• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Ya want our blizzard???

pepperfever said:
Oh yeah CH, I hate cold too!!!! Snow is better, at least it seems to be warmer when we have lots of snow. Those 60-70's sound very good to me. I always say snow for Christmas and the next day spring but never seems to turn out that way.

Potawie, ground wasn't frozen here either. Think the storm took care of that.

The ground will take a while to freeze up good even with the cold weather we're having. After snowblowing, my driveway is now full of muck:(

Here's our share of that storm. 15" of snow, that's 37.5cms for you metric folks with winds gusting to 50mph, 80kph with wind chills down to -25F, -30C. Didn't have a reason to leave the house for two days.

IMG_7076.jpg

Potato soup was the shiznit!

patrick - looks like you got some decent ammount of snow for your location.

I woke up this morning & temps are -15 to -18 (F) with windchills -33 to -38 (F).
the temp high for today is -4 (F) :woohoo::beer:

sidenote, sundays suck in ND, nothing is allowed to open up before noon :crazy: except gas stations & strictly grocery stores.

Looks like you had your share of the snow and cold Patrick.

CH I remember as a kid my grandparents lived in Worthington when blue laws were still around. They rolled up the sidewalks on Saturday night and absolutely nothing was open on Sunday except churches. Things have really changed since then.

pepperfever said:
CH I remember as a kid my grandparents lived in Worthington when blue laws were still around. They rolled up the sidewalks on Saturday night and absolutely nothing was open on Sunday except churches. Things have really changed since then.

the blue law is still around, just updated some. people told me the same thing you're saying, they said ND only changed it about 10 years ago.

the 1st week I was here, I woke up sunday morning & figured I'd do some errands only to find everything was closed, talk about WTF finding this out.

Iowa used to have the blue law too. For a while it was no alcohol sales allowed on Sunday, drove my parents batty, then they changed it to beer only sales from noon to 10 pm. I don't have any idea what it is now.

chilehunter I don't want anything to do with the kind of winters you guys have. Nope, no sir.

We got the windchills you got, Patrick, but without the snow. I put my youngest on a plane to Minnesota this morning. He was thrilled when it hit twenty here- finally put on his jacket. strange child. Loves the cold!

Well after what the east coast got for weather here comes another round in time for Christmas. They are comparing it to a storm in '82 which produced snow and cold down to -90 below...not going anywhere if we get what they predict. That is way too COLD for me!!!!!!

I don't see how you guys up north take it...

we have around 12-15" in our yard temps in the low 20's F w/o the frosty gusts that slaps you where the skin isnt covered -- much of our state is between 12 to 24" more sleet and crap coming for Christmas Eve -- My daughter cant wait to get her new snowboard out for a test drive

I am leaving in the morning driving from Fort Worth to Chicago...roads look like they will be in fair condition...

By now the roads will be good how long are you staying for? Bring a warm coat -- I mean a Northerners warm coat and not a wind breaker ;)

I wish you a safe journey AJ. We're getting more snow and have winter storm watch out for the week. Lots of snow and high winds expected so I don't know how many of the out of town kids and grandkids will make it for Christmas. It's definitely going to be white this year. We have 3 inches or more of new snow since last night.

PF- you near Minneapolis? I wonder if my son is loving it, now? Too cold for me. but I think he might move there when he's older. I guess we lucked out on getting a flight between snowfalls.

Celeste, no we're down in the lower SW part of the state. The watch has been updated to a warning. SD has already declared state of emergency for the next few days. I called all the out-of-towners, told them to stay put and we'll do Christmas once the weather clears up. So it'll only be the ones in town, if they can get here. I worry about them being out driving in this stuff, told them all to stay home where they are safe and warm.

"Have a safe holiday" is the message on my greeting card this year. Ya'll stay safe. Our forcast has changed, we got a southern warm front, so the temps not gonna go below forty but its gonna rain like hell through christmas. Since the ground is frozen we are expecting the ever so popular flooding. good thing I'm near the top of the hill!

I'm sitting here dealing with a foot of snow. In North Texas.

We have one snowplow in this city, powered by a geriatric mule and controlled by a team of drunk monkeys. Salt trucks? What the hell are those used for?!

Supposedly they called in plows and shit from Amarillo and Gainesville. Haven't seen any evidence of this.

Buffalo can clear 48 inches in a day or two. We can't even come close to clearing 4-12 inches in 36 hours.

We're supposed to be in Dallas tonight (tomorrow at the VERY latest) and am dealing with a mother in law who won't stop complaining because an inch of snow concerns her, whereas a foot completely freaks her out because she's never seen it before. Compare this to me-- born in Iowa, raised in Ohio, college in Boston. Where I'm from, this is just called Tuesday. Down here, it's a major event where people can't figure out how to get out their door, and if they do manage to get out the door, they find themselves in the car having a nervous breakdown because the car won't move.

I hate Texas. Merry fucking Christmas to you all.

Wow. I heard that Dallas got 3 inches last night for the first White Christmas since 1926. I thought that would be something everyone would be excited about there. We are just getting a mess of freezing rain and plain rain today. We still have a foot of snow on the ground though so we have a white Christmas too.

Back