• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest 2017 Inaugural Southern Hemisphere Growdown Throwdown Aji Amarillo

Right so I finally planted out today. Was away for the last week or so and didn't want to plant out before then as I wouldn't be able to keep an eye on the. Ones in a 30cm pot and one in a garden bed with drippers etc. Be interesting to see the differences between them over time.

They're both around 20cm tall.

gPe5QRJl.jpg

2mRCIfel.jpg

Did some more experimenting and final Amarillo has been planted Hempy method

This plant has the biggest pod so far, but has also been under LED the longest
IMG_6277.jpg

Besides Aquarillo in the Kratky here are the rest of the family
IMG_6279.jpg

And a final photo of first ripe Cayenne of the year (in October :woohoo: )
IMG_6281.jpg

qandeel said:
healthy looking baby. How can coffee grounds be good for the soil?

They've got some good nutrients in them, sort of an incomplete fertiliser, and organic! Dunno what exactly what nutritional value they have, but unlike a lot of other pesticides, they do more good than harm, and won't harm your pets either! I'm not certain. but I think that its only the soft slimy pests like snails and slugs that can't handle coffee. Apparently you can also spray them with a strong cup of coffee and it'll kill em!
Some people go so far as to use a large amount of coffee grounds in their soil mix, karoo did so this season, if I remember correctly, in his raised beds.

So I don't know the exact benefits, but it seems to be generally accepted as good, so I can't argue with that! I first discovered that coffee is good for the soil last year with my tomatoes, the ones I grew in pots were attacked by snails, so i used the grounds to deter them, and then those 'maters did a lot better than usual.

But yeah, I use it primarily as a pest deterrent, and any other benefits are a bonus :)

The final move for my plants, in to 120 liter sub irrigated planter ,partially buried to keep it cool , under 40% shadenet.
I have one main candidate and one backup plant .
Just to much trouble carrying plants in and out over the last month.

a5971a222896b50167e522c7694df31f.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
Big leaves on far left plant.

They're all looking very healthy and happy!

I'll go and grab a photo of my #1 now...
Thanks TBG. That's Audrey II and the leaves are quite huge. It's a strange plant though and all new growth seems different to the first lot of growth.
All my plants seem to have slowed down a bit, but weather's been weird lately. Hot then cold then rain then wind ...

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
Thar She Blows!

That's coffee grounds around the edge of the pot in case you were wondering. It stops snails and slugs, as is good for the soil too!

Pods in October... that's pretty crazy. Was the plant overwintered? Or did you start really, really early?

Great Work!
That's the Cayenne experiment (Tarbal) that started in April and damn the pods are super hot (for cayenne anyways). I'd rate them hotter than my white habs from last year.
Your plant is looking better every new pic. Keep it up.

karoo said:
The final move for my plants, in to 120 liter sub irrigated planter ,partially buried to keep it cool , under 40% shadenet.
I have one main candidate and one backup plant .
Just to much trouble carrying plants in and out over the last month.
Very nice Jaques. Plants are looking ... well ... very strong (no other word really) and me thinks you will have the best formed plants for pods, but time will tell.

I knew catch up would happen. Just not that quickly. Gonna have to rethink strategy.
Back to the drawing board muttering Keep Amarllos On Steroids...

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
Wow! Looks fantastic! Lots of buds too!
Thank you ,
this has been the most amazing learning experience.
The two plants that I have singled out for special treatment have outgrown every other pepper that I have ever grown by far.
Peppers love CFL lights , close up , and they really do well with lights 24/7 or lights 16h and sun 8 h.
They do not need rest!
Cool early Spring nights of less than 8°C do stunt their growth a lot.

Not sure how much positive advice I'll get from you lot, but I'll try for some anyway :rofl:

Nah - you guys are the best!

Anyway, Should I top it?
DSCN2255.JPG

Its looking fairly lanky to my eyes, but I want to hear what everyone else's thoughts are before I do anything drastic.
Also put in a stake, partly for support but also as a measuring stick - its roughly 18cm yesterday.
Just was looking back through the thread now, and can't believe how much its shot up in the last two weeks, old pic for comparison:
20171005_123429.jpg

No sign of buds yet, just a matter of time now (unless I top it I guess)

Doesn't look like we're getting any more competitors at this stage, so its gonna be a close and tight race!

Bring. It. ON!!!

Have a look at post #223 - third photo. The two middle plants are a good comparison. Second plant was left alone and forked naturally. Third plant was topped at around your plant size.

It's a tough choice, but you will lose around two weeks growth if you do top due to shock. Then it will either chug along slowly, or go mental. Bit of a gamble.

You got two Amarillos right? Top one and leave the other to do it's own thing and compare end results.

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames
 How I love that quote, too funny!

'yall please remember the Aji Amarillo will soon act like a sprawling zucini plant as it matures. You will be surprised!

Half the fun :shh: ;)

karoo said:
Great pics of those pods KAOS.
So , I appologise for the picture quality in advance.
Plants are doing well , but a different pod shape. :confused:  :confused:
About 8 new pods on plant nr 1.

Thanks Jaques - Not bad for an iPhone. I used an app called camera plus.

Plant looking great. Plenty of pod capable nodes there. The flower definitely looks baccatum so lets wait and see if she's Amarillo. Might be a first pod variation thing.

Back