• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Oh no, did you soak in the hydrogen peroxide for 12hrs??? Thats the mistake I made with my first lot in bleach.

No no no you misunderstood, it's a typo.... I soaked them in hydrogen peroxide for 14 hrs :) :( oops
I was going to only have them in there for a short time but I got tired and went to bed :P
It was quite a diluted solution though and the ones that were in the 4X concentrated solution showed germination activity while still floating around :P I very carefully did NOT break off the root tip when planting them.

I am ignorantly confidant :D

Whats the story on the black plant Gas (Origins, taste etc?)??
Ask my source.... Candice. ;)

I've actually never grown them before, but after seeing pics of the gnarly fruit (they look like a peach!), I just couldn't help myself. :D

(Candice has pics on her site: http://www.wildfirechilli.com.au/)

No no no you misunderstood, it's a typo.... I soaked them in hydrogen peroxide for 14 hrs :) :( oops
I was going to only have them in there for a short time but I got tired and went to bed :P
It was quite a diluted solution though and the ones that were in the 4X concentrated solution showed germination activity while still floating around :P I very carefully did NOT break off the root tip when planting them.

I am ignorantly confidant :D

Fingers crossed for you then! :pray:

Gotta go and get ready to go to the good food and wine show now and drop off one of the kids. Yay getting out of the house :dance:

Hey this was just meant to be for a couple of plants! :rofl:
Not my fault that you are CRAZY! Bwahahahaha
Welllll, so far I only have a couple of plants as I can't get anything to bloody germinate now! :rofl:

I swear, even simulating the right season in the box, my seeds still just know it's winter...... "screw that, he's still gonna put us out in the cold after we pop!" :lol:

Thanks. Everything I do in gardening is an experiment in some way.

Lucky you! I hope the show is inside its raining here right now.

Yeah I'm doing more experimenting this time. Usually I just do the one thing and have great success but after that lot of "diseased seeds" that I grew in my hydro setup and had to throw out I want to make sure that everything has been treated and prevented as much as possible.

Yeah should be good and I may allow myself to have a few tasters. It's at the convention centre so hopefully we dont get wet on the way in from the car.

Ask my source.... Candice. ;)

I've actually never grown them before, but after seeing pics of the gnarly fruit (they look like a peach!), I just couldn't help myself. :D

(Candice has pics on her site: http://www.wildfirechilli.com.au/)

I dont know too much on the background of it, grew it last season and thought it looked pretty cool. CGN means it comes from a seed bank so I guess I could look on there and see what other info they have.

Hi all.

Nothing in the fridge is germinating anymore. It was set to 28-30C and I had good success with the habs and aji at that temp. Maybe the annums and thais in there like it a bit cooler, will try 25C.
Also I need to get better seed raising mix as I'm down to stuff not so good right now, too sandy when compared to the successful first lot of habs and aji I germinated.

Noticed the 3 month old plants I have while not growing much (they're about 3-4" high), are getting a nice thick stem, so hopefully they bolt up when the weather is warmer.

My seedlings I planted a month ago still not growing any true leaves. I bought a grow light on ebay about 2 weeks ago that hasn't arrived yet.

It's all in the name of experimenting, hopefully I work out the best germination method for me, and work out when best to start growing from seed in the future (based on my location and available light/heat)

Your plants are looking great there Gas. It's ok to be slow at the moment, were still only half way through winter.
Imagine how well they will take off when spring comes around. That CGN21500 is looking amazing too!
The only info I know about it is that it is a C. Chinense from Brazil and like you say the Fruits look fantastic.
Not too good on the Germ thing though, hope it comes good.

Micca

My Chilli Demons returned last night and with the help of THSC I have now coming in the mail , 1 x Bottle each of After Burner, Yellow 7 Turkey Slap and NagaSav , plus 3 packs of Seeds (NTR's, Hungarian Black and Corno Di Torro Rosso) ...
and I am currently off to Bunnings to have a look for this infamous Recycling Bin :woohoo:

I have started out about 2 weeks ago, got the heat mat and a couple of trays going. Been away with work so much my whole gardening enterprise is being neglected a bit.

On the heat mat I've got - African Birds, Barrackpores, Bonda Ma Jaques, Butch T Scorpions, Douglahs and Trinidad Scorpions. I seen a few hooks today when I checked on them.

Nearly all my other plants are in my greenhouse, some of them seem to be struggling with the cold weather. Hopefully everything will do well, still got a lot of time away from home with work so it's fingers crossed.

I have started out about 2 weeks ago, got the heat mat and a couple of trays going. Been away with work so much my whole gardening enterprise is being neglected a bit.

On the heat mat I've got - African Birds, Barrackpores, Bonda Ma Jaques, Butch T Scorpions, Douglahs and Trinidad Scorpions. I seen a few hooks today when I checked on them.

Nearly all my other plants are in my greenhouse, some of them seem to be struggling with the cold weather. Hopefully everything will do well, still got a lot of time away from home with work so it's fingers crossed.
Haven't seen you around for ages on whirlpool. First got interested in growing chillies due to the chilli thread there.

Wildfire I have also been looking at your sauce selection .... What are your recommendations for a would be first time customer??

Wildfire I have also been looking at your sauce selection .... What are your recommendations for a would be first time customer??

Cool. You definately have to give Smokey Jolokia Original a go. Awesome on Steak, sausages and Hamburgers. It has a good heat to it hotter than what you get from Nandos but not extreme like extract sauces. You can taste all the flavours first and then the heat builds up.

haven't seen you around for ages on whirlpool.

Nah, been pretty infrequent on most forums, been spending some time on the hdforums and the xr5ownersclub forums. Been spending money on the car and bike. Really lack time with all the work travel I've been doing. Been away from home 61 days out of 198 so far.

Glad you can join us Anthony.
Nice grow list. Are these for your sauces or just to grow for yourself?

Good to be part of it all :), probably a bit of both Candice. Looking at a total revamp of the sauce side, got to find time and sit down with a friend. He has a lot of ideas on how to change things and get it all happening. Not sure where it will go at present, too little time for making sauces.

Cool. You definately have to give Smokey Jolokia Original a go. Awesome on Steak, sausages and Hamburgers. It has a good heat to it hotter than what you get from Nandos but not extreme like extract sauces. You can taste all the flavours first and then the heat builds up.

Yum ... sounds awesome .. I like a sauce that builds and has flavour rather then simply pure heat ..what are examples of extract sauces that everyone seems to say to stay well clear of??

Yum ... sounds awesome .. I like a sauce that builds and has flavour rather then simply pure heat ..what are examples of extract sauces that everyone seems to say to stay well clear of??

Anything with the words, extract, oleoresin etc. Blairs is one that uses a lot of extracts in his sauces. To me they are more of a novelty sauce for "hurting" people or for smart asses or macho guys that say they can eat anything. I haven't found an extract sauce where I can't actually taste the extract so I just go for sauces with natural heat from superhot chillies. Some people that dont have much experience with sauce may not be able to pick it up but it basically has like a metallic taste to it and upsets your guts if you have more than half a spoonful.

Good to be part of it all :), probably a bit of both Candice. Looking at a total revamp of the sauce side, got to find time and sit down with a friend. He has a lot of ideas on how to change things and get it all happening. Not sure where it will go at present, too little time for making sauces.

Cool. :cool: Sounds like fun. I know what you mean about time. Some people dont realise how much time it actually takes to make a batch of sauce. Good luck with it.

Back