• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
I purchase the seed as Rocoto Manzano Orange. The pods are a bit variant with some looking like a Rocoto(long shape) and this Badboy with the Manzano shape.
Manzano should have an Apple shape to them as far as I know.
Yours should be starting to really take off now with the cooler weather. I had lots of fruit on at the beginning of winter and now it’s starting with flowers.

Micca

Hi guys, having some issues with my plants, not sure what is happening. I don't think it is aphids, mites or overwatering. Maybe fungi?

Sry about the fingers, new phone and still getting used to it. Atleast my pictures are infocus with this new phone.

20120828_161610.jpg

20120828_161600.jpg

20120828_161552.jpg

Sun scald. ;)

(Although that leaf curling looks like it could possibly be mite related.... hard to say at this point but something to keep an eye on.)

Thanks for the info, thats a relief. They are getting sun now for the first time in months so that explains that, and transplant shock probably don't help. I think the curling maybe because of being rootbound in the old 10cm pot I had them in.

Now just have to figure out how to take care of bloody fruit fly.

Rogor insecticide. I know some people are against the chemicals, but it works.

I had all sorts of problems with fruit fly a few years ago when I was living in Ipswich, I'd be throwing away bags full of ruined chillies and tomatoes every week. I tried everything, all the natural sprays, baiting and trapping (which did kill hundreds of the buggers, but they just kept coming)... I went from getting basically 0% usable produce, to pretty much 100% yield.

I'm not a murderer afterall! The little red rocoto manzano has started to stand back up, although a little bent :D

img0377ts.jpg

Speaking of rocoto manzanos... Here's my neglected ones. I just put them down the back out of the way to see if they'd survive winter and they did and gave me fruit all winter. I probably should have fertilized them though :( They've been fed now but are very root bound.

I plan to put them in the ground for this season but am unsure of when to do it. I was going to do it at the start of spring but it's still pretty cool now.

Sad plant.
img0375lo.jpg

img0376le.jpg

I'm not a murderer afterall! The little red rocoto manzano has started to stand back up, although a little bent :D

img0377ts.jpg

Speaking of rocoto manzanos... Here's my neglected ones. I just put them down the back out of the way to see if they'd survive winter and they did and gave me fruit all winter. I probably should have fertilized them though :( They've been fed now but are very root bound.

I plan to put them in the ground for this season but am unsure of when to do it. I was going to do it at the start of spring but it's still pretty cool now.

Sad plant.
img0375lo.jpg

img0376le.jpg

Man that looks like a bit of Chilli torture happening there Stone :shocked: At least there is still some Chilli left!
Oh by the way those pots are way too small too. They love to sprawl out and absolutely love big pots or in the ground.
I would be cutting them back and putting them in the ground Mate.

Micca

They were both healthy and fruiting prolifically in May-June and I have a friend at work who said not to put them into the ground until it warmed back up so they've stayed there in their pots since. The orange one wasn't wilting like that last week, they both just had some yellow leaves. I'm not sure why it's wilted as we've had plenty of rain. I guess I'll find ground locations for them this weekend and hope they survive the move.

Maybe rootbound or waterlogged?
When you transplant them you can have a look at the roots and see. It wont hurt putting them in the ground if they are rootbound.

Micca

Oh by the way those pots are way too small too. They love to sprawl out and absolutely love big pots or in the ground.

That's nothing......

IMG_6588.jpg

:rofl:

Usually my plants find their way outta the bottom of the pot and end up rooting the ground. Dunno about Pubes though. I have such shit luck with 'em and they always die early on me.

I'm not sure why it's wilted as we've had plenty of rain.

That *could* be your answer there. :think: How much is plenty? Have they been sitting in water-logged soil?

That *could* be your answer there. :think: How much is plenty? Have they been sitting in water-logged soil?
The soil was dry but there's been rain every couple of days or so, I gave them a drink of this. I assume it's due to being rootbound as the roots are visible all around the top surface of the soil.

Nice tree there Gas. Is that the Wasp?

It is. I've since given it an extreme haircut and ripped it outta the ground and have it in a temporary pot ATM. Just gotta find somewhere to put it back in the ground now........

I have found with Pubes I tend to double the pot of any Chinense species.

I would believe they require that. Fussy things they are.

My last attempt at growing one this season. If the one I have going now dies, that's it!

The soil was dry but there's been rain every couple of days or so, I gave them a drink of this. I assume it's due to being rootbound as the roots are visible all around the top surface of the soil.

Did the dying start before or after the application of Miracle-Gro? And what strength did you hit 'em with? My pubes always seem to be a little more sensitive to ferts than other species.

Cover them roots with some extra potting mix or something too. Chillies don't like their roots exposed.

I agree with Micca... get 'em in the ground ASAP if that's your plan. I couldn't see why it would be a problem doing it now. Pubes are more tolerant of the cold than other species (in fact, seems like they prefer it to me). Give them roots a chance to stretch. Hopefully they bounce back for ya!

Nah, I fertilized after seeing it was wilting. I did the recommended dosage which I what I used on them and my other plants all last spring. I'll put them in the ground this weekend now that I know it's safe to do so :)

On another note, Stone, do you know if that white flowered "grass" type stuff growing is Allium triquetum? Discovered some growing in my garden not so long ago. Thought it was regular big-bulbed onions as it's growing in the same spot where I planted onions many years ago. Either it's just a coincidence that it's growing in that exact same spot or I got jipped on my onions!

Aparently it's invasive as all hell. :scared:

Oh well, seeing as it's still of the onion family (and apparently still edible), I'm just gonna leave it there as a companion plant.........

I'm not sure what it is called. I call it onion weed as it smells like onion. It will be whipper snipped to death next sunny weekend I get :D

Thanks for saying "onion weed", I had to go google it, didn't I?? Now I'm more confused than ever! :lol:

This resembles more what I got growing: http://www.iewf.org/weedid/Nothoscordum_borbonicum.htm

Only my stuff has a strong onion smell too.... and that stuff apparently doesn't.

Do I start ripping it out or leave it?? :confused:

(And you're gonna need more than a whipper snipper by the sounds of it..... :P)

Haha. I'd never looked it up before... Looks like it's hard to remove! I just cut it off like grass, it can do it's own thing and try to grow back but it'll just get chopped down again next whipper snipper day :)

Back