• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
You guys don't get any frost or snow? What are your winter low temps. Happy New Years also.

For where I currently live
Gold Coast weather
For where Gas roughly lives
Brisbane weather
For where chilliover roughly lives
Sydney Weather
For where JR roughly lives
Melbourne weather

As you can see (keep in mind Australian/New Zealand winter is from June to August) the Gold coast and Brisbane are pretty warm year round

Sydney less so and Melbourne can get some pretty cold days

As for frosts/snow in the cities at least it is not really heard of in Brisbane/Gold Coast (not proper frosts as I used to know in New Zealand anyway where everything was frozen solid).

You would have to ask the other locals on here about there particular areas as I am not sure about some of the country/suburbs surrounding the cities.

I am still starting a few seeds with a view to over winter the ones that show some good vigour and the definate keeper varieties for next season plus hopefully with a nice long warm autumn I might see a pod or 2 this side of winter.

I am also searching for a few variaties that are known to set fruits all year round to keep my fresh chilli supply going through the few months of limited supply here.

Mind telling me what varieties these might be. I'd also like a constant supply of chillies but so far only my cayenne red are going strong throughout winter and that too only if i bring the plants inside.

Cheiro Goias, Malaguata and RHF1 are specifically mentioned by Neil to seemingly go longer into winter then others. There would no doubt be a few wilds in this same category as well. No superhots that I am aware of are specifically cold resistant

For those interested in why my plants can handle the heat and direct sunlight:

http://www.commercia...tid=3&Itemid=34

Quote:

• Seasol can be applied at specific times (as required) to provide protection during periods when heat stress may occur and during critical phases in crop development
  • Seasol is taken up by the plant systemically, the heat tolerance effect has been shown to last for several weeks after an application

I'm only using the Seasol from Bunnings, not the commercial version, but I think it's only a difference in strength and quantity sizes.

I have a 7 pot/pod long that has survived 3 winters outside,
It's at the far end of the garden so I just let it go on its own,
so far it seems to put out more pods each year,
theres probably 50+ pods on it right now....

One thing you need to point out to others Grant is that you live on the coast, therefore you have more regulated temps to those that live more inland.

I've got about 8 2nd year Assam Bhut's in pots that would of had a few pods right now if they weren't smashed to bits from the hail, and also about 10 or so 2nd year Asian Birdseyes in the garden beds that are already loaded with a fair few pods. 2nd year plants will always produce quicker than 1st year plants as they have an established root system to work with.

I was in Bunnings today, and I saw some white stuff in the section in the weed mat area that claimed to assist with frost protection. They suggest to drape it over the top of plants, but since I use garden beds with metre high stakes, I am thinking of draping it over the top of that and securing it down over winter to see how some of the Chinense go.

We do get frost here but it's only mild and the temps do get down to 0c but it's not that common
yeh I know the stuff, I get the wife to sew me up various size bags to use it as isolation bags on the flowers/branches etc
How's you plants going, these next few days might knock em about a bit more????

Yeah, I was a bit concerned with the 4 days forecast, but I went outside before and there are new shoots coming out of all the damaged plants all over the place! I even checked some of the flowers, and there are no flower drops from the extreme heat as well. I really think that using Seasol in the sprayer I bought is really working for me.

I'm going to spray them with some more Seasol + Powerfeed shortly.

http://www.organicdirect.co.nz/product-details.php?name=Vaporgard%20250ml&productID=195&page=2&keywords=&categoryID=0

I have used this before in New Zealand and it works great as a frost protection on citrus (limes and lemons) and other vegetable crops I have never specifically used it on Capsicum or Chilli's though and not sure if its available here in Australia

I am also about to do a seasol/neem spray and eco-aminogro soil treatment of my plants before I head back to work on Tuesday. Seasol is great stuff I reckon

Here's some pics of the new shoots since Christmas Day, all TS Butch T's in the same garden bed.

IMG_20120101_194127.jpg

IMG_20120101_194117.jpg

IMG_20120101_194103.jpg

MiLK_MaN, that's what I started using late last year - hand sprayer direct. I try and stress my plants as much as possible in the dry times (SE QLD, so not that often :cool:) and had the need to feed, but not water and it works a treat.

InCider.

Yeah, I was a bit concerned with the 4 days forecast, but I went outside before and there are new shoots coming out of all the damaged plants all over the place! I even checked some of the flowers, and there are no flower drops from the extreme heat as well. I really think that using Seasol in the sprayer I bought is really working for me.

I'm going to spray them with some more Seasol + Powerfeed shortly.

Yeah, I have been using Seasol this season and so far my plants do seem to definitely be more sun/heat tolerant. Hard to say to what degree though considering it has been a very mild Summer so far....

Speaking of Seasol too, does it usually have an unpleasant smell to it? Mines stinks a bit and I heard somewhere that that's a bad thing.

Yeah, I have been using Seasol this season and so far my plants do seem to definitely be more sun/heat tolerant. Hard to say to what degree though considering it has been a very mild Summer so far....

Speaking of Seasol too, does it usually have an unpleasant smell to it? Mines stinks a bit and I heard somewhere that that's a bad thing.
The Seasol I've used stunk very much like rotting seaweed. I didn't think much of the smell. I guess it may not be the best fragrance to have on indoor plants.

Should smell like seaweed/sea/fish. Wouldn't say its a nice smell at all (that's a brand new bottle as well) however my smart garden brand seaweed/kelp concentrate smells much sweeter/nicer. Not a nice smell either though really. Eco-aminogro smells the worst of the lot though.

I've been thinking about the same thing. The smell from my bottle of seasol is now pretty damn stinky compared to when it was new and although it still had a seaweed smell then, it was sweet and not like a rotting smell. I've had this bottle for a while, theres still a bit left but I've not been using it frequently so its obviously gone off. I don't think it has the same effect but shouldn't hurt the plants. Might use it all up on the basil and get a new one.

Yeah, "rotting" seaweed is one way to describe what's going on with mine, harry. :sick:

Got the stuff coming outta my ears ATM. Picked up 4 x 2L casks for a buck each from Coles not so long ago (discontinued). How long you all reckon the stuff should last? Even though I paid next to nothing for it, will still be pretty PO'd if it's bad.

Hey BTW, trips, any noticeable difference since you started using that Aminogro stuff? I've been using Go Go Juice (which I am under the impression is similar) but still too early to tell how much of difference it is actually making.

Yeah, "rotting" seaweed is one way to describe what's going on with mine, harry. :sick:

Got the stuff coming outta my ears ATM. Picked up 4 x 2L casks for a buck each from Coles not so long ago (discontinued). How long you all reckon the stuff should last? Even though I paid next to nothing for it, will still be pretty PO'd if it's bad.pression is similar) but still too early to tell how much of difference it is actually making.
The unopened bottles may be sealed and hence less prone to developing more of a stink. 8 L of it will probably last a very long time.

Yeah I think there was a noticeable difference within 2-3 days of using the eco-aminogro the first time (used in conjunction with a organic fert
and seasol ) that's when my plants seemed to bounce back from the leaf drop problems and they started cranking out new growth and flowers. About to hit them again so I will see if there are similar results.

I've got 2 x 10L of Seasol and Powerfeed in the garage, and it came with a plastic tap to use. Still smells the same as if it was brand new.

Everyone always gives me Bunnings vouchers for birthday + christmas now, they know it was certainly be used ;)

Mind telling me what varieties these might be. I'd also like a constant supply of chillies but so far only my cayenne red are going strong throughout winter and that too only if i bring the plants inside.
I'm growing some Zimbabwe birdseyes which I've heard don't mind colder weather. I would think Rocoto would do well too.
For those interested in why my plants can handle the heat and direct sunlight:

http://www.commercia...tid=3&Itemid=34

Quote:

I'm only using the Seasol from Bunnings, not the commercial version, but I think it's only a difference in strength and quantity sizes.

This is really interesting, explains why my plants seem to do better in the sun now, than they did before, only been using seasol for about a month.

Back