• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest 04-17/18-09 Popper Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are snails as well. Well, I have done all I can do. Must bid adieu for tonight. I look forward to seeing everyone's tribute to the almighty popper. Thanks everyone for a fun time. G'night all.

Damn AJ..leave it to a %$#@ engineer.. lol!

NP, I got 98th percentile in Mechanical Reasoning myself..BRING IT ON!

Behold, Mortals and ph33r me...

S6302649.JPG

• Habs stuffed with Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese, THSC Jungle Juice, Dill and Key Lime. Topped with Cayenne and Capers.

• Jalapenos, stuffed with chipotle cheddar/hab jack with pickled Bhut Jolokia. Wrapped in Pastrami, then finshed off with onion & mushrooms.

Let the nice meat fat sautee the onions/mushroom....

Then, Mozz, and garnished with a stripe of sriracha and a cilantro leaf. The colors of Tex-Mex!

Wonder at it's Glory...
S6302653.JPG

Served with Peppercorn Parmasan Ranch.

I brought out my vintage "truckker gurl" shot glass for ya boyz...whisky 'n PBR 'till hell gets frostbite!

S6302651.JPG

Closeup of the goodness..

S6302655.JPG

Muahahahhahahaaa!!!

I'm just getign started...... >:}>

stuffing...crab meat, shrimp, mozzarella/mexican 4/sharp cheddar cheese...

4 snails in each poblano afte stuffing with the "stuffing" the put the peppers in...

ready for grill...

041709h001.jpg

on the grill cookin'... as I said....slow cooking these...low heat for about 30 minutes...

041709h002.jpg

Outstanding entries QuadShotz! If only I could share in your popperdom as I am now sharing in your whiskey and PBRdom! Pastrami wrapping FTW!

Until tomorrow... When I unveil my popper masterpieces...

FiveStar said:
Outstanding entries QuadShotz! If only I could share in your popperdom as I am now sharing in your whiskey and PBRdom! Pastrami wrapping FTW!

Until tomorrow... When I unveil my popper masterpieces...

Thx man, we await your foodie goodnessesss!

*edit*
I let the poppers cool a bit..and WOW..betetr than I'd hoped..@^%$# pastrami is brilliant with jalas, mushrooms, adn stuff...w00t!

I planned on them being the "main course" with the salmon habs being the HOT appetizer bits. :D

Me needs more beer now....

last pic of the night...entry #3 is the multiple stuffed popper...and they are hot and delicious...

041709i001.jpg

Good lord! Look at some of these poppers! I'd hate to drop the soap in a group shower with AJ... Who knows what, or how many you'd end up stuffed with! :shocked:

Well, I felt bad about not having an entry, but after many beers and a Canucks win over the Blues, I decided to throw some standard Jala's stuffed with bacon, onions, green onions, feta, Texmex, and 2 yellow/orange serranos. Dad walked by and said "Bloody fool! Yea, you'll sleep good tonight!" :lol: If only he knew about the turduckin popper AJ made... Anyway here's my pic and to all a good night!

POPPERS001.jpg

Good God you guys have done good! I finished my poppers around 8pm cst but since I'm without internet (posting from my phone now) I can't provide pics. It's actually a good thing I finished early, because while the poppers I made were delicious they weren't what I wanted the final product to be. So, they provided me some good noshing while I was gawking @ the entries so far.

Tomorrow morning the internet people will come & fix my modem. Then I'll go to the store & get more peppers & fixins & get to cookin' again. I'll post my pics from both rounds. Speaking of rounds...I had another idea for a popper that I might just try to make a mini batch of. We shall see.

I only regret that tomorrow's batch of poppers will be done hungover & not drunk, lol. Maybe I'll do like AJ & make a bloody mary or two! Great looking stuff so far, guys! This is too much fun!

TB rightly said I went a bit OTT with mine so far, but tasted rather good anyways. :)

Pastrami-wrapped poppers is a taste you havta taste to belive...and the smoked salmon and habs is amazing.

Excellent work everyone. QS I loved the closeup! AJ I bet they tasted awesome. Did you have any trouble from the skin on the poblanos? I know I usually do when I smoke them. I had thought about smoking my rib poppers, but decided it was too much work to cook just poppers and I didn't have anything else ready.

now that I am awake and kinda sober I can say there were some awesome looking poppers that were made by all....they all look absolutely delicious....good job all...

looking forward to what others are going to cook for the rest of the contest....

wow. you guys have taken 'poppers' to a whole new level. they all look great. i have no idea how a 'winner' will be picked. i am so far behind in my 'popper' making it's not even funny. by that i mean what i stuff mine with and how i make them. i have some great ideas now though - thanks guys.

Ok, here's my entry #1.

Here's what I started with:

popperthrowdown001.jpg

Chicken simmering in the sauce & onion.

popperthrowdown003.jpg

Mixture ready to go! The chicken simply fell apart after simmering. Minimal cutting was needed. I ground up those dried pequins & the powder went into the mix. I've never used pequin powder before & I looooove it. Gave the mix a nice smokey flavor. I also added chopped onions. The rest of the mix is just leftover cream cheese, sharp cheddar, habs, & garlic powder.

popperthrowdown005.jpg

And, the finished product.

popperthrowdown006.jpg

I give them a 7/10. I need to tweak the recipe a bit. I still have a ton of the filling mix that I'll just add to.

I've decided to go ahead & try my entry #2 idea. No one's used the idea so far. It'll either turn out REALLY good, or really gross, lol. Back to cookin'!

Edit: Whoopsie! I took a shower, came back, & realized I had copied & pasted wrong, lol. THERE'S the finished product.

And, the more I think about it, I'm gonna save my time & money & leave the first batch alone. I'm going to focus more on my 2nd idea. Gonna go shopping now!

Impy you go girl! I'm currently going through the pile of pics I took last night. Will be posting those soon. My server is slow as death right now so it's taking forever to upload.

Cheers, TB.

great looking first entry Impy...great...

waiting on TBs pics....where are they?

Hey ya'll! Been fighting with the camera this morning as well as feeling the habs I ate last night doing the pachuco hop in my stomach. All's well now and no wallpaper burst into flame in the bathroom so it's a good 'thang.

Without further ado...here's THE PICS!

First I made a litte roux, added heavy cream and Mae Ploy Sweet Chile sauce, seasalt and fresh cracked pepper. Tasty stuff.

0016.jpg

While that was happnin', I got some of the party goers together.

0017-1.jpg

'Thangs were going smooth until senor tequila showed up..

0018-1.jpg

It all started coming undone when the fresh chorizo I purchased just for the occasion turned out to be bad. I was scrambling and had to turn to my ratholed stash of tery smoked salmon.
I took the salmon and added shallot, garlic, cream cheese, sour cream, pequin chiles, green onion and cheddar and jack cheeses
for a stuffing.

0019-1.jpg

More to come....

Cheers, TB.

So I took some 'peno's and habs and stuffed and baked with the smoked salmon stuffing.

0021-1.jpg

As I was a loser in the goat cheese and chorizo department I had to go with some more traditional bacon wrapped poppers as well.

0024-1.jpg

While all that was happnin', I was gettin' my mojo workin' on some cornbread popper pie. Got the cast iron preheated to 400f. while mixing the batter. Pour a little batter first to coat the bottom and then add the chiles with cheddar, then batter over the top.

0020-1.jpg

Got down brown!

0025.jpg

More to come ya'll....

Cheers, TB.

OMG you made the Popper Pie before me. It looks greatttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy fu&^%%%$%%%%%%%%!!!!!

Next time I'm keeping my ideas to myself and entering :lol:
Damn you TB that thing rocks!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back