• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest 04-17/18-09 Popper Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty then, popper prep started Friday night for me with....

5 lbs. of lard, 1 orange sliced thinly, 1 bunch of cilantro, and 4 lbs. of pork cut into 3 inch cubes. That's right, we're makin carnitas ladies and gents. The least healthy but most wonderful mexican pork dish known to man.

DSCN0402.jpg

Melt your lard over medium heat, marinate your pork in lime juice and salt for a few hours, then toss in all the above mentioned ingredients and cook for a few hours. Pork becomes tender, heat is raised a tad, pork gets crispy on outside. YAY

DSCN0406.jpg

And this is what they look like when you're as sloppy as I was when they were finished. (or when you take shitey blurry pics)

These wonderful heart-attack inducers were used in the construction of popper #1 this afternoon.

As a side note, the previous AND following presentations were brought to you by Bohemia Clasica, and Lunazul 100% pura de agave tequila.

DSCN0419-1.jpg

Popper #1 consists of Carnitas, chihuahua melting cheese (made from real chihuahua milk!), fresh de arbol (or arbots... We love you PMD!!), stuffed into fresh rocoto/manzanos. Served with cilantro-lime crema.

DSCN0410.jpg

The filling complete...
DSCN0411.jpg

Pre-bake...

DSCN0413.jpg

And post bake with crema. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! These were everything I'd hoped for. Crispy meat, gooey cheese, sweet and spicy peppers, and a cooling limey sour cream topping. RAGE!

DSCN0420.jpg

OMG FiveStar pulls the hattrick WTFFFFF?!?!?!?!?!!!

Popper #2... Here's the one I was really stoked about. Steak and Cheese! Yes that's right. Had to break out the serious mojo on this one. Screamin Jay Hawkins blared in the background during the prep for these guys.

Marinated some paper thin sliced steak in worschestershire, and sliced some rocotos and onions up.

DSCN0414.jpg

Everything got cooked up real good on Grandmas old cast iron griddle, and stuffed into ripe Jalas

DSCN0418.jpg

Once the peppers were soft, white american cheese went on top, and these guys were placed on mini split-top rolls lightly coated in mayo. Can a popper have a bun?

DSCN0423.jpg

This one ended up face down in the bun, but the closeup was too good to pass up. Two words... Holy S#@T! Mini steak and cheese popper sandwiches? These are the answer for "what kinda horse-de-vours you wanna serve at the wedding?" If they guests don't like em, they shouldn't be there.

DSCN0424.jpg

So that's it... Pure popper heaven on my end. I'm just glad the sun is starting to go down. Maybe now the light level will match my level of inebriation! Off to eat more poppers. Beer/tequila must be soaked up by something if I'm gonna stay up and see saturday nights poppers come in.

Fivestar...the carnitas poppers are supremely outta' sight and in the groove. Most excellent! Your kung fu is pretty damn good!

I'll be heating up the deep fryer tonight for more destruction.

Impy...gorgeous breakfast yum yums. You have earned all of your title of Popper Overlordess.

More mayhem begins in T-minus 2 hours...

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
Fivestar...the carnitas poppers are supremely outta' sight and in the groove. Most excellent! Your kung fu is pretty damn good!

I'll be heating up the deep fryer tonight for more destruction.

Impy...gorgeous breakfast yum yums. You have earned all of your title of Popper Overlordess.

More mayhem begins in T-minus 2 hours...

Cheers, TB.

Grassy-ass amigo! We await imminent doom! Nice new avatar btw. Cept you don't look quite as menacing now...

QuadShotz said:
Freakin' Bloody Amazing.

I have one idea left, but IDK if I can top that. Havta pull out the Chilehead Zen...
levitation.gif

Bring forth the levitational popperization.

Great to see this has become a festival of the popper. We should do this again next spring, only with live music and strippers.

Popper pie, breakfast poppers, poppers on a bun... Now I have seen everything. God, you can take me now (well as soon as I finish eating all my poppers). Outstanding every one of you.

Yeah, got some marinatin' going on now while I watch Nascar and drink beer...:D

S6302668.JPG

Poppers in Progress, Beer, Nascar...YeeHawwww!

Did manage to get nail my hands with a combo of overly hot water and habs...ow...feels like burning...

But, no pain, no gain eh? :cool:

QuadShotz said:
Yeah, got some marinatin' going on now while I watch Nascar and drink beer...:D

Poppers in Progress, Beer, Nascar...YeeHawwww!

Did manage to get burn my hands with a combo of overly hot water and habs...ow...

But, no pain, no gain eh?

I feel ya on the burn. Just did the dishes from tonight's throwdown, and I have an insane case of hunan hand. Those damn rocotos man, they do have a decent burn to them. Had to wrap my hand in TP while takin a leak to avoid spreading the heat around.

BTW, plenty of rocoto seeds to go around now. If anyone needs any, they're dryin on the counter as we speak. The 2 monster pods I posted pics of a while back have been seperated, as they're 2 different varieties, so monster rocoto yellow, and monster manzano orange will be ready soon as well.

Well ya'll, round two is naught to be for moi. I took some pics today for the new avatar and saw the camera battery was super low. I keep it charged up often. Not to be this time. Won't take a charge. So...without pics there is no evidence of poppers. I was just assembling ingredients for a pic too. TB FAIL!
Good 'thang there is alcohol!

Cheers ya'll, TB.

The way I see it...

First Place..TIE...AJ and Fivestar
Second Place..JayT
Third Place..Impy

Awwww, TB! At least let us know what kinda oozey goozey goodness was leakin outta that kitchen of yours! pics or no pics, I gotta know what you had in mind for round 2.

And this results business must go to a poll I say! How can you count yourself out of the running? You made sauce AND popper pie.

Lemme say that again... You made a Fu%^$n popper pie dude...

FiveStar said:
Awwww, TB! At least let us know what kinda oozey goozey goodness was leakin outta that kitchen of yours! pics or no pics, I gotta know what you had in mind for round 2.

I had three. First one was going to be cheddar stuffed 'peno's. I was going to do a beer batter, slice some onion rings and stick the popper through rings just snug enough to fit and then deep fry.
The second was going to be a mix of hab and 'peno's sutffed with goat cheese and pequins, garli, and shallot. I picked up some very nice ground chuck tonight that I was going to form around the poppers thus making a Jucy Lucy Meat Popper.
Lastly, I was going to use the same goat cheese stuffing and do habs and 'peno's stuffed, floured, eggwashed and then breaded with italian bread crumbs and into the deep fryer.

Without the camera its a mute point now. Mrs. Blues wants me to do up a Jucy Lucy burger for her on the grill now. Without chiles. Damn camera battery...

Cheers, TB.

Damn! I wanna see those saturn poppers w/ onion rings attached... and the juicy lucys... got a disposable camera? Wal-Mart will do ya a 1 hour digital setup, and you can just download them.

wait, you're probly drunk as I am at this point. Don't drive to Wal-mart.

Unless you've strapped the spikes to the front of the Datsun. Target practice!

I dunno...AJ's popper version of turducken and your carnitas poppers were simply pure genius! The beginning of the end was when AJ posted the pic where the chiles were all stuffed into each other for a vertical shot with the little pink floyd topping it off. Following that you posted the carnitas pics. I immediately coveted those poppers and was disappointed that I had not thought of it. Carnitas. I've only had pork that way a couple thousand times. TB FAIL! In between was JayT and his stinkin' foo foo that rocked big time with the puff pastry and presentation and then from left field..Impy with those knock out enchy poppers. Hers were not quite as 'purdy but made my mouth water the most. Then she came back with the breakfast poppers!

As for the popper pie, I'm not really much of a cornbread guy and made it at the suggestion of THP. Something of a novelty really. It tasted good but I am quite certain it was nothing compared to ya'lls supreme entries.

The fact is ya'll rocked hard and deserve all the credit. It was great fun which will be repeated. I'm already thinkin' Pizza Smackdown in 2 weeks.

Cheers, TB.

Yeah mates, my next thought was a curried chicken stuffed popper..but prolyl will just eat it now. Too many pretty pepper pr0nz. :)

Fun stuff tho from everyone.

Pizza shall be Epic though.... :D

QuadShotz said:
Yeah mates, my next thought was a curried chicken stuffed popper..but prolyl will just eat it now. Too many pretty pepper pr0nz. :)

Fun stuff tho from everyone.

Pizza shall be Epic though.... :D

Word... This has been an extremely fun event, and no doubt the pizza throwdown will be an event to remember. I know the girlfriend is glad this one's over. She was pissed she couldn't eat any of the poppers, what with her missin molars and all.

There is still sunday too, no? Or was the competition deadline midnight on Sunday? I can't rememberd. Ran outta Bohemia and made a B-double-E-Double-R-U-N for some negro modelo. Spring's got me downin the mexican beer.

ramblin now

On to the polls! May the best Popper'er win!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back