• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: MoA ferments

Updates to light shelving:

AnnsGlog2014updatetolights1_zps75e50865.jpg

AnnsGlog2014updatetolights2_zps17b151cb.jpg

Like the way mylar insulated car shades keep light in.

Seeds in flats after KN03 and H202 overnight soak:

Anns2014Glog1-19-14flat1_zps44788eea.jpg

Flat 2: "others"  (list posted later):

Anns2014Glog1-19-14flat3_zpsba6a829a.jpg

Blurry pic above? Finished this at 5am. Pic at 8am. On manual, I moved. :rofl:

Flat 3:
Anns2014Glog1-19-14flat2_zps4d14086f.jpg

Flat 4:

Anns2014Glog1-19-14flat4_zps62347ea2.jpg

List:

The Hab and Bonnet Family:

Bahamian Goat (Greg/PIC1 and Grant/JungleRain)
Brazilian Starfish (Judy/Pepper lover)
Chocolate Habañero (mine)
Elongated Black Hab (Refining Fire)
Habajolokia Brown (Old Barn Nursery/Buckeye)
Harolds St. Bart x West Indies Hab (Meatfreak/Stefan)--planted 1-21-14
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (mine and seed saved from Pia/Sanarda, others)
Jamaican Red Hab (mine 2013 from Walkgood 2012-2013)
Jamaican Red Mushroom (Refining Fire)
Peach Hab (Jason/GA Growhead)
Red Squash/Mushroom (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Scotch Bonnet Brown (Judy/Pepperlover)
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama (Meatfreak/Stefan)--new planted 1-21-14
Scotch Bonnet Long (Greg/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet Market (Greg/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet MoA red (Greg/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet MoA yellow (Steve, Ramon/Walkgood/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet TFM (mine)
White Hab Stinger Pod (Paul G)
White Habañero (Jeff/Bodeen, Jason GA Growhead)
Choc Hab Hand Grenade F3 (Tasty Peppers/Meatfreak/Stefan)—planted 1-21-14

The Supers:

7 Pod Brown x Naga (mine from Jamie/Romy6 2012)
Barrackpore (Jamie/Romy6  and Jason/GA Growhead)
Bhut Orange Copenhagen (Jason/GA Growhead)
Black Naga (JJJesse and Pia/Sanarda)
Bonda Ma Jacques (mine)
Bubblegum 7 (Pia/Sanarda and Jason GA Growhead)
Burgundy 7 Pot (Jeff/Bodeen seed)
Butch T (Refining Fire and Judy/freebie—THANK YOU JUDY!)
Butch T Yellow (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Choc Bhut x Yellow 7 F5 (Grant/JungleRain )
Chocolate Barrackpore (Jason/GA Growhead)
Chocolate Bhut (Judy/plover THANK YOU!/Buckeye)
Chocolate Moruga (Refining Fire)
Daisy Cutter MA Yellow (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Douglah (mine/Jamie Romy 6 from 2012)
Fatalii White (Greg/PIC1)
Fatalii Yellow (mine)
Funky Reaper (Scott/Devv)
Jay’s Peach Ghost Scorp (Jason/GA Growhead/Hillbilly Jeff)
Madballz (Jamie/Romy6  and Jason/GA Growhead)
King Naga (probably same as King Naga, Judy/pepperlover)
Naga Tabasco (Grant/Junglerain)
Orange 7 (Judy/Pepper lover, freebie!)
Orange Thai (THANK YOU JASON! GA Growhead!)
Peach Bhut (Judy/pepperlover, Ramon/Walkgood, Jeff/Hillbilly Jeff)
Pimenta Elisir Bhut x Neyde (OBNursery/Buckeye) aka “Lisa 1”
Pimenta Lisa F-2 (Meatfreak/Stefan) aka "Lisa 2"--planted 1-21-14
Red Jonah (Jamie/Romy6)
Red Thai (sample seed)
Trinidad Scorpion Red (Romy6/Jamie 2012 seed)
White 7 (Jason/GA Growhead, Jamie/Romy6)
White Bhut (Ramon/Walkgood)
Yellow 7 Giant (mine and Jason/GA Growhead/Judy)
Yellow Bhut (my seeds from 2012/Hillbilly Jeff 2013)
Yellow Brainstrain (mine/Judy)
Yellow Jonah (Grant/Jungle Rain)
Yellow Moruga (mine)
Yellow Primo (Jamie/Romy6)
Tabasco (mine)

Seasoning:

SBYellow x Yellow Brainstrain (Meatfreak/Stefan)
Hawaiian Sweet Hot (Old Barn/Buckeye)—annuum  
Aji Limon (my seed)
Brown Egg (Jason/GA Growhead)
Georgia Black (Jason/GA Growhead)
Peruvian Serlano (Jamie/Romy6)—hope these become sweet and fruity like pods Jamie sent
Tobago Seasoning (Judy/pepperlover)
Trinidad Perfume (mine)
Trinidad Scorpion Sweets (Jason/GA Growhead)
West Indies Hab (Pia Sanarda)
Yellow Bouquet (Kevin,/Wayright 2012, 2013 my seed)
Yellow CARDI (mine from seed)
Goat’s Weed (Shane/ Judy)

The Southwestern/Tex Mex:

Pasilla Bajilo (mild, sample seed and mine)
Poblano (mild, sample seed and mine)

Annuums and Standbys:

Big Jim Numex (sample seed and some other company)
Biker Billy (Old Barn Nursery/Buckeye Pepper)
Joe’s Cayenne (Buckeye)
Cayenne (mine)
Cracked Jal/Jalapa (mine)
Giant Jalapeño (mine)
Jal M—(mine)
Purple Jalapeño (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Jalapeños from Stefan/Meatfreak--will update when seeded
Jalapenos from Stefan/Meatfreak--will updated when seeded
Padron
Gochu (meatfreak/Stefan)
Serrano Tampequino (mine)
Sweet Pickle (meatfreak/Stefan)
Yellow cayenne (OBNursery/Buckeye)
Fish (sample seed)
Aleppo (Buckeye)
Urfa Biber (meatfreak/Stefan and Old Barn/BEye pepper)

Not planted annuums yet aside from Goat's Weed, Hawaiian Sweet Hot.

5 peppers got an entire 6 pack; otherwise divided into 3 (half 6-p: yes; 6/2 = 3 [hotdamn am tired]) and will prick out. Entire 6: 1. BOC (Jason/GA Growhead) 2. MoA (but another half-6 of that from Walkgood/Ramon and Steve); 3. Tabasco (mine) 4. Bahamian Goat (Greg PIC1), and 5. JA Hab (Ramon/Walkgood)

Many thanks to Mike Rote/Barley_Pop for jerky :dance:  :drooling:  and Jason/GA Growhead, for sending me my own Orange Thai seed and the hottest damn powder I've ever had! :onfire: Also, thank you, John, Ark/Saw for the Harbor Freight coupons for "torch to burn honeysuckle roots." And everybody who has, via PM or otherwise, encouraged, offered ideas on new, additional growing space: fence is gone and if no rain, fell, limb, buck and split with two splitters 8 big trees, Maple, 4 Hickories, Pecan, Black Walnut, Poplar NEXT WEEKEND! :party:

Also, would like ideas on that new (additional) space (100'+ x 50')  with stumps, most are to side except Maple. 1. burn 2. grind (cost prohibitive and don't think rented grinder would get it but might if ya'll have any ideas) 3. Work around them this year . . . raised beds, ugh, the work or level with huge dump truck topsoil. And again, work around what's left of stumps. Rip it in Feb. REALLY rich humus in half that on the "lots of trees" side: 25' x 100'+. Also, high side. Have considered dozer/bucket end of my and cousin's tractor just to help level and "share the wealth" of humus.

Hope everybody has kick-butt 2014 GROW! :fireball:

Edited 1-21-2014

stickman said:

You did... and thanks to you both!

After seeing the results Coheed got with the Horticubes germinating wild chile seeds I had to try them myself... sowed wild seeds on the 3rd, started getting radicles on the 5th and should get the first hooks later today or tomorrow. I'm sold! Especially for fussy seeds. I wonder if Manzanos would do better in Horticubes? I won't be trying it this year though, because I already have a healthy Manzano seedling and the OW plant.

Stay safe out there miz Annie... lord knows I wouldn't want to be out there on a steep and muddy slope with a chainsaw...

Rick, just got in and taking break. Whew! Mofo! Gotta debrief from PTSD flash-forwards. After getting two trees and yeah, trees, wondering why I put 14" bar on when taking down 30" diameter trees (as if I measured them) . . . but got two down, bucked up, rolled outta way, then cleaned up face cord of shit-wood for burning stumps, pallets, works, busted up; then got my "gunk" from garden last year in teepee nearing 6' to burn. Meanwhile, my fire went out (left dampers too open from this morning), emptied most ash, banked coals, started over, cats screaming for litter boxes cleaned and food. One was in my way so I stepped on his tail to let him know I was NOT in the mood. But let's just say that notching, big notches too, on downside slick hill, and old Stihl wanting to die; no--not out of fuel mix, bar oil, none that . . . but decided to use honeysuckle will be burning later this week: pulled on it and wrapped it around my ankles to hold me . . . like made step-intos with the vines, because after notching, had to get back UP hill to backcut, revving the damn thing to keep it from dying. I'm responding to you, Rick. I know Shane commented. :rolleyes:  Not giving him the pleasure. :cool:

Okay, I'm sold. Where did y'all get the horticubes and what happens after they hook and grow? How many and will they fit in 1020 trays? Inquiring minds.

Also, PM me Rick if you know, or have somebody to ask, about a Holz Hausen for letting about 3 cords of split wood, dry. If I'm remembering pi = 3.14 right for circular volume, I think 10' circumference and 5.5 feet high would get it. I think a cord is 128 cu. feet. Gonna do it on pallets on cinder block. So . . . that raises everything by a foot. Have an idea for helper.

Hope you enjoy the IRD's, Rick! I think they'd grow in hanging baskets or that's what am doing with Aji Limon this year. So far every Gotchu seed I planted germed. Want to keep every plant, too. Powder! :party:

stc3248 said:
Annie+Hill+Mud+Chainsaw=A story soon!!!

Germination looking good so far lady!!!

Yeah, right? "What could go wrong?" I thought of you, Shane. Got me through two trees, determined not to have a story to tell you. From phone or laptop, if I had a lap left, after they had to remove my leg(s) in hospital. That was the PTSD forward vision. Hotdamn, honeysuckle vines good for something after all!

Eh, germs are okay. Still waiting for a lot of supers and still mad at myself for beheading a Yellow Jonah: my thinking on helmets now is, leave them alone.

And how the heck Notre Dame is in ATLANTIC COAST Conference: South Bend is on Lake Michigan??!! But the insane work in rain was worth it to come in and see the final score! SKO HEELS! Bring me the dookie with ferret to the House of Dean on Wed! (Watch this winning streak sink like a stone. :rofl:)

annie57 said:

Rick, just got in and taking break. Whew! Mofo! Gotta debrief from PTSD flash-forwards. After getting two trees and yeah, trees, wondering why I put 14" bar on when taking down 30" diameter trees (as if I measured them) . . . but got two down, bucked up, rolled outta way, then cleaned up face cord of shit-wood for burning stumps, pallets, works, busted up; then got my "gunk" from garden last year in teepee nearing 6' to burn. Meanwhile, my fire went out (left dampers too open from this morning), emptied most ash, banked coals, started over, cats screaming for litter boxes cleaned and food. One was in my way so I stepped on his tail to let him know I was NOT in the mood. But let's just say that notching, big notches too, on downside slick hill, and old Stihl wanting to die; no--not out of fuel mix, bar oil, none that . . . but decided to use honeysuckle will be burning later this week: pulled on it and wrapped it around my ankles to hold me . . . like made step-intos with the vines, because after notching, had to get back UP hill to backcut, revving the damn thing to keep it from dying. I'm responding to you, Rick. I know Shane commented. :rolleyes:  Not giving him the pleasure. :cool:

Okay, I'm sold. Where did y'all get the horticubes and what happens after they hook and grow? How many and will they fit in 1020 trays? Inquiring minds.

Also, PM me Rick if you know, or have somebody to ask, about a Holz Hausen for letting about 3 cords of split wood, dry. If I'm remembering pi = 3.14 right for circular volume, I think 10' circumference and 5.5 feet high would get it. I think a cord is 128 cu. feet. Gonna do it on pallets on cinder block. So . . . that raises everything by a foot. Have an idea for helper.

Hope you enjoy the IRD's, Rick! I think they'd grow in hanging baskets or that's what am doing with Aji Limon this year. So far every Gotchu seed I planted germed. Want to keep every plant, too. Powder! :party:

G-- D--- Annie... in the rain too! Get yourself a big mug of hot chocolate and siddown dammit! :rofl:

I had my local hydroponics shop order the Horticubes for me, but coheed has links to mail order on his glog. The material is sorta like the green foam they use in flower arranging, but brown instead and pre-scored and dibbled. I never liked rapid rooters because they don't break down in the soil, but these are insubstantial enough that they'll just break apart and disappear into the soil. Just keep a quarter-inch of water in the bottom of a standard 1020 tray after pre-soaking the sheet. Put the tray on a heat mat and put the dome on top. When the seeds hook up, just cut out the cells with the germinated seeds and transplant into potting soil. Real easy... I got the inch and a quarter cells... they come 104 cells to the sheet and 2 sheets in a box for 20 to 25 dollars. A little pricy compared to seed starting mix, but it's absolutely sterile, there are no fungus gnat larvae in it when it comes, you don't have to adjust the pH like you would with rockwool, and it's engineered to give the optimal amounts of air and water to the seeds to develop strong roots.

I'd heard about Holz Hausen, but it's not a New England tradition. We usually pile it up between treetrunks or the walls in a woodshed, or under an overhang built off the side of a house or barn. The guy who made this video seems to know what he's about though...
Piling the wood up off the ground on cinder blocks or pallets seems like a good idea.

Good luck with the Gochu peppers Stefan sent you, I know you'll put them to good use. Cheers!

Annie, 5th Season shows the 1.25 horticubes online. May have them in store in A-ville or somebody on A-ville should.  I'm holding out for a twin pack of the 1" . I saw somebody on THP using the 1" by cutting off 2-3 blocks and setting them down in a little clear cup, one variety per cup. Looked like a plan.

annie57 said:
Yeah, right? "What could go wrong?" I thought of you, Shane. Got me through two trees, determined not to have a story to tell you. From phone or laptop, if I had a lap left, after they had to remove my leg(s) in hospital. That was the PTSD forward vision. Hotdamn, honeysuckle vines good for something after all!

Good work on the trees.  Nothing like imaging the worst that can happen to keep one focused and safe.

Edit: imagining, though I guess imaging works,too.

stickman said:

G-- D--- Annie... in the rain too! Get yourself a big mug of hot chocolate and siddown dammit! :rofl: When I get like that, Rick, the worst thing is, I get hyper. I hyper took a hot shower to get matted sawdust/chips out of hair (bad girl wears no helmet) and in the rain? I think my Harbor Freight el cheapo earmuffs disintegrated. :shocked: Had I had a good man to have kept the fire going, fed cats, litter boxes, walked dog, might've been different. But it was RECHARGE once in overdrive and had to bottom water poor plants. Put some fans on the unsprouted, etc. The carpel tunnel issue sat in around 7pm. Throttle harder to hold steady in rain.

I had my local hydroponics shop order the Horticubes for me, but coheed has links to mail order on his glog. The material is sorta like the green foam they use in flower arranging, but brown instead and pre-scored and dibbled. I never liked rapid rooters because they don't break down in the soil, but these are insubstantial enough that they'll just break apart and disappear into the soil. Just keep a quarter-inch of water in the bottom of a standard 1020 tray after pre-soaking the sheet. Put the tray on a heat mat and put the dome on top. When the seeds hook up, just cut out the cells with the germinated seeds and transplant into potting soil. Real easy... I got the inch and a quarter cells... they come 104 cells to the sheet and 2 sheets in a box for 20 to 25 dollars. A little pricy compared to seed starting mix, but it's absolutely sterile, there are no fungus gnat larvae in it when it comes, you don't have to adjust the pH like you would with rockwool, and it's engineered to give the optimal amounts of air and water to the seeds to develop strong roots. Hmm, gonna check out coheed's glog when get back from Lowe's. New loppers. New chains for saw. Maybe bar, dunno. Thank you for the info aka "how to!!!" Tax return is dedicated to a crown for back tooth and BRAND NEW Stihl 251 C-BE :dance: . I cranked/ran ET's--18" and man, was in luuuvv. So, getting one. Besides, can't move today. And I workout. Have to break to get rest done before Tues. (I want that lighter, better balanced C-BE.)

I'd heard about Holz Hausen, but it's not a New England tradition. We usually pile it up between treetrunks or the walls in a woodshed, or under an overhang built off the side of a house or barn. The guy who made this video seems to know what he's about though...
Piling the wood up off the ground on cinder blocks or pallets seems like a good idea. Watched video. Hmm. I wonder if built it around a felled truck as begin of the middle. . . healthy trunk. Stability and weight would help disintegrate trunk by end of next winter. Man, after a wood stack has been cleaned out and cleared? Got some humus under pallets. I spread that stuff out with a rack yesterday it was 4" deep and 20' long. Be nice to have lots of land, good hardwoods and built those, maybe sell some firewood, and when done, got primo planting area.

Good luck with the Gochu peppers Stefan sent you, I know you'll put them to good use. Cheers! Thank you so much Rick!! I LOVE Gotchu powder that you sent!! How many plants to get gallon bag of powder?

JJJessee said:
Annie, 5th Season shows the 1.25 horticubes online. May have them in store in A-ville or somebody on A-ville should.  I'm holding out for a twin pack of the 1" . I saw somebody on THP using the 1" by cutting off 2-3 blocks and setting them down in a little clear cup, one variety per cup. Looked like a plan.

5th has them for 8.99 sheet. For 10 sheets 104? . . . about same cost to start seeds in soiless. Am assuming they have them. Need to pick up some stuff anyhow. Note on the clear cups: that works under lights. Dunno but seeds under T-8s love clear cups. I had some looking like wanting to sprout but rest of cell had already, so just to experiment, lifted un-hooked seeds into same cups I soaked in. Every one came up. The 2.5 x 2.5 that I cut down shorter to lower lights? Not. But the clear cups on mats with light? Yeah buddy! If I don't see hooks by end of day on a few under light, bottom watered, into the clear cups used for soaking, they go. No matter how deep--and the cup is a mouthwash cup--so how deep can seed be?--they hook.

Devv said:
Wow Annie!

You're a human dynamo!

Come visit please I need a larger garden!

Kiss my . . . no; can't bend over well today: on ya knees, lol. (You do not need a larger garden.) How was the Alamo? Still tiny? :rofl: Remember it, right? (So small, could be easy to forget. Great men died in there! Shame. Took Tennessee

But I did discover something about creating humus area, Scotty: that ground under those old flats of sh*t wood (dead Maples took down couple years ago) am using to burn out stumps? MAN! Humus! Black stuff that smells so good. So, if ya wet some crap wood, pile it up . . . Pecan would work. I shoveled one bag and spread the rest out. Ironically, lower back didn't hurt but carpel tunnel? It was the rain, having to hold throttle tighter as hand wanted to slip in gloves, wet handle, bla, bla. Putting new chains on today, just stuff like that as hands need break today (if my hands can grip scwrench) before "children" stomp my last nerve Tues.

meatfreak said:
Thanks Annie for making me blush  :oops: I'm just glad they germinated well for you and let's hope it's the same story with the tomatoes. When are you gonna sow those?

Hey, man, Stefan: get a ton of supers to sell!! Seriously! You give great seed.  Tomatoes don't get seeded until March. Looking forward to trying yours. :dance:
Sawyer said:

Good work on the trees.  Nothing like imaging the worst that can happen to keep one focused and safe.

Right-o. When ya feel too safe and all "happy" that's when Kevlar gets ripped. And if no Kevlar . . .

IDK how many Gochus you'd have to plant to get a gallon of powder, but looking back on my 2012 glog I see I got about 3 quarts of powder from 20 plants. It was all pepper flesh too since I stemmed and seeded the pods before they went into the dehydrator. Based on that I'd guesstimate you'd need 25 plants or so. I prepped the soil before planting that year, but I didn't give the plants a side-dressing of appropriate nutes at blossoming time and again when they started podding up... If you do, you'll probably do better than that.

annie57 said:
Kiss my . . . no; can't bend over well today: on ya knees, lol. (You do not need a larger garden.) How was the Alamo? Still tiny? :rofl: Remember it, right? (So small, could be easy to forget. Great men died in there! Shame. Took Tennessee

But I did discover something about creating humus area, Scotty: that ground under those old flats of sh*t wood (dead Maples took down couple years ago) am using to burn out stumps? MAN! Humus! Black stuff that smells so good. So, if ya wet some crap wood, pile it up . . . Pecan would work. I shoveled one bag and spread the rest out. Ironically, lower back didn't hurt but carpel tunnel? It was the rain, having to hold throttle tighter as hand wanted to slip in gloves, wet handle, bla, bla. Putting new chains on today, just stuff like that as hands need break today (if my hands can grip scwrench) before "children" stomp my last nerve Tues.

Sorry to hear you were so sore after your exertions this past weekend Miz Annie... maybe you could benefit from this vid of New England exercizes we do to prepare for heating season... ;)  http://www.frostheaves.com/2011/03/yoga-for-yankees.html
It aughtta be at least worth a chuckle...

Baker's Creek is one of my go-to sources for vegetable seeds.  I usually have very good luck with their seeds.  Like most (all?) of the bigger seed suppliers, they use external seed producers, so there's always the possibility of a mix up, but in my experience, it's a rare occurrence. 

Annie, you worry me lady.....you're going to over do it and they'll find you in the back forty...LOL   What do you do when you get bored...lol   With all the work you put in and shooting neighbors---well you deserve a good grow.  Keep up the good work and I always enjoy reading your next adventure.

Still playing catch up here, I dunno if this season will allow it, sooo many cool glogs this season!

Did you get that new saw?

Pics we need pics...LOL

Tomorrows a rest day, back to work ;)

Have a great week!

Back