• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

An ounce is 28g?

you got that right!  First thing said when people ask about going into the sauce business is- "convert your recipe to grams, even the liquids".

filmost said:
This thread is proof that metric is the way to go. Well...that is if precision is your goal.  :P
You are damm right. I come home with "1.27 lbs" of ground beef.
I put it on my scale and it says "1lb 6-3/8oz" or some such shit.
I can't divide that by 4 very easily so I hit the metric button.
It is much easier to divide 576g by four to make even burger patties.

I can even do that drunk.

586 / 4 = 144g = 5.07945052074oz. :rofl:

:rofl:  Yea.... I'd like to see you do that drunk longhand!   :lol:  So, is that a Methow Quarter Pounder?  :lol:

But still begs the question:
What is the pepperhead eq. to bud, bowl, joint and lid?

I only know one.
A Pod=  a burn for one person
????=  a burn for a couple people
????= a burn for a few of people
????=  a burn for a week for one or more, or a lot of people.

:P :P :dance:

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
So SL - is the "net wt" on my bottle 5 oz by volume? Because uh, you can't eat the glass and cap?
:)

No its not by volume. Its by weight. Hence the "Net Weight".

mx5inpa said:
No its not by volume. Its by weight. Hence the "Net Weight".
He knows that. Stop trying to get him going, it's evident. You guys got into it last time and now you're pretending not to see his sarcasm or smilie to get some argument going. Fail.

Gotrox said:
But still begs the question:
What is the pepperhead eq. to bud, bowl, joint and lid?

I only know one.
A Pod=  a burn for one person
????=  a burn for a couple people
????= a burn for a few of people
????=  a burn for a week for one or more, or a lot of people.

:P :P :dance:
We should come up with something for that, other than the obvious "it's a jalapeno burn" or a 7Pot burn".

One accurate measure that is THP-specific is "beers deep".  
"I was 4 beers deep into making the chili when I realized I'd forgotten the onions."

Another is using beers as a measure of time.  "Saute the onions for 2 beers or until golden".  

(I think Paulky_2000 started that one :) )

The Hot Pepper said:
He knows that. Stop trying to get him going, it's evident. You guys got into it last time and now you're pretending not to see his sarcasm or smilie to get some argument going. Fail.

I got the sarcasm about eating glass. But based on his other posts I saw no reason to think he wouldnt confuse the rest.

salsalady said:
you got that right!  First thing said when people ask about going into the sauce business is- "convert your recipe to grams, even the liquids".

Yep - this was the best advice I received as well early on. Made it much easier to work with the copacker on scaling out my recipes. If I'd given them to him in cups and teaspoons and such he would have laughed me out the door. 
:cheers: 

Of course when he formulates he uses lbs. go figure, 150 gallon kettle. 
;)

That's a good article, Joyner's.  All I can say is- I think the FDA is underestimating the number of people who know that 28 g= 1 oz.  ;)  :lol: 

I happen to have 2 bottles of sauce sitting right next to me.  A Puckerbutt I Dare You Stupid and a Gunther's Gourmet Pineapple Mango Hab hot sauce.  The Puckerbutt is a very hot vinegar based, liquidy sauce with a dropper top.  Gunthers' is a thick fruity mild/medium sauce.  Both are 5 oz.

Puckerbutt lists on the NIP as
Serving size 1/4 oz
servings per container- about 20

Gunthers lists-
Serving Size 1 TBSP (14g)
Servings per container- about 10

No consistency as it's never been required.  Manufacturers can use what's logical for their product. 

Just saw fil's post.  I agree with you!  It's simple to understand.  What us Yankee's don't easily relate or know is how much is 200ml?  I know, from working with these things for years that 200ml is just under a cup.  My 16 oz/2cup salsa = 454ml.   It's just what a person is familiar with.  If/When the US ever catches up to the rest of the world with measurements, it'll take 1 generation and everyone will know about "how much" 150 ml is (aka a small woozy bottle ;) )

IIn places that use metric, 250ml is considered the metric cup. 200ml is the unit for the Japanese cup. This trips me up for the longest time when I moved to Japan and was trying to figure convert recipes, most converters use the standard metric cup.

Also in terms of water (may out may not work for other fluids, I've never tried) 1g = 1ml. And in terms of any fluid milliliters and cubic centimeters may be used interchangeably.

If you think about it gram and liter measurements are easiest.

I didn't know that about the metric cups differences.  That would make for problems as you described.   But when you're aware of the difference, adjusting for it is so easy.

IP...I like all the answers so far...and may not have gotten quite far enough to see this somewhere else. I also believe nobody on here is aiming to rip anyone off.

When I post up powders, I put a weight range as it depends on the powder. (by actual weight not volume) I sell a range of powders and blends. Some pods have a higher sugar content and will weigh more per bag, some less. My blends may include some salt which tips the scales. I advertise that the bags will be full and that the weight range can be anywhere from .5 to well over an oz for the blends. 

Regardless of weight...when you look at what you got, was it worth what you paid? That's really all matters in the end. 

Back