• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest 2017 Inaugural Southern Hemisphere Growdown Throwdown Aji Amarillo

Is it just me or is there something special in finding a guardian on your plants - Kill Agent On Security

IMG_6454.jpg

Aha!

125 days after sowing, or 118 days after germination, I finally have buds! Yes, budSSSsss - there's two of them! The plant has just forked, as in I reckon it happens overnight because it's three sets of leaves away from opening up properly, and extremely young. The buds are so small that the camera wouldn't pick up on them. I'll try to take a photo in the coming days. But :woohoo:

Karoo was right, not even a week and I've ditched the idea of topping!

Here I come!!!!!!!! :onfire:

Nice work all. Mine are slowly chugging along. They got a bit battered by some strong winds and intense sun the week I transplanted them so there was a bit of sunburn and leaf loss. In hindsight I probably should have let them harden off a bit more but they're doing well now. No signs of pods yet.

karoo said:
Great pics of those pods KAOS.
So , I appologise for the picture quality in advance.
Plants are doing well , but a different pod shape. :confused:  :confused:
About 8 new pods on plant nr 1.
Jaques - I've got some pods coming out very similar to yours, so it's probably a pheno thing. How they doing btw?

AmarilloBaby.jpg

drathag said:
Nice work all. Mine are slowly chugging along. They got a bit battered by some strong winds and intense sun the week I transplanted them so there was a bit of sunburn and leaf loss. In hindsight I probably should have let them harden off a bit more but they're doing well now. No signs of pods yet.
Post some pics Drathag. Always nice to see progress. We've had some strange weather this side also. High winds and rain non stop. At least the days are getting longer.

KAOS said:
Post some pics Drathag. Always nice to see progress. We've had some strange weather this side also. High winds and rain non stop. At least the days are getting longer.

Can do! I only hesitated as they're pretty sad looking at the moment. most of the older, lower leaves were the ones that didn't make it. Turns out the birds around here love digging in the mulch too... as much as I'm happy with them eating bugs, they managed to snap a seedling or two (not my amarillos luckily) so I've also covered the garden beds with bird netting too.

uRRPsNjl.jpg

vKfuzuTl.jpg

drathag said:

Can do! I only hesitated as they're pretty sad looking at the moment. most of the older, lower leaves were the ones that didn't make it. Turns out the birds around here love digging in the mulch too... as much as I'm happy with them eating bugs, they managed to snap a seedling or two (not my amarillos luckily) so I've also covered the garden beds with bird netting too.

uRRPsNjl.jpg

vKfuzuTl.jpg
Not looking too bad! I dare say that they'll start to take off when the weather improves, they look better than mine did before it took off, so you'll be in a good position!

Mine seems to have slowed down a bit, and I still can't tell about the buds. Time will tell...

And KAOS, what's the measurement of that pod? Looks like it'll be ripening up in a few weeks, unless it's gonna get bigger...

What's powelly and LocalFart been getting up to? Hope they haven't started harvesting yet...

drathag said:

Losing some of the older leaves is not always a bad thing. It takes energy to sustain them that could otherwise be used for new growth.

+1 on them busting out as soon as the weather improves.

What are you feeding them out of interest and is that wood chip mulch you using? Only reason I'm asking is that some mulches can be nitrogen depleting.

Looking good otherwise drathag. Season is still young ...

KAOS said:

Losing some of the older leaves is not always a bad thing. It takes energy to sustain them that could otherwise be used for new growth.

+1 on them busting out as soon as the weather improves.

What are you feeding them out of interest and is that wood chip mulch you using? Only reason I'm asking is that some mulches can be nitrogen depleting.

Looking good otherwise drathag. Season is still young ...

I can see the very small beginnings of leaves starting above where the old leaf nodes so hopefully they'll start pushing them out soon. Some of the other varieties in the same garden bed have already started to do so.

The mulch is pea straw which supposedly adds nitrogen as it slowly breaks down. For food I'm making my own liquid from a combination of dynamic lifter and Manutec Trace elements. Credit where credit's due; Jase4224 came up with this and wrote about it here. I tried it for some of last year and had good results. 

drathag said:

I can see the very small beginnings of leaves starting above where the old leaf nodes so hopefully they'll start pushing them out soon. Some of the other varieties in the same garden bed have already started to do so.

The mulch is pea straw which supposedly adds nitrogen as it slowly breaks down. For food I'm making my own liquid from a combination of dynamic lifter and Manutec Trace elements. Credit where credit's due; Jase4224 came up with this and wrote about it here. I tried it for some of last year and had good results. 

Thanks for the link. I'll see if I can find equivalent products this side as I'm always game for experimenting.

Well last night we had some pretty insane weather again... wind gusts as high as 80km/h at some points.

Happy to report all is well and it doesn't look like a single leaf has been torn off. I imagine being exposed to the last lot of harsh wind has forced the plants to harden up a bit and they were ready for what was thrown at them this time.

drathag said:
Well last night we had some pretty insane weather again... wind gusts as high as 80km/h at some points.

Happy to report all is well and it doesn't look like a single leaf has been torn off. I imagine being exposed to the last lot of harsh wind has forced the plants to harden up a bit and they were ready for what was thrown at them this time.
Haha good to hear plants are okay. Winds just got here 2 hours ago lol. Any if he weather I should be wary of coming my way?

Back