• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Gas you've been talking doom n gloom about mites n fruit fly so much I thought you had no plants at all. Those ones are looking pretty good, you're well ahead of my grow.

Haha. Seriously though, things honestly didn't start well at all this season. Most of my babies were doing this crap in the beginning:

IMG_7823.JPG

Took care of that with a fresh new batch of soil and they slowly came around. And then bloody broad mite hit around the same time. But then as far as they go, can't believe how hard Californicus mite have been hittin' 'em! Since releasing them like a month ago, I haven't seen any new broad mite damage. It just doesn't feel right.... like when am I going to wake up and find my garden being destroyed by 'em again?? :lol:

Don't know what I'm going to do about the fruit fly though. Chemicals are out of the question as I don't want to kill my predator mites. I believe when they say traps and lures are only semi-effective at absolute best. So I guess I'm just going to have to spend moolah, time and effort on bagging.

I have a fruit fry problem and did some research on it. They can live in the ground as maggots for up to 18 months, need a certain nematode that attacks them in the ground as I said before. But otherwise it's a "plastic wrap, burn or drown" approach to infected fruit.

Gasi plants are looking good!
Mine have only gone backwards since the slugs, snails and aphids have arrived. And now it's very cold and wet here so it will probably get worse. I think my april plants wont do much. My june plants may not do anything either.
But half my plants from last year will probably be alright, so I should have plenty of chillies.

I'll tell pablo there is an age old custum here in qld that helps with not being able to sleep. :D

That's what I was doing that night. The next day was terrible!
Depressive alcoholic that can't sleep is not a good career move for most...

I have been meaning to look into these nematodes you speak of, Pablo. I am a big fan of predators now and have faith in them. Hypoaspis miles mites are present here and have always taken care of fungus gnats for me (when I have inadvertenly introduced the buggers). And now, what looks like the success of Neoseiulus californicus against broad mite--although I have to give it more time to really judge how successful they are. It has only been a month since releasing and it is only winter/start of spring after all (when broad mite aren't as active)!

As far as fruit fly goes, I'm going to try the whole integrated management plan thing and see what happens. Traps, lures, nematodes (if I can track 'em down), and bagging. And of course, prompt disposal of any fruit they do get to.

What Pablo said, moo. Wrap, burn or drown. Although I've wondered about hot composting. Not something I am keen on risking though.

If there is a chance then don't risk it... kill the evil sods.

All this talk of predators makes you think what it would look like from the point of view of a mite. Something like a scene from Predator vs Aliens. Happy thoughts :D

Spring seems to be well and truly here now. Things still moving along nicely ATM.

NOT Dorset coming into it's third year:

IMG_8002.JPG

Pimenta da Neyde coming into it's second year--and it's decided to be purple now instead of black:

IMG_8011.JPG

IMG_8012.JPG

Lucky dip from Grant's mixed superhots:

IMG_8009.JPG

(What's it gonna be? What's it gonna beeee?? I love surprises! :D)

No chemicals in use here ATM..... ladybug and lacewing eggs: :cool:

IMG_8005.JPG

Gday guys, new chilli grower in perth.

I have yet to get a big year as i only started this year near the end of summer.

Im currently growing for looks and for fruit. I love how birdseyes etc look.

Here is my intro thread if anyone is interested, it has a list of what i have growing and also some problems. Ill be making another thread in the growing section so i can expand my knowledge.

Any other active members in perth? im in kewdale.

Perths winter is generous isnt it...i had some chilli continue to fruit over winter

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34370-hi-from-perth-aus-germinating-photosqueriesexperiment/

:welcome: from Brissy, mate.

We have a good winter here in Brissy too... just a shame about our summer though. The heat and intense sun can throw the old planties around a bit.

Fair few from Perth here now. What are ya all trying to take over?? :lol:

im from sydney originally just moved here after uni, much better work prospects for mech eng's.

I think ill get some shadecloth then to throw over it all....

I have yet to get a big year as i only started this year near the end of summer.

Here is my intro thread if anyone is interested, it has a list of what i have growing and also some problems. Ill be making another thread in the growing section so i can expand my knowledge.

Perths winter is generous isnt it...i had some chilli continue to fruit over winter

http://thehotpepper....riesexperiment/
Hi!

There's about 5-7 people here from Perth.
More than any other state it seems. Must be because it's so boring here there's not much else to do :D
Used to be more from other states, but they seem to have disappeared. Shame because they were in the game longer and had more experience.
It's like WA is so far behind, we're only getting into it now, eastern staters are yawning and saying chili growing is "so 2009..." and found new things to do :D

I was in East Cannnington not far from Kewdale, then moved east (cooler).

Hey Gas my mate Danny here is from Logan as well, he comes down to the farm on weekends, its him in the pics on my thread cutting the base out of the water tank, he`s in Woodbridge.

Mezo.

Do any fellow Australians have spare chilli pods they want to sell. I have run out and need some hot ones. If in Sydney i can pickup or can pay for postage from elsewhere. Need about 1 kg.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34370-hi-from-perth-aus-germinating-photosqueriesexperiment/
Welcome to THP. Im from Ellenbrook, in my first year growing too. There are a stack of Perthians on here now.

Gas your plants look great. Awsome to see the bugs doing their thing!

Reactions: nee
Back