• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

2009 Grow Log

Out with the old, in with the new. I figure what better day to plant seeds than January 1st? Should make keeping track of how old these babies are fairly simple.

Started 9 plants, going for 10 total so I'm saving space for the Jan. 12th fatalii for the contest.

Left to right:
Front row: Goats Weed(homer), Fatalii(AJ), Beaver Dam(heirloomseeds.com), Trinidad Scorpion(AJ)
Back row: Trinidad Perfume(TheJollyRancher), 7pod(AJ), Chocolate Habanero F1(scoville), Beaver Dam, Fish Pepper(scoville)

3157699177_f81b75785f_b.jpg

This is the media they are growing in. Straight coco coir, no perlite. I'll add perlite to the mix they'll be transplanted into, but straight coco coir for seedlings.
3157730681_e4040aabb4.jpg

One note about working with coco coir: You should wet the mix in a large container and mix with your hands until it is good and moist before filling pots. If you plant seeds in dry media then go to water, the media will just float and the seeds may become dislodged. After this time, you shouldn't have any more problem with floating, and coco never gives you the trouble with water pooling on the surface the way soil can.

Toleman said:
What lights you using there?

Thanks, Chris

I have 3 2foot 26w t5 fluorescents with the 6500k(blue) bulbs. Just finished using them to grow some lettuce in my bedroom :)

I figure this will be plenty of light for a month or two. I'm going to probably get 1 more t5 and supplement with cfls

Thanks for your reply, Ive just ordered a 2 foot twin fitting and daylight T8 tubes.

They are 18w each so 36w total. Im going to be using these until it warms up a bit and my 50 plants can go into the shed under my envirolite.

How do you find the strip lights and are you using a reflector?

Chris

Toleman said:
Thanks for your reply, Ive just ordered a 2 foot twin fitting and daylight T8 tubes.

They are 18w each so 36w total. Im going to be using these until it warms up a bit and my 50 plants can go into the shed under my envirolite.

How do you find the strip lights and are you using a reflector?

Chris

I buy these lights right down the street @ texas hydroponics

2' t5 light $26

And no reflector at the moment, I currently just have the 3 lights attached to a piece of wood. They come with clamps that you can attach to a surface using a screw.

I've been reading about people here (mostly you but also some others) using coco coir, perlite,etc... do you guys buy this stuff every season or do you recycle that soil mixture for next seasons ? (shake the mixture out of the roots/container for reuse)

chilehunter said:
I've been reading about people here (mostly you but also some others) using coco coir, perlite,etc... do you guys buy this stuff every season or do you recycle that soil mixture for next seasons ? (shake the mixture out of the roots/container for reuse)

I believe coco is usable for several seasons before it eventually breaks down, however I haven't recycled any yet. Reasoning was that i pitched the plants in coco when I moved and this past season i couldn't make the trip to the hydro store so I went with soil.

However, this year I'm going to try and keep it for re-use. I believe you just need to get a bottle of enzymes from the hydro store that will break down any leftover roots (like cannazym or equivalent). I'm not 100% sure that is necessary though.

Also I recall reading somewhere that used coco makes an excellent soil amendment for use in the garden for improving drainage and aeration of heavy soils.

I

Not much of an update since it's been like 24 hours since i planted them, but I decided to stick a remote thermometer in the soil to monitor temperature.

3162301726_fb9470a28f.jpg

I don't have a heating mat for bottom heat so I just put the lights directly on the plastic to warm the air. Seems to be working, 81 is about ideal i believe.

Txclosetgrower said:
but I decided to stick a remote thermometer in the soil to monitor temperature.

I don't have a heating mat for bottom heat so I just put the lights directly on the plastic to warm the air. Seems to be working, 81 is about ideal i believe.

smart move on the soil temp...that's what matters when it comes right down to it...I run mine at 86F +/- 3 constant thru a thermostat with a remote sensor...

AlabamaJack said:
smart move on the soil temp...that's what matters when it comes right down to it...I run mine at 86F +/- 3 constant thru a thermostat with a remote sensor...

You think I should try and kick it up a few degrees or you think 81 will work? I have a couple more lights i can add.

I really need to get a heating mat, they make ones designed specifically for that seed starting box i have. So far i've had good luck using lights close by as heaters, last year I used incandescent bulbs until the plants sprouted then switched to CFLs. This year i just have the fluorescents sitting directly on the plastic.

looks like a good start man... i like that coco you got there how much was a bag of that??? good job man keep the pics coming

redeyes said:
looks like a good start man... i like that coco you got there how much was a bag of that??? good job man keep the pics coming

It's 18 bucks. I noticed that even though it's already expanded, it still expands a bit more when you add water. I figure the plants will stay in these cups for a good month after they break ground, then I'm going to re-pot them in coco/perlite. The grand plan for next year is to get a large trash can or other large container and use it to pre-mix the nutes and keep that inside, then either run drip hoses out to the plants or hook up a watering wand to a pump and hand water.

The last time i did coco, it was a pain in the ass to mix and pH the nutes each time i watered.

The last time i did coco, it was a pain in the ass to mix and pH the nutes each time i watered.[/QUOTE]

but it is worth it in the end man or atleast i think it is.. i mix up 5 gollons at a time and that seems to be working for now... might need more as they get bigger...

redeyes said:
but it is worth it in the end man or atleast i think it is.. i mix up 5 gollons at a time and that seems to be working for now... might need more as they get bigger...

Yeah i was doing it 1 watering can at a time. And that damned tomato needed watering like 2-3 times a day before i finally threw in the towel and cut it down. It needed a bigger pot, but i was out of coco to re-pot it. But now I live 5 miles from the hydro shop so no problems with running out of supplies this year :)

chilehunter said:

Personally I reuse all types of soil/soil-less but mix it with new soil or just mix it in the compost bin and use it only for larger/stronger plants.
Perlite is organic but does not really break down where coconut coir decomposes and can become unstable in different stages of decomposition giving a wide range of physical differences. Coir is becoming more standardized but its important to use stuff that is the right age, right coconut, proper partical size, and from a known reliable source where proper techniques and fresh water are used in processing

Back