, when I'm finished I should have around 300 jiffys in those white plastic cups under 2 x 600 w + 1x 400w HPS grow lights
OK, nice to know. It was something I was worried about.

Does buying jiffys in bulk put you on some fed watchlist? :lol:

And here you were gunna gimp out! Leccy is the killer, did i mention i want to kill, murder, stain, blot out, shoot with an rpg, feed hitlers poopie to and downright kill gillard?

Do the bigger Jiffy's (ie 42mm) hold their moisture better then the 36mm ones JR or are they similar?

My propagation unit has been holding a steady 28.5-30.5 degree range which I am more then happy with but the jiffy's have been drying out quite fast and I really have had to keep an eye on them.

I am thinking of exploring with some seed raising mix in 1 half of it and jiffy's in the other with the exact same seeds and soaking methods to see what works better germination wise ... maybe or I will just persevere with bigger jiffy's perhaps??

And here you were gunna gimp out! Leccy is the killer, did i mention i want to kill, murder, stain, blot out, shoot with an rpg, feed hitlers poopie to and downright kill gillard?

I'm in refrig/AC do you know what it's going to do to the price of refrigerants? Not a fan...
Main reason why I'm going cheap was I'm a self employed ref mech, not much work, not much money this time of year, just enough to pay the bills and that's all, and I'm bored with nothing to do only getting a couple of jobs a day - it's basically part time work for me right now. I need a cheap hobby as everything I do comes straight out of my depleting savings account which takes a 2k a month mortgage hit plus all the other bills.
First year was home brew, didn't go too well and isn't cheap, last year was just sitting on my arse reading (boring), this year trying to grow chillies on the cheap (as cheap as possible). Also last year I had a nice place to do nothing in, this current place I'm living in has no nice warm area or sunlight.

Just wondering what size pots/buckets everyone uses for the final pot up?
I have been looking around and have no idea whether I go for 10 litre 14 litre or 18 litre pots ?

Room is something that I have to factor in on final plant size so I was thinking of using smaller pots to try to restrict the size that a plant gets to somewhat (ie 10-14 litres), however I just found these 18 litre square (much better shape for my space) buckets on ebay for a fairly cheap price:

18 Litre square buckets

My only concern is whether they would be UV stable?

other then that they seem to fit all my other needs.

Any thoughts/ideas?

I have to factor in that they have to look a little bit tidy as they in front of our living space on our balcony and the wife will not be happy if they look ugly :lol:

Just wondering what size pots/buckets everyone uses for the final pot up?
I have been looking around and have no idea whether I go for 10 litre 14 litre or 18 litre pots ?

Room is something that I have to factor in on final plant size so I was thinking of using smaller pots to try to restrict the size that a plant gets to somewhat (ie 10-14 litres), however I just found these 18 litre square (much better shape for my space) buckets on ebay for a fairly cheap price:

18 Litre square buckets

My only concern is whether they would be UV stable?

other then that they seem to fit all my other needs.

Any thoughts/ideas?

I have to factor in that they have to look a little bit tidy as they in front of our living space on our balcony and the wife will not be happy if they look ugly :lol:
18L? I would say perfect for your chinenses, and unless you were looking for uniformity, more than enough for your annuums! Heck, I usually grow my chinenses in 14's and annuums in 8's (probably the smallest one can get away with - but then I am lucky enough to have fertile ground which I can whack my pots on and which usually my plants start sinking their roots into when they start outgrowing their pots ;)).

As far as your ornamentals go (Purple Tiger, Explosive Ember, etc), you can easily get away with much smaller like a 5L or something.

(reason for editing post: I was yabbering on! :lol:)

Thanks to my patch of fertile ground, I've even gotten away with growing in 4.5L pots:

IMG_5084.jpg

:D

(That's a money saver and a half right there, I tell ya! Something I'm gonna experiment with a little more this season....)

Good morning! I awoke to a nice surprise today, three more babies awwwwww.
One Po Cheong (purty common), one Peach Bhut (not so common), and one White Flowered Pube (from jr and as rare as rocking horse poopie).
:D
Now to get ready for a sore ass, no you dirty minded people, ima going ice skating! :lol: Havent been in about 12 years wish me luck! :rofl:

Just remember if you have got any Pubes then a big ass pot is always the go. Ground even better.
I've been growing my Chinenses in 300mm pots but with Perths heat they really need bigger. Only problems can be space and soil/Pot expense.

Micca

Cheers Gas , I already have some smaller terracota pots for my ornamentals and smaller annums, so it should make a little cheaper getting the pots only for the chinense

I've been growing my Chinenses in 300mm pots but with Perths heat they really need bigger.
Thems the ones I use for my chinenses too (I measured the literage just before :D). And yeah, I had problems with heat last season too. At one stage my plants started going all yellow and I couldn't figure out why until I touched one of the pots and it was like touching hot tar! (Oooooh, I get it now..... :lol:)

I'm actually gonna be rigging up some kind of protection around my pots this season.... probably shade cloth or something.

Only problems can be space and soil/Pot expense.
Definitely! That's why I opt for smaller too.... and why I am going to experiment more with letting the roots grow out of smaller pots.

Thems the ones I use for my chinenses too (I measured the literage just before :D). And yeah, I had problems with heat last season too. At one stage my plants started going all yellow and I couldn't figure out why until I touched one of the pots and it was like touching hot tar! (Oooooh, I get it now..... :lol:)

I'm actually gonna be rigging up some kind of protection around my pots this season.... probably shade cloth or something.

Definitely! That's why I opt for smaller too.... and why I am going to experiment more with letting the roots grow out of smaller pots.

Exactly right there Gas. Even under shadecloth, last season I worked out that it did not matter how much I watered the pots it was actually the whole pot heating up and basically cooking the plants!!
I will have to work something out for next season if I want to get some Pod production.

Micca

Back