• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

You've got the juice on your fingers...Now what?!

I'm about to cut and dry around 400 peppers, and we all know that my fingers are going to be the host nation for the Capsaicin World Cup, so what do I do to remove the stuff?? :shocked:

Milk? Thinners? Raw alcohol? Butter? Sandpaper? Hit me with your secret, man! ;)

How many of you use those latex gloves, ala Dr. Kildare, BTW?

Nitrile? New to me...where can I get this? Medical store?

OK, just Googled it while I was typing and they do indeed look good. Just in case they are not available in South Africa, what can I clean my hands with? Milk is suggested, as is mechanics' soap (We have a brand called Flight, which sounds like the same thing)

You should be able to find nitrile gloves at any medical supply store, since they have almost became the standard now. But if not, scrub your hands with any cleaner that you would use to remove oil, since capsaicin is an oil. Then after you are done cleaning, if your hands are still burning, wash and soak in some whole milk.

If you can't find nitrile gloves but you do find latex gloves, use latex gloves, and maybe even double them up. And change them during processing if you get holes or rips in them.

I haven't tried the nitrile gloves yet, but I've used latex gloves many times and it is MUCH better than nothing. I haven't notices the capsaisin leaching through the gloves as others have stated, but I usually change the gloves more than once if I'm doing a lot of processing.

We can get latex gloves at any regular pharmacy around here.

Pics tomorrow???

Leave it on your hands and when lunch time comes you just have to suck your fingers for a spice hit! I haven't found anything to remove it from my hands, it just wears off eventually!

scrub with sandpaper and rinse off with salt water. LOL.

Seriously, i soak my hands in lukewarm milk, after soaping it .

I have read that in the past PF, i don't wear gloves because i am too dumb to feel pain in my hands from cap.

I'm convinced!

Can you imagine getting hold of your.....er, well, 'nuff said!

I'll have to put this on hold for a while, but I've found a meds store that has them, so I'll nip over there today and check sizes. (They don't carry XL, the silly buggers, and all chileheads need the biggest available, right?? ;-)

Found a meds store with them and had to purchase Lg, but they'll work. U$10 for a box of 100. (Nope, they don't sell smaller qtys)

Thanks again, guys and gal!

I must be insane because I love to handle my pods with bare hands and feel the burn. Cutting several hundred Nagas or Scorpions makes me feel alive, bring on the Hunan hands!

Of course I do a horror story of how I seriously hurt my wife during a whoopie session due to Capsaicin. It was about 5 hours after handling the pods and washing up. I wasn't even thinking about my hands any longer as I didn't have any burning going on, well, just a few minutes into it my wife started shrieking bloody murder and I quickly realized why! Needless to say, peppers are now my contraception method as my wife will not even allow me within 50 ft of her for days after cutting peppers.

stupidgiggleoe2.gif

I get my Nitriles at autoparts stores. Like 100 pairs for 4.99. They are powdered so just was them before handling your Pods:lol::lol:

I use dawn dish soap for getting the oils off. But if you want to use gloves nitrile is the way to go. order from harbor freight real cheap.

I go gloveless too, and I wash up with gritty soap and a lot of scrubbing. Using a scouring pad or rough towel helps too by rubbing a layer of skin off:)

Back