• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

2009 Grow Log

POTAWIE said:
Personally I reuse all types of soil/soil-less but mix it with new soil or just mix it in the compost bin and use it only for larger/stronger plants.
Perlite is organic but does not really break down where coconut coir decomposes and can become unstable in different stages of decomposition giving a wide range of physical differences. Coir is becoming more standardized but its important to use stuff that is the right age, right coconut, proper partical size, and from a known reliable source where proper techniques and fresh water are used in processing
Never knew glass was organic. :shocked:

Its a volcanic glass or naturally occurring siliceous rock that is popped like popcorn, and from what I've read is considered organic

Perlite is like 75% silica... it's GLASS! it can't be organic. :shocked:

EDIT:
My window is organic too. :shocked:

I think even vermiculite(with asbestos) is considered organic or at least it is used in organic growing.

Sorry to de-rail your growlog TX

POTAWIE said:
I think even vermiculite(with asbestos) is considered organic or at least it is used in organic growing.

Sorry to de-rail your growlog TX

Lol this is THP man it's what happens. Plus y'all are keeping this thread interesting while I don't have much to report :)

Hey tx,

did you just throw the seeds into the cups and hang the lights over it ?

could you please give me a step by step again.. would appreiciate it if you could, thanks a bunch...

i have a dome
i have seeds
and ill get a few of those lights to get started

im assuming you need to wet the medium you are using before you out it into the cups ? then place a couple of seeds about 1/4 inch from the top ?

correct me if i am wron please.. thanks tx

Hotpeppa said:
Hey tx,

did you just throw the seeds into the cups and hang the lights over it ?

could you please give me a step by step again.. would appreiciate it if you could, thanks a bunch...

i have a dome
i have seeds
and ill get a few of those lights to get started

im assuming you need to wet the medium you are using before you out it into the cups ? then place a couple of seeds about 1/4 inch from the top ?

correct me if i am wron please.. thanks tx

Yep, sounds like you got it. The crucial part about germinating anything is the soil temperature. Since I don't have a heating mat, i have the light resting directly on the plastic lid of the seedling dome to heat the air and thus heat the soil.

But yeah, moisten the soil first, then put it in the cups (cut holes in the bottom for drainage, pretty large ones), then just using your pinky finger poke a hole up to the 1st knuckle. Toss 2-3 seeds in and cover. Then wait. If at all possible get a thermometer to monitor soil temp so you know whether to move the lights closer or farther away and try to keep it between 80-86 degrees.

Then once they all germinate you'll want to cull all but the strongest seedling in each cup. (You plant 2-3 seeds to improve odds, then cut back to one) remove the dome and drop the lights a little lower to keep the plants from stretching.

Another method of germination is to take a paper towel, fold it in half, fold it in half again then moisten it and wring most of the water out. Then unfold it once, put the seeds in and fold it back. Stick the wet paper towel inside a baggie, blow a little air in the baggie to puff it up and seal it. Then stick the baggie somewhere warm, like behind a mini-fridge or on top of a computer. Then once the seeds start to pop open and show little white tails, plant them tail down.

Txclosetgrower said:
Another method of germination is to take a paper towel, fold it in half, fold it in half again then moisten it and wring most of the water out. Then unfold it once, put the seeds in and fold it back. Stick the wet paper towel inside a baggie, blow a little air in the baggie to puff it up and seal it. Then stick the baggie somewhere warm, like behind a mini-fridge or on top of a computer. Then once the seeds start to pop open and show little white tails, plant them tail down.

That's how I do it but I don't do the 'blowing' bit.

excellent...

thanks

what about rock wool ? i bought the dome with a sheet of rockwool to fit inside of it, have you ever used it ?

if so, have you had to ph it down at all ?

Hotpeppa said:
excellent...

thanks

what about rock wool ? i bought the dome with a sheet of rockwool to fit inside of it, have you ever used it ?

if so, have you had to ph it down at all ?

I started lettuce in rockwool not too long ago for a hydro project. I did pre-soak the rockwool in a mildly acidic solution according to directions.

Here is my thread where i grew the lettuce in rockwool:
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=8058

It really starts on page 2

If you don't have a pH up & down kit, i suggest getting one like this:

41wCaUQcOCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/pH-Control-Kit-General-Hydroponics/dp/B000BNKWZY

so you think it would be required... hmmmm

more money !

grrrr

just spent a shit load on my hydroponic system..lol

im excited but its getting a little costly

once i get my camera ill take some shots and show you my set up... ;)

Hotpeppa said:
so you think it would be required... hmmmm

more money !

grrrr

just spent a shit load on my hydroponic system..lol

im excited but its getting a little costly

once i get my camera ill take some shots and show you my set up... ;)

If you're growing hydroponically, pH'ing the nutrient solution is a MUST. Some nutrients become unavailable to the plant outside an ideal pH range and will start showing symptoms of nutrient deficiency.

It's a good idea to pH your nutes growing in soil too but that's a bit more forgiving.

Back