• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
I used 300mm pots too for my full growns (this is my first year growing chinenses from seed, but I've grown up heaps of seedlings and always got cayennes and birdseye chillies from my own seeds).

I normally start with 100mm sq pots like you buy seedlings in for my first transplant. Then when 30cm tall switch to medium 200mm round pots, then to deeper 300mm pots. I use the round decor terracotta coloured plastic pots.
I probably wouldn't use black pots for the final two sizes out in the summer heat, as above, it's bad enough. Square pots are a good space saver, but I don't like the plants close to each other anyway to avoid cross pollination.

gasificada: I normally stay as small as possible, I've always had problems with having too large a pot. May be related to the quality of my potting mix, but plants just don't grow if the pots are too wet and the bottom of the pot gets all skanky and the roots won't grow. So I keep as small as possible so the pots stay fairly dry. I even pulled out most of my old plants and jammed them back into 200mm or 100mm pots for the winter. The only ones still in the 300mm pots are the biggest and tallest newest plants. I'd rather plants root bound than sitting in a mouldy swamp.

Damn, why is it so easy to germinate chilli seeds in winter? :)
Got about 12 now, nearly everything had sprouted and those that haven't, have actually germinated. And this is old seeds, in normal potting mix, and includes seeds that never worked for me like habaneros from CSB. This is juast after 6 days in the peltier fridge. Got seedlings everywhere, but no light or heat for them :(
Three casualties though, a PC1 naga that sprouted, but then the leaves died, a jalapeno that I must of damaged when digging around to see if it's germinated because it's cut in two, and a habanero I dropped.
8 out trying to get sunlight somewhere, 3 popped up in the fridge but nowhere to go, and of the rest I was worried about because none of that type had sprouted yet, a quick dig through shows they have germinated and are days away from being ready. It's cold here, it takes just 2min for the soil in the pots to go from warm in the fridge to freezing, soggy and cold.

GL on the ice skating Nova, I wouldn't be game to do it these days!

Exactly right there Gas. Even under shadecloth, last season I worked out that it did not matter how much I watered the pots it was actually the whole pot heating up and basically cooking the plants!!
I will have to work something out for next season if I want to get some Pod production.

Micca
Really? The shade cloth didn't make a difference?

Bummer! There goes plan B.... :lol:

Oh, and yeah, I still have two plants growing pretty well and producing pods. What are they?
First one is weird, very light green pods before turning red, looks like a savina or red carribean. It is round, has smooth skin but creases.
p5Ahd.png

A new pod has a surprise.
HAXAX.jpg

And this is ny "not Naga" like someone else mentioned they also had, this plant is still growing and producing pods too.
zJa9d.png

qSvfR.jpg

gasificada: I normally stay as small as possible, I've always had problems with having too large a pot. May be related to the quality of my potting mix, but plants just don't grow if the pots are too wet and the bottom of the pot gets all skanky and the roots won't grow. So I keep as small as possible so the pots stay fairly dry. I even pulled out most of my old plants and jammed them back into 200mm or 100mm pots for the winter. The only ones still in the 300mm pots are the biggest and tallest newest plants. I'd rather plants root bound than sitting in a mouldy swamp.
I agree. Two things become increasingly essential as pot size increases: a good potting mix that drains well, and the importance of potting up in increments (as opposed to a big jump from a small pot to a much larger pot.... you want those roots drinking any water at the bottom before it becomes a skanky swamp! :lol:).

Oh, and yeah, I still have two plants growing pretty well and producing pods. What are they?
First one is weird, very light green pods before turning red, looks like a savina or red carribean. It is round, has smooth skin but creases.
p5Ahd.png

A new pod has a surprise.
HAXAX.jpg

And this is ny "not Naga" like someone else mentioned they also had, this plant is still growing and producing pods too.
zJa9d.png

qSvfR.jpg
Poddage! :dance:

So they were supposed to be Nagas, aye? I think I may know where you got the seeds..... ;) :lol:

Those two plants above I bought already as seedlings. I didn't get the seeds.
My disappointment in them not being what they should have been is the sole reason why I decided to learn how best to grow the hotter chinense from seed myself instead and find some reputable seed sellers.
So blame those plants for me being here. I'm trying to get the gear, learn the techniques etc before next growing season.

Towards the end of the season I experimented with lining up my pots parallel with a brick wall to the north of them. So throughout the day the tops and leaves of the plants got the full sun and the pots were shaded keeping them cool. This was relatively easy with the low angle of the autumn/winter sun, you just had to shift the line of them further out every few weeks.

In summer the angle is much steeper, almost directly above so this wouldn't be easy. I sort of had an idea to get a long plank or board and cut notches out of one side to correspond to the trunks of the chillies, then just slide the pots under the board to shade them. It sounds like just mulching every pot would do the same thing but the outside of the pot would also be shaded. You could also attach drip irrigation under the board and mount the whole thing so that it could be swung away to get access to the whole pot and plant. When it gets really hot you could also use shadecloth above the plants.

One drawback I can think of is that bugs will be drawn under there, but if it swings away you could deal with them easily enough. Anyone else see anything wrong or right with this idea.

At the very least its a reason to go to bunnings and use power tools :rofl:

edit: I'm posting this because of the talk about keeping smaller pots cool etc.

Really? The shade cloth didn't make a difference?

Bummer! There goes plan B.... :lol:

The shadecloth really does make a difference, just not enough when you get a heatwave.

I was trying to setup some autowatering this season but never finished it. Maybe Megamoo is onto something, got keep keep the soil cooler somehow.

Good to see some winter poddage Pablo. They look like some sort of Habs.

Micca

The shadecloth really does make a difference, just not enough when you get a heatwave.

I was trying to setup some autowatering this season but never finished it. Maybe Megamoo is onto something, got keep keep the soil cooler somehow.

Good to see some winter poddage Pablo. They look like some sort of Habs.

Micca
yeah they started in april and never stopped. I bought 3 seedlings and they grew and grew and grew. The one that's light green is about 70cm tall, pods go red and are really hot and nice.
The one that's dark green I have never seen ripen, but it just keeps pollinating, so the pods get bigger and bigger and more and more of them, but never seen one ripen. Tried a green one of them, flavour is bad, no heat worth talking about. I had a bit of a taste near the stem, maybe got a seed or some of the pith, and it was HOT, tongue numbing, drooling saliva, type of heat. Weird because the rest of it was bland.

There's a 3rd plant that flowered profusely too, but flowers just dropped off, pollinated or not. So I ripped them all off to make the plant grow as it wasn't very big anyway. All three survived huge repeated aphid attacks, and are way bigger than anything I've grown from seed.
The dark green pod plant was supposed to be naga, the light green pod plant was supposed to be TS, and the one that never produced pods is supposed to be 7 pot/pod. Surprised that the light green podding plant made a new chilli that did have a bit of a tail, but it isn't that hot

edit: Spelling, been up since 3AM drinking.

Heres mu babies getting some sun yesterday, theres one in there that is not like the others :D

2011-07-03105138.jpg

Some Shitake mushrooms that i am growing, man they grow quick!
2011-07-03210459.jpg

And look, my son found a cloud duck. Quack quack :lol:
2011-07-02110905.jpg

I see her (I hope its a her for your sake) ... funnily enough they are not that dissimilar at that age ...

sweeet another new arrival for my family today ... an Explosive Ember just popped its head up in the propagator :woohoo:

Still no signs of anymore yellow 7pot/pods (apart from the 1 that has already come up) or any Dorset Nagas or Hot Cherry's at all!!. Will give the dorsets until the end of the week and then they will go (that will be 6 weeks for them).

So I am still waiting on the choc Bhuts, Ball Chilli's, Cheiro Do Norte's and Black Prince's from my last round (although its still early days = 7.5 days since putting in Jiffy's)

Next round hopefully scheduled for 1-2 weeks time all going to plan, which will include Burkina and Purple Tiger and others yet to be decided.

Just been looking at my Numex Twilight seedling and its a weird one ... it has a one new leaf on one side but no opposing one and nothing seems to be coming up in terms of new growth??

Then again one of Super Chilli's just had 2 of the initial leaves (cotyledons)and then nothing else until in the last week it has started to throw up 2 seperate growing tips , so it has saved me doing it later :woohoo: and will make LST'ing much easier as well.

Hey Trippa the Thermos are working out good so far. Been bloody freezing over here, just had 15Deg.C all day the other day Brrrr(2Deg this Morning). The heat mat seems to be staying between 26 and 30 Deg.C. Unfortunately you can only get 8 to 10Deg above room temp with the mats but at least it isn't getting over 30 now it has a Thermo thats set on 30Deg.

Micca

Hey Trippa the Thermos are working out good so far. Been bloody freezing over here, just had 15Deg.C all day the other day Brrrr(2Deg this Morning). The heat mat seems to be staying between 26 and 30 Deg.C. Unfortunately you can only get 8 to 10Deg above room temp with the mats but at least it isn't getting over 30 now it has a Thermo thats set on 30Deg.

Micca

Good to hear (not about the cold weather but the thermos ) ,

I think I am going to have the opposite problem sooner rather then later and will no doubt need one to keep temps down. Even with the only slightly warmer night (and day) temps we have been having in the past week it has made it harder to keep the temps around 29-30 during the day it has been getting to 31.5 and sitting there even with all the vents open and dropping back to 28.5-30 during the night.

So I would hate to see what happens when the warmer temps start kicking back in around mid august.

I'm the same here Trippa. I wanted them mainly for when it warms up over here but still have the freezing nights too. So the end thing is now instead of getting 26-35Deg.C I am getting 26-30Deg.C with a more narrow temp range :cool:
I might give some of these trickier ones a go now the temp range is less.

Great to see you are getting some more germination happening too.

Micca

Back