• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Anyone tell me what these are? my mate just turned up with them, he got them from Wooly`s & said they are called "Chilli Balls"

chilliballs.jpg

Cheers,

Mezo.

I'm probably waaaaaaay off the mark, but could they be Manzano's?

rocoto_red.jpg

Hi Guys, not a Manzano, C. Pubescens
or hybrid of, ...C. pubescens don't hybridize with the other domesticated species.
It's more likely to be a C. Annuum or C. Annuum hybrid

It's called a Cherry Pepper, A lot of people stuff them and roast em in the oven. Happy Chilli Growing, Micca

Thanks Micca for clearing that up, we did think about stuffing them.

I just Google`d Cherry Pepper & found the hotness at between 100 & 500 Schovies.

Mezo.

whos well acquainted with bugs and pests on here? i couldnt get a clear pic as this bug wasnt photograper friendly ..
280320121453.jpg

it looked like it was at last 5 times the size of a regular lady bug..and had many more balck dots on her outer..
280320121454.jpg

is this green circle work part of the hybridizing of the bunnings orange habaneros or is it the work of a sinister little insect..

Not an expert by any means however...

Apparently there are at least two types of ladybugs and the one with lots of spots is not a good one. That from a radio gardening show host in Perth.

As far as the green patches on the pods go, I currently have a fruit fly or pepper maggot problem and in the course of looking into it I have noticed that the pods that have a grub or two inside them do not ripen as quickly as a grub free pod.

Take that for what it is worth but that is my two cents.

Good luck.

whos well acquainted with bugs and pests on here? i couldnt get a clear pic as this bug wasnt photograper friendly ..
280320121453.jpg

it looked like it was at last 5 times the size of a regular lady bug..and had many more balck dots on her outer..
Bad. 26 0r 28 spotted ladybug is bad.
http://aussieorganicgardening.com/?p=718

http://www.ento.csiro.au/biology/ladybirds/ladybirds.htm

Thanx Pablo, by the way what is the name of that commodore64 game that your profile pic came from? i know i have it on an old verbatim floppy disk somewhere , please dont make me traul ebay looking for a working c64 as mine has a blown vic chip ... :(

Thanx Pablo, by the way what is the name of that commodore64 game that your profile pic came from? i know i have it on an old verbatim floppy disk somewhere , please dont make me traul ebay looking for a working c64 as mine has a blown vic chip ... :(

They are all on MAME. :party:

Mezo.

Nebulus. The characters name is pogo.
I liked him, and pablo/pogo, well close enough, so he's my mascot :D

Yeah I'd like the old hardware too, but don't have the room for it. I went halves with my older brother for the C64 originally went I was 13, and I let him keep it. He still probably has the atari 2600 too.

But I spent all my money on cars for 10 yrs before I cared again about old c64/game systems/PC hardware. Too hard to track it down now. I did keep my PS1 and N64 though. Agree with the above, if you don't still have it, better to use emulation software on a PC rather than try find the old hardware now. But old hardware is awesome if you still have it or it falls into your lap.

edit: just don't go on a killing spree and kill any ladybug with 23 spots (bugs are usually smaller and bigger spots)
http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_ladybirds/CommonSpotted.htm

Thought id share this with us Aussie lads & lasses if there are any?

Went to go buy some pots but they had sold out of the mid sized ones i normally use, so i wandred over to Crazy Clarks to see if they had any, only fancy fluted terecotta color plastic ones at $3 a pop.

Then i remembered reading on another thread some of the guys in the US were using plasic buckets, so i had a look & found these for only a dollar a shot, they are perfect for plant pots & a decent size (just need to drill some holes in the bottom).

bucket.jpg

Mezo.

I just get buckets as well mezo. Bunnings had 9litre ones for 35c each so I grabbed a bunch. I think those same ones are now 72c not quite big enough really but big enough to get some pods and good for my balcony constraints

Thats a bargain Trippa, can't wait till they finish building the Bunnings where I live cause will be doing alot of shopping there. Well here's a pic of my Hugarian Hot Wax with 25+ pods. Definately be making some type of sauce with them.
RIMG0046.jpg

That`s what im wanting to grow (being half Hungarian myself) where did you get the seeds from?

Them pods look fantastic by the way.

Mezo.

Thats a bargain Trippa, can't wait till they finish building the Bunnings where I live cause will be doing alot of shopping there. Well here's a pic of my Hugarian Hot Wax with 25+ pods. Definately be making some type of sauce with them.
RIMG0046.jpg

I've never had that many pods on one of my Hot Wax plants. My strain seems to be much less productive.

Thnx guys it was just a $3 seedling from the nursery section at Magnet Mart. Will have a go at overwintering this plant. I"m a noob at this but knew there was something good about it. It's only about 4-500mm tall but chockas with more pods developing. I went around with a tiny modelling paintbrush to pollinate the flowers and boom its gone apeshit ever since. Will be kepping seeds from them if any of you guys wanna trade or something like that. I'm just waiting till I've got some spare cash to buy some jiffys and a greenhouse and the rest cause I've got like a dozen or so varieties of seeds totaling about 300 seeds and go a little OCD when I do stuff so things take longer then usual.
While I'm here was wondering if any of you guys use "tulle" to isolate plants from cross polination and if there is any type I should be looking for? CYAS

Back