• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Heres where it's happening around my joint.

I started some Rocoto seeds last night (thanks sandgroper and junglerain), also some serrano. Some yellow cross orange mixes and an amarillo type. The other ones names evade me at the moment but i will edit this post later. Only put in one seed of each so that's a gamble in itself!
I also planted some basil and parsley seeds (didn't know that parsley can take up to four weeks to germ). Medium used was Coir, expanded from brick form. No nutes just water was used.

Heres my germ tub, it's got an aquarium heater set to 85f (about 29 celcius) and an aquarium power head to keep the water from stagnating. Air stones can be used in place of this but this is what i had on hand.

2011-05-17184107.jpg

There arte heaps of shelves like this in the growrage, they will come in very handy!
2011-05-17184119.jpg

So should be a few days at least before i see any action, will give me time to get some cups ready with coir.
I also plan on planting some more seeds this afternoon as i ran out of time last night. I will try out some normal seeds raising mix and see if it's better than the coir.

Well seeing you need a Sandgroper and my first sprouts are coming up now from Chinenses planted a week ago I suppose I better jump in too!

I'll take sum pictures later of the germbox.

Just out of interest Nova when you mentioned Coir for seed raising is that just straight Coir?
Just I used to use a Premium Seed raising soil mix but started using a Seed raising coir mix and have had some exceptional Germ rates.
Good luck everyone with the experiment.

Micca

Yeah micca just straight coir, im doing one or two more trays tonight so i will try out a half half mix with coir ans seed raising mix and another with straight seed raising mix and see what happens :D
Thanks for joining the party!

And WA is in! :dance:

I used to use a Premium Seed raising soil mix but started using a Seed raising coir mix and have had some exceptional Germ rates.
I use Jiffy pellets, and in terms of germination rates, I find they kick butt over seed raising mix any day. Maybe the seed raising mixes I have used in the past haven't been as "premium" as I thought (or as they claim to be), I dunno, but that's just how it goes for me!

Yup new joint and i agree, BONUS! I need a couple more flouros but the ones i have now will suffice for this bit of fun, i will probably set up a crude light thingy on the shelves on the other side of the shed this afternoon.

I use Jiffy pellets, and in terms of germination rates, I find they kick butt over seed raising mix any day. Maybe the seed raising mixes I have used in the past haven't been as "premium" as I thought (or as they claim to be), I dunno, but that's just how it goes for me!

I agree 110% on the jiffy's, Gassy. I've never had any problems with them and especially when your stating hundreds of seeds.
soooooo...... today I ordered 1000 x 42mm jiffy pellets for $A160.00 delivered..
Pics will have to wait till I get them and get organised.......fun times :dance: :dance: :dance:

Heres where it's happening around my joint.

I started some Rocoto seeds last night (thanks sandgroper and junglerain), also some serrano. Some yellow cross orange mixes and an amarillo type. The other ones names evade me at the moment but i will edit this post later. Only put in one seed of each so that's a gamble in itself!
I also planted some basil and parsley seeds (didn't know that parsley can take up to four weeks to germ). Medium used was Coir, expanded from brick form. No nutes just water was used.

Heres my germ tub, it's got an aquarium heater set to 85f (about 29 celcius) and an aquarium power head to keep the water from stagnating. Air stones can be used in place of this but this is what i had on hand.

2011-05-17184107.jpg

There arte heaps of shelves like this in the growrage, they will come in very handy!
2011-05-17184119.jpg

So should be a few days at least before i see any action, will give me time to get some cups ready with coir.
I also plan on planting some more seeds this afternoon as i ran out of time last night. I will try out some normal seeds raising mix and see if it's better than the coir.

Looking GOOOOOOD Nova........but!!!

come onnnnnn ya got heaps of room, time to go crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :onfire::woohoo: :onfire:

Bro i AM going crazy!

Seriously though hopefully there will be about 100 different varieties during the season, more if i can get away with it.
Cash is tighter than a fishes bum at the moment but i got 100 clams in the budget every month, god knows i have grown on less than that and i spotted a huge pile of good looking soil today near a public reserve so i figure the council "owns" it. I'm talking about 1500 cubes. I'm sure they won't miss a couple :hell:
Besides, i'm abbo so i own all the land :D

:rofl:

Hey guys, ya setups kick butt, I thought I would try both pellets and seed raising mix just to compare, first time using pellets so should be interesting. Whatever works best I'll stick with in the future.

I agree 110% on the jiffy's, Gassy. I've never had any problems with them and especially when your stating hundreds of seeds.
soooooo...... today I ordered 1000 x 42mm jiffy pellets for $A160.00 delivered..
Pics will have to wait till I get them and get organised.......fun times :dance: :dance: :dance:

120% Agree!!!

Only thing i have ever used and i have never had a problem...

Working on taking some photos now and getting my seed list organised. Planted my seeds about a month ago and i didnt keep my chilli id lables organised :(

Photos coming soon...

Bugger, i'm playin catch up! On ya for joining in on this gas, now we need Candice.
:lol: ha ha. Haven't been on here for a few days and was just eating my dinner and thought I'd have a quick squiz.
I was gonna keep it a secret but might as well tell yas that I started some seeds about 3 weeks ago. My plan is to run a 4 pot system hydro under lights to catch up on some seeds that I am running out of. So I went to the hydro shop yesterday to discuss with them and decided on a 4pot DFT bato system. It is a recirculating system using Dutch Bato pots. The advantage of these is that if there is a power failure and you don't realise then there is a reservoir in the bottom of the pots so they dont dry out completely. So I have ordered one of these but getting them to modify it slightly to make bigger. Not sure if this is counted to be in since it will be in a controlled environment?

Then today when I went back I decided to utilise my hothouse that I got last year and setup an 8 pot Bato system. Was gonna make it one big one with 4 pots in each row but then it worked out cheaper to have the 2 seperate 4 pot systems. So will have to get onto germinating some more seeds tomorrow. Just gotta work out which one I want to plant the most as I will be isolating it for seed also. I will see how the temp goes at night later on as last year it was getting to around zero at night, but will prob add either a heater or I have a big heating cable that I might be able to use. I haven't grown in winter before (only overwintered plants in there or under the patio) so not sure if there will be enough light. I was thinking if there isn't to perhaps hang a couple of fluoros up. Fingers crossed it all works and I get fruit! :dance:

Don't know how good I will be at posting pics regularly as I'm having my second baby in 6 weeks, have nothing organised and will probably be a walking Zombie so we will see.
Good luck everyone!

Yeah micca just straight coir, im doing one or two more trays tonight so i will try out a half half mix with coir ans seed raising mix and another with straight seed raising mix and see what happens :D
Thanks for joining the party!

Will be interesting, let us know how it goes.

Hey by the way nice new place ya got there Nova, I can see lots of seedling lining those walls :cool:

Micca

Thanks micca!

Candice your setup is SO allowed, it has been mentioned that cheating is more than welcome :D

On a side note i just got a package from Oziam, remember the Pequin/tabasco thingy? Well an elephant must have sat on the package lol im gunna have to lick the contents out of the sappy bag bwahahahaha :rofl:

2011-05-19082313.jpg

2011-05-19082327.jpg

Whoops!

Back