• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

An ounce is 28g?

compmodder26 said:
Hmm, if this is related to our recent transaction, I want to make it right too.  I didn't measure mine by weight, I went by volume.  I have some 1 oz volume shaker jars that I used as my measuring tool.  I always thought it was by volume and not by weight that the powder was measured.  Either way, not using an accurate measuring tool for weight or volume is not the best way to go.  If I shorted you on any of the bags you bought, please let me fix it.
Dry goods are measured by weight typically, while liquids are measured by volume.

Interesting topic .but quite relevant  ...I relate to the Metric System well...as I use it all the time @ work...
So as a personal preference...Metric  wins over Imperial...DH always comment on the 2 when he's working on our cars.

Metric is Universal..The United States is now the only industrialized country in the world that does not use the metric system as its predominant system of measurement.

It's  so old school. :rolleyes:

Fluid ounces is mass not weight so it's a LOT easier to know how much you are getting when ordering. That's why when you order bottles they are sold in fluid ounces, like a 5 ounce woozy or a 4 ounce spice bottle. How do they know the spice is going to weigh 4 ounces? They don't. That's fluid oz.

So now think of when you are ordering retail spices. You see 5.33 ounces, or 3.99, or 7.8... but it looks like a 4 oz bottle. Confusing. They are using weight. Some spices go by fluid, which makes much more sense. If it says 4 fluid ounces and all the spices of that size bottle do... much easier.

And just to reiterate, a fluid is not always liquid. If you pour fine pepper powder into a Pepsi bottle it will take the shape of the bottle because of fluid movement. Pods will not. In science the definition may be more strict but in food, fluid can mean free flowing and it's used for consistency. 

Back