• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Trippa said:
Woah ....welcome back Joey ... Long time since you have been around how are you??

Really good dude, I got sidetracked starting my own business and moving. Have to start from scratch again with my plants but thats cool.  Just planted a Hab and a birds eye.

I have been having a few issues with my peat pellets and keeping seedlings alive but I thinks that cause I got a bit lazy with them.

I didn't grow anything the last 2 years and have missed the fresh stuff so have just started some seeds 2 days ago. Bhut Jolokia, Butch T TS, Chocolate Habanero, Scotch Bonnet, Cayenne, Serrano, 7Pot Jonah, 7Pot Yellow, Fatalii and a free gift from the hippy - Blondie. Looking forward to Summer.

This thread has slowed down a bit from its hey day. . good to hear you have started your own grow after a couple of years ... Best of luck

I'm growing a few plants but can't seem to get them past the first set of leaves. Guess this is due to lack of light. I am germinating them in a heated propagator and then keeping them in there. They germinate fine and the first leaves come up but that's all that happens. Does it normally take a few weeks to grow the second set or is that unusual?  

It'll take a little while for the first set of true leaves to emerge but you will need a decent light source once they have emerged to make that happen

I'm Back growing as well.. mainly Scorpions and a  Bhut or two..
The Big Wet last Summer wiped me out followed by The Army Of Black Fungus and is Allies..
All that survived was my Thai and Jalapeno bushes.
Have moved house..and have a better grow site. It has an Easterly aspect that blocks the mid-day sun. Heaps of cross-flow breezes that should help.
Best of luck people with your current grow season.. mines just started.
Cheers
and not as much bloody rain this year.

Trippa said:
It'll take a little while for the first set of true leaves to emerge but you will need a decent light source once they have emerged to make that happen
Is sitting next to a large window with only a few hours direct light enough?

Not really enough Tatts. My setup is nothing flash, just a set of shelves and some flouros will do. I bought aquarium lights but I think the standard tubes will be enough. This is an old pic:

199001.jpg

Tatts, I have 2 doubles on each shelf and the one on top is a 100w CFL. How many lights you need depends on how many plants you have. I take them out of the little greenhouse as soon as they pop up and get them under the lights straight away.

I did some searching online and found that energy saving globes are fluorescent. TIL. So i grabbed an spare lamp and put it above the plants as such:

Hopefully it will help them along a bit.

Thanks again for your help guys. Hopefully i will have more to add to this thread as they grow up.
I've been attempting a grow log if anyone is interested.

Not sure if it's the lights or not but after 2 days I had a second set of leaves appearing on a White Habanero seedling. Took this on Saturday, it's a bit bigger now :)

Tatts said:
Not sure if it's the lights or not but after 2 days I had a second set of leaves appearing on a White Habanero seedling. Took this on Saturday, it's a bit bigger now :)

Nice work Tatts  :cool: . Looks like you are getting da hang of things!

Micca

Hi Harry,

Did you have any luck finding info on your caterpillar friend?
I have had this type of caterpillar before in my garden but never found out what it was exactly.
Luckily for me there were not many of them and got rid of them pretty quickly.

Micca

Back