• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

You know what really grinds my gears?!?

When your rolling in your G ride streaming Pandora, then a tight ass jam plays and thats when everybody wants to F ing call you.

Grass Snake said:
When your rolling in your G ride streaming Pandora, then a tight ass jam plays and thats when everybody wants to F ing call you.
Worse - when you're cranking your tight ass jams & right when you hit the light, your "shuffle all" kicks the children's song that randomly got into your iTunes. :doh:

I had that happen once before iTunes - was cranking Paul's Boutique on CD, rolling and getting super down with it & right when I got to a stoplight that country-ass banjo track played at top volume.

God that was embarassing.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Worse - when you're cranking your tight ass jams & right when you hit the light, your "shuffle all" kicks the children's song that randomly got into your iTunes. :doh:

I had that happen once before iTunes - was cranking Paul's Boutique on CD, rolling and getting super down with it & right when I got to a stoplight that country-ass banjo track played at top volume.

God that was embarassing.
I had something like that happen to me once in the hood and I almost got shot. Thank god the light turned green!

Here, they're called "swivel heads"... These dumb mFers (also called "tourons", tourist + moron) driving on the highway, at 35 mph looking at deer, stopping on the highway (speed limit 60) taking pictures. It's rural, a two lane highway smack in the middle of the highest Mule Deer population in North America. Deer are fucking EVERYWHERE!!! I wish I had a "spare truck" to smash into the bastards.

:ratswithhooves+tourons:

:gearsground:

What grinds my gears? Posting up ads on FB for my wares, only to get tons of likes (and the occasional comment about how cool my stuff looks), but not a single person buys anything. I swear its like the Internet's version of window shopping.

Seriously, I may get one person asking if I have this one particular thing that isnt close to what I posted in the ad, etc. or someone saying they'll orrder in a few weeks, and then nothing... I even go so far as to hold it in reserve for them but then they either ignore me or reply back a month later saying they bought it from someone else.

Scoville DeVille said:
Here, they're called "swivel heads"... These dumb mFers (also called "tourons", tourist + moron) driving on the highway, at 35 mph looking at deer, stopping on the highway (speed limit 60) taking pictures. It's rural, a two lane highway smack in the middle of the highest Mule Deer population in North America. Deer are f**king EVERYWHERE!!! I wish I had a "spare truck" to smash into the bastards.

:ratswithhooves+tourons:

:gearsground:
famous louis ck bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL9xCWphV8s

dash 2 said:
     People who don't know how to use a crosswalk. You know - the people who are too stupid/lazy to walk an extra half block to the stop lights and just stare at you while they stroll out in front of traffic. Then they purposefully s l o w l y   s w a g g e r in front of your car, seemingly just to prove a point and make everyone wait for their dumb ass.

That and the people who make sure to push the crosswalk button even when there are damn near zero cars on the road.  Why can't they just wait for a break in traffic, then walk across?  No!  They have to push the damn button, wait for the little green man, and make me wait while they oh-so-slowly drag their fat ass across the frigging street.  GRRR!
Scoville DeVille said:
People that say "epic". No it's not.

"Mmmm this pizza ("zah") is epic". No dude, you're just stupid.

The ocean is epic. Greek myths are considered epics.

And to those that like saying "epic fail"... 

It makes me want to give them a wooden shampoo.

attachicon.gif
middle_finger.jpg

EPIC post, Scoville!  :P

Scoville DeVille said:
It makes me want to give them a wooden shampoo.

attachicon.gif
middle_finger.jpg

That's epic dude. 
:D

Ya know what really grinds my gears? When I'm at the FM working my booth and someone comes by and asks, "what's the base of these sauces" 

I answer "they're all vinegar-based sauces". 

"Oh, I'd love to try them." they respond

OK, (walks customer through 7 flavor tasting)

Well, what'd you think?

"I don't like vinegar". 
:doh: 

And THAT really grinds my gears. 

Another thing that really grinds my gears - people that can't read. "Hot dog sauce? Never heard of hot dog sauce - is it only for hot dogs?"

All signage says "Lucky Dog Hot Sauce". No signage says "Lucky Hot Dog Sauce". 

or, "is this for dogs?"
I usually respond, "only if you really don't like your dog."

Do people think Rooster sauce is for Roosters? Is Tapatio only for mustachioed Messicans? Is Iguana brand only for Iguanas? Seriously - what the faq. :doh:

Here's a couple other things that grind my gears:

1. People who assume that because I'm a computer guy, I'll drop whatever it is I'm ding right that moment to fix their personal computer problem, or that they assume I have no life at all, and I just sit on my ass in front of the computer all day. It's gotten to the point where I've hesitated to even tell people I just met that I do IT work because then it'll be a 45-minute session of them asking me 50 zillion questions about various things, or how to fix this or that, only for them to forget 99.9% of what I told them. And I'm almost afraid to go out and do something, either myself or with friends, because then I'll get a phone call, text, or email from someone asking me for computer support. And ignoring them is hard, since my family members are some of the worst offenders, and as past events have proven, ignoring their requests for help is perilous at best, considering the number of not-so-nice followup's I've gotten from them.

There was even one instance where my father, without my permission or knowledge, effectively pimped me out to his coworkers for computer support at any time. I can't tell you how many calls I got during dinner, in the middle of the night while I was sleeping, etc., from his coworkers until they got the hint, and changing my number wouldn't help since my folks... "requested" (read: give it to us or else) to have my phone number to call me at any time, or else I would suffer some unpleasant consequences or be disowned from the family. I've even kept a list (not comprehensive, but just what I could remember from years' past) of times I was interrupted for personal computer support by friends and family:
  • literally as the first bite of my meal is going into my mouth
  • sleeping
  • in the shower
  • at work (helping with personal IT support for anything other than work PC's is an immediate firing offense at my job)
  • driving home from work
  • going out to eat
  • at the movie theater
  • on the toilet going to the bathroom
  • on vacation at Disney World
  • on vacation in Europe
  • on a general day off from work
  • about to set foot on an airplane or as a foot is in my car for a road trip
  • while going out on a date
  • hanging out with friends
  • driving on the highway or stuck in traffic
  • right as my housekey makes contact with the lock on my front door
Seriously, I can't make any of that up. On more than one occasion, I've very seriously considered changing my numbers and email address, if for no other reason, than to keep people from contacting me at all hours for tech support, but like I said, if I were to do that, I'd virtually be disowned by family and friends alike, if not for this reason, then for reason #2:

2. People who confuse me being introverted with ignoring them. I'm a classic introvert and one of those people who's perfectly OK with (and in fact, rather prefer) people not talking to me all the time, and vice versa. It's not that I'm shy or don't have much to talk about, I actually find full-on conversations to be mentally taxing and draining, and I'm perfectly OK with doing things by myself or being alone. I actually had a (now former) friend who felt constant, daily communication was central to any level of friendship, and she would call me almost daily and spend 45 minutes per day complaining about how much her life sucked, how badly she had it, etc. Never mind the fact that I'd never get that time back every day, it got to the point where it was actually causing me depression, and if I didn't pick up the phone or answer her text/email right away, I'd get half a dozen more in rapid succession, wondering where I was, what I was doing that was so important, and why I was ignoring her, when like above, I had other plans, was busy at work, or just wanted some time to myself to unwind and relax, or just mentally decompress from a tough day at work, and she was perhaps the worst offender when it came to contacting me at the most inconvenient of times (she alone was responsible for a fair chunk of the list above). When I tried to tell her to ease up a little bit, she got very belligerent and accused me of being a horrible person, etc, and eventually I had enough, so I walked away from her.

SadisticPeppers said:

1. People who assume that because I'm a computer guy, I'll drop whatever it is I'm ding right that moment to fix their personal computer problem, 

Spent a decade in IT - I know this well. 

Here's one that really ground my gears: 
I was an IT Project Manager - several years removed from desktop (or any) support services. 

The company I was working for was going down fast, and some of the former execs had already departed for greener pastures. 

I was in San Diego on a deployment gig, building out server rooms for a facility, and I get a call. It's the admin for one of the former top executives, who I knew had gone to a fortune 100 company. She says, "Peter really needs to talk to you - says it's urgent."

I'm thinking, "right on - he must have a project management or senior IT gig for me at his new company!", so I drop what I'm doing & take the call. 

He says, "Scott - I've got something going on and you're the 1st one I thought of!"

Now I'm super jazzed - surely this is a terrific opportunity, just when I need it most! :woohoo: 

He goes on to say, "remember that VPN you helped to install at my house 7 years ago when you were in support? Yeah - it's having some trouble - I can't access the Internet."

Me ~> :doh: 

I said, "uh, Peter - you don't work for this company any more. And I haven't worked in IT support for over 5 years. I'm in San Diego managing a 6-figure deployment project and you're interrupting me for this?"

He says, "yeah yeah, but since you installed it I figured you were the best one to help fix it. So what do I do?"

Fully intending to be a smartass and give him a dismissive response, I said "try rebooting the router".  And sonofabitch, it fixed it. :doh:  He says "thanks buddy, you're a genius!" and hangs up. 

Never heard from him again. The balls on that guy. 

Scoville DeVille said:

And to those that like saying "epic fail"... 

Those people are shit tards, indeed. Also, "fail" is a verb. "Failure" is a noun. When the hell did it become hip and cool to say "fail" instead of "failure"? Goddammit people are stupid.

SadisticPeppers said:
People who assume that because I'm a computer guy, I'll drop whatever it is I'm ding right that moment to fix their personal computer problem, or that they assume I have no life at all, and I just sit on my ass in front of the computer all day.

Paul, you need this. http://pjbrink.home.xs4all.nl/apekool/bofh/001.html

SadisticPeppers said:

1. People who assume that because I'm a computer guy, I'll drop whatever it is I'm ding right that moment to fix their personal computer problem, or that they assume I have no life at all, and I just sit on my ass in front of the computer all day. It's gotten to the point where I've hesitated to even tell people I just met that I do IT work because then it'll be a 45-minute session of them asking me 50 zillion questions about various things, or how to fix this or that, only for them to forget 99.9% of what I told them. And I'm almost afraid to go out and do something, either myself or with friends, because then I'll get a phone call, text, or email from someone asking me for computer support. And ignoring them is hard, since my family members are some of the worst offenders, and as past events have proven, ignoring their requests for help is perilous at best, considering the number of not-so-nice followup's I've gotten from them.

There was even one instance where my father, without my permission or knowledge, effectively pimped me out to his coworkers for computer support at any time. I can't tell you how many calls I got during dinner, in the middle of the night while I was sleeping, etc., from his coworkers until they got the hint, and changing my number wouldn't help since my folks... "requested" (read: give it to us or else) to have my phone number to call me at any time, or else I would suffer some unpleasant consequences or be disowned from the family. I've even kept a list (not comprehensive, but just what I could remember from years' past) of times I was interrupted for personal computer support by friends and family:

• literally as the first bite of my meal is going into my mouth
  • sleeping
  • in the shower
  • at work (helping with personal IT support for anything other than work PC's is an immediate firing offense at my job)
  • driving home from work
  • going out to eat
  • at the movie theater
  • on the toilet going to the bathroom
  • on vacation at Disney World
  • on vacation in Europe
  • on a general day off from work
  • about to set foot on an airplane or as a foot is in my car for a road trip
  • while going out on a date
  • hanging out with friends
  • driving on the highway or stuck in traffic
  • right as my housekey makes contact with the lock on my front door
Seriously, I can't make any of that up. On more than one occasion, I've very seriously considered changing my numbers and email address, if for no other reason, than to keep people from contacting me at all hours for tech support, but like I said, if I were to do that, I'd virtually be disowned by family and friends alike, if not for this reason, then for reason #2:

2. People who confuse me being introverted with ignoring them. I'm a classic introvert and one of those people who's perfectly OK with (and in fact, rather prefer) people not talking to me all the time, and vice versa. It's not that I'm shy or don't have much to talk about, I actually find full-on conversations to be mentally taxing and draining, and I'm perfectly OK with doing things by myself or being alone. I actually had a (now former) friend who felt constant, daily communication was central to any level of friendship, and she would call me almost daily and spend 45 minutes per day complaining about how much her life sucked, how badly she had it, etc. Never mind the fact that I'd never get that time back every day, it got to the point where it was actually causing me depression, and if I didn't pick up the phone or answer her text/email right away, I'd get half a dozen more in rapid succession, wondering where I was, what I was doing that was so important, and why I was ignoring her, when like above, I had other plans, was busy at work, or just wanted some time to myself to unwind and relax, or just mentally decompress from a tough day at work, and she was perhaps the worst offender when it came to contacting me at the most inconvenient of times (she alone was responsible for a fair chunk of the list above). When I tried to tell her to ease up a little bit, she got very belligerent and accused me of being a horrible person, etc, and eventually I had enough, so I walked away from her.
You work on computers! Do you know how to stop my screen saver from coming up when I'm trying to watch videos?

dash 2 said:

An IT classic. 

Back in my desktop support days it was the "please do what I tell you and click where and when I tell you to so we can fix your issue via telephone because I can't see what you're seeing, but I can walk you through it."

(User clicks ahead 37 steps)

Ok, do you see [thing to click to fix issue]? 

"No."

Why not? 

"I clicked ahead 37 times. 38 now.  Now I'm looking at kitten pics." 

godammit :doh: 

That really grinds my gears. 

Grass Snake said:
You work on computers! Do you know how to stop my screen saver from coming up when I'm trying to watch videos?
That's when I shot him, your honor...
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:

An IT classic. 

Back in my desktop support days it was the "please do what I tell you and click where and when I tell you to so we can fix your issue via telephone because I can't see what you're seeing, but I can walk you through it."

(User clicks ahead 37 steps)

Ok, do you see [thing to click to fix issue]? 

"No."

Why not? 

"I clicked ahead 37 times. 38 now.  Now I'm looking at kitten pics." 

godammit :doh:

That really grinds my gears. 

My dad's horrible with this. He thinks he's actually good with computers, which as you are aware is the most dangerous kind of user... It doesn't help when he effectively goes "SQUIRREL!" and starts telling me something completely different that has nothing to do with the issue at hand, especially when he cuts me off mid-sentence, which also really grinds my gears! That and he insists on reading every little thing on the screen when something pops up, even if I've seen it a million times and was in the middle of trying to tell him something.

And I swear, some of the users I deal with are the most entitled, narcissistic people in the world. They throw around the phrase "this affects patient care" (I do IT support for hospitals) from nurses and doctors who seem far too hung up on their titles for everything from their inability to print, needing paper inserted into the printer (yes, I have actually gotten calls for that at 10 PM at night), right up there to them being unable to access Facebook in the middle of the night. How their boredom because they can't get onto Facebook affect anything but my patience is beyond me.

There was even one nurse (I'm not kidding) who insisted on keeping all of her titles at the end of her name (all of which were longer and had more letters/acronyms together than her actual name), even threatening to go to the Union when we put out a new SOP for email signatures, in an effort to keep emails under several megabytes, since some people insisted on having grandiose signatures with pictures, links, paragraph-long quotes, and seemingly every single accomplishment they ever made starting in Kindergarten. One of my coworkers even got into some hot water because he decided to put the link to his personal IT consulting webpage on his work email signature, which was a HUGE conflict of interest, seeing as every email he sent out was effectively an advertisement for his consulting business on the side.

dash 2 said:

Ah yes, good old BOFH! I love reading these :) Thanks!

Shorerider said:
.....and this is why I like the fact that my occupation involves a skill that can't be transferred to home life.

I feel sorry for you IT guys.

SR.

Yep. Contractors and Home owners. J!@0924b9-3023(#)&$!@^!$)$*@_$!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't even get me started.

Shorerider said:
.....and this is why I like the fact that my occupation involves a skill that can't be transferred to home life.

I feel sorry for you IT guys.

SR.
Oh yeah - since changing to hot sauce guy it's just a different set of challenges - every wedding, bar mitzvah, or funeral it's "can you whip up a small batch of something for table favors?"
:doh:

Just sayin. It happens in every profession I think.

Could you imagine being an attorney? That's gotta be the worst.

Back