• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

An ounce is 28g?

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Second, why would anyone use FL OZ for a powder or dried good? It's dry weight. Apples to apples and all that,

Fluid doesn't mean liquid, it means it is not solid mass and flows easily, so yes it can pertain to a fine powder.

If measuring in FL OZ, just state it. If selling in weight, just state the weight. Done.

;)

In physics, a fluid is a substance that continually deforms (flows) under an applied shear stress.

:)

Most people think liquid because of the term fluids (as in you need more fluids) and things like brake fluid.

Fluid ounces also brings up another subject- Honey.

A 2 cup/1 pint canning jar of liquid would typically be labeled as one of the following if it's a liquid sauce-
2 cups
16 oz
16 fl oz

that same 2 cup jar of honey is usually labeled (about) 1.5 pounds, 24 ounces. Apparently honey is heavier than other liquids. Who Knew???

Now should we mention Net Weight?

Well since I did~~~ Net weights apply to things like pickles, tuna fish, olives...items that are packed in a liquid that is generaly not considered to be eaten. When you buy a tin of olives, you don't use the water/brine, it is drained off and the weight of the olives remaining in the tin should equal the net weight listed on the label.

Interesting,..I guess I tend to equate fluid to liquid because I need to list the volume of my bottles in FL OZ, which has nothing to do with actual weight. Or maybe it does? It is the "NET WEIGHT" - hmm

So yeah - totally agree. That's interesting. But the main point we agree on - If you're buying a powder listed as "1 oz" the assumption or expectation should be "I am going to get 28 grams of something".

At least that seems to be the standard in the dry ingredients world that I've seen when sourcing. Maybe one of the powder sellers can correct me if I'm wrong. It certainly would not be the 1st time. :cheers:
salsalady said:
Fluid ounces also brings up another subject- Honey.
A 2 cup/1 pint canning jar of liquid would typically be labeled as one of the following if it's a liquid sauce-
2 cups
16 oz
16 fl oz
that same 2 cup jar of honey is usually labeled (about) 1.5 pounds, 24 ounces. Apparently honey is heavier than other liquids. Who Knew???
Now should we mention Net Weight?
Well since I did~~~ Net weights apply to things like pickles, tuna fish, olives...items that are packed in a liquid that is generaly not considered to be eaten. When you buy a tin of olives, you don't use the water/brine, it is drained off and the weight of the olives remaining in the tin should equal the net weight listed on the label.
Interesting stuff - at my various FM's we have at least 5 different honey sellers - they all use different container types (honey bear, large jars, small jars, etc) but they all sell their honey by the lb. 1/2 lb, 1 lb, 5 lbs, etc.
:cheers:

Just looked at my powders and rubs, almost everything is NET WT, some are just OZ or G, but none are FL OZ.

Yeah afaik it means minus the packaging. I didn't know it also meant minus oils and water etc.

The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah afaik it means minus the packaging. I didn't know it also meant minus oils and water etc.
Me either - god bless Ann - I was 1000x more ignorant before I met the corrector.
:D
(Better put: I learn from SL almost daily and am very grateful for it)

I wonder how they handle canned fruit packed in syrup - as compared to sardines packed in water/oil. ?

net weight on spice containers,,,,do they contain a non-edible dessicant packet? Net Weight would probably be required for that scenario and maybe the spice makers just list it all as net weight for convenience?

When I do the Southwest Spice Mix, the volume is about 1 cup and it's portioned by weight using the digital scale to 4 oz, but I always use the grams setting as it's more "fine tuned".

LDHS, 5 liquid oz would be 5 oz net weight and 9 Tbsp? :lol: How would tat look on the label? "9 Tbsp/ 148ml" "lol"
pretty sure it applies to fruits also.

PS---don't make me go there LDHS! :lol:

salsalady said:
LDHS, 5 liquid oz would be 5 oz net weight and 9 Tbsp? :lol: How would tat look on the label? "9 Tbsp/ 148ml" "lol"
Kind of odd! lol

At the same time, nutrition panel is listed as "serving size 1 tsp" - so I guess there's just zero consistency. :rofl:

salsalady said:
net weight on spice containers,,,,do they contain a non-edible dessicant packet? Net Weight would probably be required for that scenario and maybe the spice makers just list it all as net weight for convenience?

Nope but they ALL say NET WT, all my powders and rubs etc., all except the Texas Creek Southwest lol. And ONE other says OZ, and an international says G.

It just means minus the container. You don't have to put it but then someone may assume it is gross weight.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Kind of odd! lol
At the same time, nutrition panel is listed as "serving size 1 tsp" - so I guess there's just zero consistency. :rofl:
never thought about that, but you're right. The NIPs also state Number of Servings per container so I guess the consumer can figure it out.

The Hot Pepper said:
Nope but they ALL say NET WT, all my powders and rubs etc., all except the Texas Creek Southwest lol. ( Can't follow the crowd all the time!! :lol: :evil: ) And ONE other says OZ, and an international says G.

It just means minus the container. You don't have to put it but then someone may assume it is gross weight.

So we've come full circle - expectation for powder would be dry net weight.

If it's the difference of a gram or 2 "light" then the comment about not zeroing out the scale might be spot on.

I'd privately contact the seller and try to resolve it amiably. Probably a simple oversight.

Good luck IP.
:cheers:

not i-anything....tablet... and yes...quotation issues....

think I got it fixed enough~
Gotta leave the restaurant and pick up thekid...will get back to a NORMAL keyboard in a bit~

Great discussion though.
sheesh! I couldn't even add :rolleyes: :lol:

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Seriously, if I was ever raided I could only imagine the look on the Feds faces! Thousands of baggies, many types and digital scales.
move to Washington or Colorado....No Worries!  :cool:  :D

Dang it, Boss!  Now you got me looking at everything in the house.  Most sauces and spices say "Net" but the hair jel says "5.1 oz (150ml)".

Pinto beans- net weight
Top Ramen- net weight
Sea Salt- weight only
Olives- NET DR WT (net drained weight)

salsalady said:
Dang it, Boss!  Now you got me looking at everything in the house.  Most sauces and spices say "Net" but the hair jel says "5.1 oz (150ml)".

Pinto beans- net weight
Top Ramen- net weight
Sea Salt- weight only
Olives- NET DR WT (net drained weight)

Watch your sodium SL!

:surprised:

Back